• Register Today It's free!

Auto to Manuel swap

bluebaboy

Reaction score
City, State
Sunshine coast queensland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
Hi all, just wondering is it going to be a fairly easy swap of a 2002 auto trans to a Manual. I have the donor car which is the same model. Both 2002 xlt explorers, so all the bits I have as in console, pedals etc. I am on my second auto trans and it just crapped itself and sick of wasting money on it. I bought a manual from salvage yard with blown engine. Would be easier to swap engines but my auto explorer has been customised too much therefore want to change to the manual. Any help with advice on wether the swap will be ok would be great. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TBH, you're better off putting the engine into the car that already has the manual trans, unless there's title issues like a salvage declaration, or a drastic difference in the condition like if one is falling apart, and not the other one. Take the time to thoroughly go through each one and keep the best parts of each.

If you want to know the basics though, the bodies for 3rd gens were designed around both transmissions (pulled a console in an 05, and it had a cut-out in the floor for the shifter), so it's just a matter of taking the parts off and putting them on.

The upside is that you have the complete donor car, and you won't have to make a mess of randomly sourced parts or cutting a hole in the floorboard.

The down side is that you'll probably have to swap the dash wiring harness, not just the dash.

Major swap components that you wouldn't expect: brake master cylinder and steering column (were Aussie explorers floor-shift? if so, skip the steering column).

Yeah they are a floor shift. Changing engines is probably easier but I've done so many mods to the auto so it's a huge job to swap all parts either way.

If you're not losing any significant features (such as the dual-zone climate control, power seats, etc) I'd say the best bet is still to swap the specialty parts over.

It might give you a good chance to clean up some of the work you've done, like cleaning up the electrics for your lights and comms; maybe touch up paint on any barwork...replace or service your shocks.... If you've got a body lift, you might have some issues with the clutch line needing to be altered.

ONE THING: The clutch on these is unique to the 2002 4-door explorer SUV. The 2002 4-door explorer pickup and 2-door SUV shared a clutch setup with the Ford Ranger. It was an experimental Dual-mass flywheel and self-adjusting clutch that Ford doesn't really even acknowledge anymore. This clutch was prone to failures that sometimes took the engine or input shaft out along with it. My input shaft is FUBAR from the original clutch.

There is only one vendor for the replacement kit... Globally, I think. The kit is around $1000 USD before shipping, but it is a high-quality kit, and you really don't have any choice. The vendor is Southland Clutch in California. The kit includes the flywheel, friction disc, pressure plate, and slave cylinder.

Back