AWD front differential swap 28 to 35 splines. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD front differential swap 28 to 35 splines.

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
this seams like a popular swap. After talking with Josh yesterday I went hunting for info. It seams the bronco 2 had the same hybrid diff as we do. And those guys claim it just a bolt in swap in a week end project. There only concern was the front drive shaft some needed to take an inch out because of there big lift.
I'm leaving the pirate 4x4 link with there input for those thing about this also.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/572240-dana-28-35-qs-bronco-ii.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TTB is easier to work on than the aerostar front axle.

I figured that,they only easy thing I've done on that van was the key switch the other day 5 min. After doing a lot of bronco 2 fourm readings it seams strange the bk2 used the same Dana 28 diff as the areostar and the Ford ranger 4 cyl trucks. They advised a very close check because Ford used the 35 outer pumpkin but put a 28 inside yet these units didn't explode. Also they went with an explorer 8.8 rear because the explorer axle was larger and had the hd spline cut compare to other 8.8 I can't remember that well this morning bad night with Mr.C so it was heavy Meds. Today I'll check on the transfer case leak. I was haveing a hard time the spray sealer I bought was a permatex transmission sealer. Flex shot stuff melted from the oil. This stuff sealed good but I had some oil left after I drained it and created a 2 pin hole spots. If it slowed it up that much I can live with adding fluid until I get this stuff from Devon no one in Nevada carries it. It a new auto epoxie for truckers in a tube you can have disel fuel coming out and you just push a wad on the spot the leaks stop then you smear the epoxie on the crack imbed a wire screen in the stuff and when dried fixed for ever. They claim plastic,metal gas,plastic fuel,oil tanks. They also make plastic fuel tank, water and plastic radiator tank repair stuff also.

are the front axles in aerostars failing?300 hp lsi camaros had 28 spline axles and they held up with street tires.

The joints on the axles I believe and the 28 is shamefully small inside. Looks like a toy. I posted links from ranger that shows the vas difference. The bk2 on a good day eating a cheese cake or 2 might weight in at 2,300 pounds and the nose of that thing isn't that heavy even with a 302 v8. That awd van belong at a BBQ eating contest it weights in about 4,000. Tows 5,000 and only had a v6. The Dana 28 tc scucked the life out of it 24/7 4x4. So I can say it's like a time bomb. Ford went cheap. Lucky for around 2 grand you can beef up the underside and have a 4x4 van that kicks ass. Astro are problems I was going to get one before I bought this. There's more 4x4 parts for astros but the van just brakes down. My s10 blazer was allway at the dealer.

are the front axles in aerostars failing?300 hp lsi camaros had 28 spline axles and they held up with street tires.
The dana 35 hybrid becomes a weak link when you change out the transfer case to one with a low range.

Back