• Register Today It's free!

B2293 Code 19

lmarkie74

Reaction score
City, State
Morganton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Ford Explorer, XLS
Explorer is now flashing Code 19. A few weeks ago, I had a different problem with the air bag indicator. It was 2 broke wires behind the green connector, under the driver's seat.

The new code showed up after I replaced the 4x4 module. I don't think that this had anything to do with it, but I do now have 4 wheel drive.

In reading up on this code:

B2293 Restraint System - Air Bag Status (Driver Front Air Bag Circuit Failure)

Can be caused by wiring, terminals or connectors
faulty clockspring
faulty air bag module
faulty restraint control module

Any ideas?

I'm having a similar problem with my front impact sensor.

First of all always use caution when working on the ABS. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and wait at least two minutes (I do ten for safety). Then I'd remove the airbag itself, and test for power at the red connector, also test for power at the Yellow and black connectors for the horn and whatnot. Test for power where those wires connect just in front of the clockspring as well. To remove the airbag, pop off the two plastic cover on either side of the steering wheel (with battery disconnected), two 8mm bolts inside each cover, wheel airbag will pop right out. Always face the ford emblem side away from your body and also when placing aside ford emblem side facing up at all times. If the airbag itself could be faulty take extra precaution with it.

The connectors can take some time to undo, the red one as a single tab you left up to clear another tab, it will come right apart. For the black and yellow ones, there's two tabs on either side, squeeze inwards and pull back away from airbag unit.

If there's power there, chances are it's either the clockspring or the airbag unit. If there isn't power there, it could be a break in one of the wires, or a faulty connection further down the harnesses. Also it could just be a faulty connection upstream from those connectors if there is power at them ( i.e. where the wires connect into the airbag), could just be a loose connection. Always start simple first.

If you need to pull the wheel you'll need a small two jaw gear puller, not a steering wheel puller (it won't work on these for some reason), and also a T50 torx driver to remove the bolt. I usually tighten down the puller a ways, then lightly bang on the backside of the wheel to loosen it up, and alternate back and forth- always mark the relation of the shaft to the wheel before removal with a marker line.

No power to Yellow and Black connector. Removed clockspring and measured continuity at the two pins of the Yellow and Black connector. Connector on back side of clockspring has a shorting bar. The wires are gray/orange and gray/white the same as the Yellow and Black connector. I'm getting an open reading. Ribbon inside must have a break. I hope this is the problem.

Why are Air Bag Clocksprings, 1L2Z-14A664-AE, $413 from the dealer. I found some after markets for $275. Other models range from $60 to less than the price for a 2002 Ford Explorer.

Anyone know of cheaper ones or can this one be repaired?

Problem Solved: Found a used Clockspring on Ebay for $60. When the Clockspring arrived, I immediately checked continuity at the Yellow and Black connector. Continuity was perfect. This again is the gray/orange and gray/white with the shorting bar. Replaced old clockspring with used clockspring. No Air Bag light.

Back