and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Automatic Transmission Cross- Reference Guide.

Discussion in 'Aerostar Forum' started by Peter Westling, October 26, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Peter Westling

Peter Westling Active Member

City, State:
      Rosersberg, Sweden
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT
      On my way on the information highway I stumbled across this:

http://www.drivetrain.com/autotranscrossref.html#FORD

Aerostar 1986-1995 A4LD
      Bronco II 1985-1991 A4LD
      Explorer 1991-1994 A4LD
      Granada 3/1985 - Up A4LD
      Mustang 1987-1993 A4LD
      Ranger 1985-1994 A4LD
      Thunderbird 1987-1988 A4LD

What is noticable is that if the A4LD is a little bit too weak for the Explorer, how does it work on the BroncoII then..?

The question is... can I just get a tranny from a granada and put in my explorer? Is it a perfect match or is there differences between models?

Regards

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      As far as "basic guts" goes, each model year's A4LD was the same regardless of vehicle to the best of my knowledge (possible exception might be single versus double wrap band). Running changes were made improving various aspects of the internals throughout the years, so laters ones were better than earlier ones. Valve Bodies are a different story. Pre about 91, the trannies were single solenoid. Starting in 91 (I think, not entirely sure this is the right date) they went to 2 solenoid. So you would need the right era (1 solenoid or 2) for the computer control to work. There were some valve body calibrations that differed between various applications, but I would not rank those as "mission critical" and would suggest a shift kit and VB rebuild in any event. Lastly, I am not sure that there may not have been different bellhousings depending on the application (2.8, 3.0, 4.0), but I bet someone on this board could comment on that.

4. Peter Westling

City, State:
      Rosersberg, Sweden
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT
      Glacier. You know it can be unhealthy, nearly on edge of sanity to actually know so much about transmissions. I am glad youre out there.

5. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      lol. yer right. I'll soon be doing a photo thread on the Transfer case rebuild. Probably do it on the Ford ranger forum (Rangerstation)..... but anyway I'll get my mind out of the transmission gutter...

Thanks for the kind words!

6. Peter Westling

City, State:
      Rosersberg, Sweden
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT
      Great, I will looking forward to that. Please keep us updated if you post it to the rangerforum.

7. asavage

asavage New Member

City, State:
      Duvall, Wash.
      Year and Model:
      1997 Ford Aerostar E4WD
      '86-88 Aero A4LDs have a single solenoid, for OD Inhibit.
      '89-until the 4R44e/4R55e changeover, they have two solenoids, adding one for computer control of the TCC lockup.

I've had both.