Auto Trans not shifting correctly from 2nd to 3rd | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Trans not shifting correctly from 2nd to 3rd

WillieTD said:
Yes, call a REPUTABLE tranny shop but don't let them talk you into anything. Check back here first so you can receive some guidance. It could be as simple as a bad TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). I replaced mine and my tranny shifts much better.

Same thing here bad TPS. I replaced it took care of my shifting problems. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had posted above that I had the same problem with my 99 SOHC and was planning on replacing the EPC and bracket. I finally got around to the work 2 weekends ago. I dropped the pan, replaced the epc and bracket, cleaned pan (fine coating of gray sludge), checked the valve body bolts (a couple took a tweak), reassembled with new filter, and refilled the 4.5 quarts. I took it out for a short test drive and still got the same delayed/slipping 2-3 shift every time.
So I took a closer look at all my info. I noticed that the EPC was not in the affected date code called out in the TSB and my bracket was not cracked but the new and old brackets were slightly different at one bend. I was starting to think that it could be the valve body or maybe the intermediate band. So last weekend I took another test drive to try it in manual 2, overdrive on vs. off etc.. To my surprise the slipping had gone away. The first shift may have slipped a little, but after that they seemed to be nice and smooth. Seems like the new fluid must have worked it way in.
After that I did a flush and installed an inline spin-on (FL-300) filter as outlined elsewhere on this board. Took 14 quarts to go from black to red, but the process was very managable. Another test drive was fine. I'm hoping it will be all set, but need to get it registered and drive a few hundred miles before I'm totally convinced.

Did you ever solve this problem?

I'm having the same problem with shifts from 2nd to 3rd in my '98 with 4.0L SOHC V6 and 5R55E transmission.

Actually, I had the problem on a trip to Baltimore two months ago, and now it has gone away. I'm thinking of towing a 6000lb trailer cross-country soon, so I'd like to make sure the transmission is healthy.

The problem sounds exactly like that described in TSB 99-16-10, but that TSB is not applicable to a '98.... :confused:

George Explores said:
When I put my truck in drive and take off, it shifts from first to second without any problems, but when I go from second to third, it revs up about 500 rpm(kind of like when you put the clutch in while you've still got the gas pedal pushed) then shifts into third. The only time it does that is when I'm shifting from second to third. Other than the revving sound, there are no other unusual sounds coming from the truck at all.

Sometimes when I'm driving, the O/D light will flash and the truck with forget that first gear exists. When I take off from a dead stop, It feels like I'm taking off in second gear. I don't remember if I have the same problem with it revving up between second and third after that happens, but it shifts normally after I get going, I think.

Does this sound like something that is not going to cost me $2000? Would it make any difference if I changed the trans filter? I checked the fluid and it's good. Any ideas?

You can't tow a 6000 trailer across the country with an Explorer, let alone one that already has tranny issues. Save yourself the headache of losing a tranny part way through your trip and move your stuff some other way.

Reactions: ~X~

How is your transmission fluid, color, mileage, etc.? See my post above. My 99 is still shifting smooth around 2000 miles later. If you think the fluid is questionable, I highly reccommend the flush with the cooling lines procedure. The external filter mod and/or more cooling would help for towing as well.

Well hell man....you got more of a response than I did for the same question I asked yesterday! haha! I have an 01 sport and mine is doing the exact same thing. Where it revs(slips) when going into third from second. And the blinking "o/d off" light. I took it to two shops yesterday morning and both told me the same thing. My clutch pack was going out. and I was going to need a soft parts rebuild. the cost from one shop was 1132.00 to 1800.00(which sounded a little fishy to me with such a big gap in price) and the other was a flat 1300.00 for the rebulid. If I needed a total rebuild(hard parts and soft) it would run me between 2100-2300 dollars. Ford had a remanufactured tranny for 2136.00. If i have to have a full rebuild I'll get it from Ford. Good luck man....i hope your story turns out better than mine.

Your issue is more likely the valve body problem, which should be an easy fix. Another symptom of the issue is no engine braking in 1st gear. If you're on a hill, put into first gear and see if the engine brakes. If the tranny coasts (freewheels) then it the valve bodies. Search for engine braking in low for more details. A rebuild should not be necessary for the slipping 2-3 shift.

Reactions: ~X~

Back