and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

back-up camera?

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2017 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Gharp, November 1, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Gharp

Gharp New Member

Year and Model:
      2013 explorer
      has anyone figured out how to activate the rear view camera for use at any time? like for monitoring a trailer load or reading license plates of tailgaters.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Jrister24

Jrister24 New Member

City, State:
      Sterrett, AL
      Year and Model:
      2010 GMC Sierra
      I would be surprised if that's possible without some major hacking. Even most after market systems won't do this. I guess they consider it a distraction.

4. foxtemple

foxtemple Active Member

City, State:
      Philadelphia, PA
      Year and Model:
      2011 Ford Explorer
      Not possible unless you buy and install a Ford Sync "lockpick". You can make the rearview camera stay on a little after you are out of reverse by activating the rearview camera delay option though.

5. FordIVTteam

FordIVTteam Official Ford Rep

City, State:
      Dearborn, MI
      Year and Model:
      Ford Explorer
      Hi, Gharp!

There's no way to activate it while driving, unless of course you're a stunt driver and go everywhere in Reverse. ;)

Rebecca

6. RandyH2

RandyH2 Active Member

City, State:
      MI
      Year and Model:
      '11 Limited AWD
      Wait another year or two.... I imagine every manufacturer will claim it is not possible on their vehicle for liability reasons. Then someone will show them how to rewire the reverse gear selection sensor... Or plug in a module to fool the system... If there is sufficient demand, I bet someone will make it happen.

7. Dr Plastic

Dr Plastic Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Newport News, Virginia
      Year and Model:
      '15 Limited FWD
      All you have to do is spoof it....rig a switch that fakes the system into thinking it is in reverse!

8. cnsheets

cnsheets Active Member

Year and Model:
      2011 Explemoner
      I had an Car that had a reverse camera that was triggered when the reverse lights came on. I thought the camera would have been tied into the transmission nuetral safety switch, but it wasn't, only the reverse light. So I tapped into the control wire, mounted a switch under the dash, a diode, and viola!, any time, any where, any gear or speed, I just hit the switch and the reverse camera came one. Pretty trippy watching it as you are moving forward as fast speed. But it worked! I could sit in park, hit the switch, and watch everything going on behind me. Stealth!

9. RandyH2

RandyH2 Active Member

City, State:
      MI
      Year and Model:
      '11 Limited AWD
      THIS is what makes the forums so great. :)

10. CompanyExplorer

CompanyExplorer New Member

City, State:
      Reading, Ma
      Year and Model:
      2013 Ford Explorer LTD
      I had an Infiniti FX and someone on that forum modded the camera to stay on while driving, so it is possible.