AWD issue and Question(help me) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD issue and Question(help me)

Basiclly, it is comming from F150. It is not seen in Turkey.

It has nothing to do with American cars. All sorts of AWD cars have viscous couplings. They all use the same principle.

Ditto, any actual AWD transfer case has to have internal parts that allow enough "differentiation" for turning wheels(different shaft speeds). But lots of vehicles may be called AWD or confused with odd descriptions, and not actually be AWD. The V6 Explorer versions you see over there are either 2WD, or automatic 4WD(A4WD). That's the one people often think is AWD, but those have a clutch inside which is disengaged most of the time.

I also would want to have the vehicle repaired, by a very reputable place that will document every detail of the work. The black ATF that comes out wouldn't be absolute proof, but it would prove that there is a huge amount of wear of the viscous clutch inside. That TC fluid should be replaced regularly, what are the chances that you had that done last year?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only time the fluid looks black in a 4404 is if the viscous clutch is blown out (seal broken). Fluid changes to a blown out tc won't do you much good. That would tell the story for the OP if it was black but the rig would still drive smooth if that's all it was.

I'd think too something else would give before the hy-vo chain broke so it can't be that clacking around.

Depending on yours means, a 2wd swap might be cheaper and better for you if you don't need awd. A 2wd swap would be two spindles and discs, driveshaft and a 2wd 4r70w output shaft and extension housing.... and the removal and disassembly of the transmission.

The only time the fluid looks black in a 4404 is if the viscous clutch is blown out (seal broken). Fluid changes to a blown out tc won't do you much good. That would tell the story for the OP if it was black but the rig would still drive smooth if that's all it was.

I'd think too something else would give before the hy-vo chain broke so it can't be that clacking around.

I don't think the '96 used a CV joint connection to the TC. I believe the '96 used a double-cardan (spelling?). When my '00 front shaft CV went it clicked like crazy.

OP - If you're a DIY'er, you could try removing the front drive shaft and see what happens. Just be aware that while your truck may drive okay w/out the front shaft, it will creep in PARK, so it's best to chock your wheels when parked.

Yessir.

That's why I think it's the front cv axles or diff. The double cardan shaft is pretty stout.

Check transfer case fluid
Check front cv axles
Check for leaking on the front diff
Check front driveshaft
Jack the rig up off all 4's and have a helper sit in the rig in D while you try and locate where the noise in coming from, SAFELY.
Remove front driveshaft and see what changes

As I remember there was a fluid at ground when my car was on check. I am not aware that where it came from.
I have a sound on my transfer case for sure. I am very sure of it. And Ford Service told me that it is comming from the bottom center of my car.
My car is AWD, It is not automatic as A4WD as I was driving on snow or even in city road. I have some feelings that I remember from my previous car (EU type Ford Ranger mechanical 4WD)
I am not able to check my car, because it is at Orginal Ford Service till the end of this trial.. Because of this trial, they don't want me next to my car in case of any kind of possible effect on something.
Ford Service representative exactly told me that front shaft from the transfer case has gap ("rotational gap". not horizontal or veritical connection of shaft to body/case). That means something might be broken in transfer case. and also there is a gap in joint of that shaft as he shown. and also there is a gap at shafts between differential and hubs(again rotational). All still operational, but according to cam record, they really tried and successed on turning front wheels when rear wheels on solid ground. and they tried "rear breaks test" and my car tried to go from out of the roller. Then They understood that they can't test without all wheels on roller. They just put front wheels on free roller to test rear breaks..

for last trip to Ford Service when I was maneuvering in parking area, there was a sound from the bottom of my car. I was at reverse gear, and turning my car to left to pull my car our of my parking lot. I was a bit loudly clicking.. Ford Service guy told me that it was about transfer case.

I am not a DIY'er. Just some parts I can change alone in my open air parking area.. I can change body panel(not door. I repaired my doors inside panels all plastic), front bumper maybe, or side step..

Yes all fluids was changed at Ford last year.

Note: Centaurus5.0 .. you are writing a bit in different posts. I am not able to answer all of them by changing pages. I hope I answered all questions. I am not an expert on mechanics. I am understanding them but I am not doing on my own.

Good time for a 4406 swap?

How long has the rig been in Turkey? It's a 96'. Inspection every two years...

Inspection is every 2 years periodically for gasoline engines.
Diesels are every year periodically.

I am checking fluids every year as my car computer told me so. But all fluids are changed last year. My car was "like a dream" till this inspection happens.

Dang. Sounds like it's all jacked up for sure. Cracked the transfer case along with everything else.

Pretty rough spot your in. Not much you can do now.

If you think you had the fluid changed in the transfer case last year, that would be very good. Find that paperwork showing the TC fluid replaced. That would help to prove that the TC fluid should be transparent(normal condition), and then you/they can check it now.

The play you report in the front drive parts, it could be normal. There is more play in higher mileage vehicles, it would take an expert to say if it is excessive or not.

Hey, do you have the ability to rebuild the TC yourself? If you can order the parts a lot less than 4k, even order a core unit from a online source. Import taxes what percentage?

Hey, do you have the ability to rebuild the TC yourself? If you can order the parts a lot less than 4k, even order a core unit from a online source. Import taxes what percentage?

Well it is impossible for me. Even if I got it online, it generally get stuck at customs.. So it is at Ford Orginal Service

Well it is impossible for me. Even if I got it online, it generally get stuck at customs.. So it is at Ford Orginal Service

The viscous coupling and other hard parts to rebuild the AWD I understand that they cost about $400 or so. Almost any place that can rebuild a transmission or transfer case, should be able to handle these BW4404's or BW4403's.

Update: as it seems witness experts are agreed on faulty inspection procedure and possible vicious coupling malfunction.
"But" they are not covering any shaft on vehicle. I mean that "there was a rotational gaps on back and front drive shafts" as I informed on first post.
They believe that Aging and possible depreciation may cause such rotational gaps.

I would like to know "what happens" if I don't touch drive shafts.(Leaving them as they were temporarily). I don't have enough money to recover all expenses for now.

The viscous coupling and other hard parts to rebuild the AWD I understand that they cost about $400 or so. Almost any place that can rebuild a transmission or transfer case, should be able to handle these BW4404's or BW4403's.

They are not able to.. They don't know anything. So Ford informed me as it should be "transfer case change" (not rebuilding it)

I presume that you mean a dealership that handles Ford vehicles. That my be your biggest trouble there fro taking care of that Explorer. If you can get that testing facility to pay for the repairs, then I'd let them handle replacing the AWD TC. If that won't happen, then the next best choice should be to find a shop that will R&R the AWD feasibly, and a business which rebuilds transfer case closer to you, than importing one.

There’s nothing specific to know. As stated if someone can rebuild a transmission (ANY transmission) they can rebuild a 4404 transfer case.

Back