• Register Today It's free!

Auto 4x4 to BW1354 from a ranger

Kinserin

Reaction score
City, State
Coaldale, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
Hey, I was about to pickup my BW1354 manual t-case from the wreckers the other day, but the guy said that I'd need a new rear driveshaft.. Now, I totally forgot whether or not he said I needed it to be lengthened, or shortened, or if I actually do need a new one at all.. Anyone know? Im sure someones used a 1354 from a ranger before here.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this for your 91 Explorer? If yes the Explorer driveshaft should be the same, the electric shift and manual shift 1354 t cases are the same size and case.

Yeah, its for my 91. My 4Lo doesnt seem to wanna work, no matter what we change.. The only thing left to change would be the wiring, as I've tried a second t-case as well, new shift motor, new computer, a computer from my brothers 94 that has working 4Lo.. And I stumbled on the BW1354 at a very decent price. The only thing I would need to buy after I grab that t-case, is the shift linkage, and the shifter+boot I believe.. Once I get this swapped in I guess I can start trying to figure out why I overheat, then possibly a tranny rebuild, or get another tranny. THEN I can start playing with all the goodies again.

geesh, sounds like a mess! Those old 91's are tanks though, I say KEEP IT!

The manual T case will fix your problems, should pretty much be a bolt up although do expect to have to mness around with the linkage a bit.

Get everything from the Ranger..

Yeah, I love my truck, no matter what the problem seems to be.. Its drivable, it gets me to work allowing me to make money to fix her up.. her best feature? No rust! lol, its amazing how many newer explorers I see, that have rush right infront of the rear wheels under the doors, and mine is rust free.. The body is almost in perfect shape, minus a little ding in the driver front fender from the previous owner (He liked to ram things.. the front clip is bent too on that side). Paid $800 Canadian for it.. Drove it home, to have the flywheel die, so I replaced that and now shes as is, basically. Pretty decent deal I think, especially for a first vehicle.

yes very decent.

The 91 model years are tanks, they go forever if you jsut keep fixing the little problems.

keep a close eye out for rust there, catch it early and save yourself a huge headache.
some of them never rust some fall apart quickly, just how it goes :)

Back