awd mountaineer with 3.55 seem faster the limited with 3.73's why | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

awd mountaineer with 3.55 seem faster the limited with 3.73's why

gerard143

Reaction score
City, State
auburn,ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
i test drove an 05 limited v8 with 3.73's then a 05 premier mountaineer with 3.55s both loaded and the mountaineer seemed like it was night and day faster, maybe i should retest the limited explorer again, but from what i recall i was like wow this explorer is slow, then with the mountaineer i said to myself this aint bad at all.

and the mountaineer AWD weighs more. correct me if i'm wrong but 3.73's should accelerate better without a doubt .....

what gives..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's your imagination. That and probably the AWD has a different feel to it.

Was the explorer a v8 as well?

Personally, I'd go with the Explorer. Far more support for it (aftermarket-wise), even though they are basically the same vehicle.

I also like the look of the Ex more than the Mounty too.

We have an 04 EB and it pulls like none other. Not sure what the gear ratio is though.

well for sure i like the explorer limited, i think its the best looking. i also drove an avaitor, by that thing has some nuts, right up there with the hemi. felt just as fast.

gauges in it are amazing also. no one can type that infinity adrenaline audio system. that system is amazing in that dodge. i was about 3x better and louder then any other high end audio system i've heard in any of the other brands.

anyways back to the explorer i guess i will test drive the v8 explorer again.

i want it but my credit sux with a recent bankruptcy. how hard is it to get credit and do a red carpet option lease/buy plan.

any ideas?

boy i swear that mountaineer seemed fast and a meaner sounding exhaust though.

gerard143 said:
well for sure i like the explorer limited, i think its the best looking. i also drove an avaitor, by that thing has some nuts, right up there with the hemi. felt just as fast.

gauges in it are amazing also. no one can type that infinity adrenaline audio system. that system is amazing in that dodge. i was about 3x better and louder then any other high end audio system i've heard in any of the other brands.

anyways back to the explorer i guess i will test drive the v8 explorer again.

i want it but my credit sux with a recent bankruptcy. how hard is it to get credit and do a red carpet option lease/buy plan.

any ideas?

boy i swear that mountaineer seemed fast and a meaner sounding exhaust though.

Unfortunately, with a recent bankruptcy, it will probably not be too easy. Putting 15-20% down will help though.

Regarding the weights, there isn't much difference, unless the Ex didn't have the 3rd row.

If the Limited was a 4WD, or AWD, the gearing would be the biggest difference.
Two identical vehicles often will feel differently. If there is no significant difference between them, buy the one you like better, or try a different version of the one you like better. Good luck,

Back