[B]Can I Clean the Lower Intake while...???[/B] | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

[B]Can I Clean the Lower Intake while...???[/B]

prozachappy

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer...sportster
Can I Clean the Lower Intake while...???

I'm in the middle of putting in new Bosch design III fuel injectors, have the upper intake and fuel rail out. As you can imagine with 175K on the engine, the carbon build-up is like chocolate icing on a cake! I know I can scrub down the upper and fuel rail, their off the truck, but can I spray the lower down and scrube it with a wire brush while it sits on the block? I was thinking of just spraying a little intake cleaner on it, taking a little wire brush, and running the shop vac...while scrubing off the carbon. Not sure though if when any excess gunk falls down in...if it can do any harm??? or if it will just burn off when I get her back together and started up ??? All the fuel injector ports/holes on the lower are mighty clogged and dirty...it be a shame to have to leave that all there!!! Any help...ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks, Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump!!! anyone ? about to start putting things back together.

I would say its too risky of something going down into the combustion camber. I would leave it alone, or remove it.

Don't mess with anything that you aren't sure that you can catch. Do clean what you can though.
Try using the Sea Foam next, that's what it is designed for. Many people here swear by it. If it works, then that carbon build up is what it will remove, safely. Good luck,
DonW

Yeah, seafoam is great, as is the new Gumout intake/throttle spray...but since i had every thing all off anyway I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone..u-know ? Guess I'll just CAREFULLY remove the hanging globs of carbon with the shop vac put her together, and leave the rest to MR. Gumout! Thanks for the input !!!
Jason

Hello, also retorque all of the lower intake bolts, and look for any place where it may leak. Look for swollen gaskets, etc. IF you find anything, change them, or clean and RTV over the areas. Good luck,
Don

Update: Well, I would not have been satisfied just leaving all that build-up on the lower intake ports and fuel injector holes. So what I ended up doing is shoving small rags down into the ports as far as I could to block anything from falling. Took my shop vac w/smallest adapter and held that over the port to suck up debris as I scraped each one with something like a dental tool. Worked out rather nicely I might add. With a little carb cleaner and some scrapping the ports came pretty clean. Then before pulling the rags out, I suctioned out the ports real good. New fuel injectors are great!! Noticable increase in low end ! She actually gets up and GOES..again. These new Bosch D III injectors are suppose to increase horsepower. I need to drive it a bit to really grasp any changes. Really, I am more interested in my MPG than anything. On good days..with the wind...I get about 15mpg...so hopefully this will put her back near 20...and maybe just maybe I can start feeding her 87 again without that annoying pINg !! Don, I did retorque the lower..everything looked fine. Thanks for everyone's input.
Jason

Back