• Register Today It's free!

Rearview camera view backwards

Chris-74

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I just got my Explorer back from the body shop after being rear ended a couple weeks ago. Rear hatch had to be replaced among other parts. I noticed when backing into my parking spot when I arrived home that the backup camera view is backwards (ie mirror image) and I can’t for the life of me recall if it was like that normally or not. I have a feeling it shouldn’t be backwards; can anyone confirm that?

Thanks
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should look exactly like it would if you looked in the rearview mirror. What's on the left of the car is on the left of the screen...

I just got my Explorer back from the body shop after being rear ended a couple weeks ago. Rear hatch had to be replaced among other parts. I noticed when backing into my parking spot when I arrived home that the backup camera view is backwards (ie mirror image) and I can’t for the life of me recall if it was like that normally or not. I have a feeling it shouldn’t be backwards; can anyone confirm that?

Thanks
Chris
Take it back to the dealer Either they didn't program it to your vehicle or the camera may be defective. There are similar posts in this thread; Rearview Camera Problems

Peter

Thanks, that thread didn’t come up when I did a search.

Does anyone anything about APIM I replaced one twice and everything works except when put in reverse
camera shows objects opposite on the screen
If I am sitting in the driver side and if a car is parked on my left screen will show it on the right camera was never replaced I did a master reset still nothing there has to be another area for calibrating
I went into the forscan program and went under the APIM subtitle and found the rear camera it only showed
US, European for adjustments... unless its under another subtitle like PCM haven't looked there yet

any ideas would be helpful Thx

It should look exactly like it would if you looked in the rearview mirror. What's on the left of the car is on the left of the screen...
let me know how it got corrected if it did
I am having either exact or very similar problem : here is my issue
Does anyone anything about APIM I replaced one twice and everything works except when put in reverse
camera shows objects opposite on the screen
If I am sitting in the driver side and if a car is parked on my left screen will show it on the right camera was never replaced I did a master reset still nothing there has to be another area for calibrating
I went into the forscan program and went under the APIM subtitle and found the rear camera it only showed
US, European for adjustments... unless its under another subtitle like PCM haven't looked there yet

any ideas would be helpful Thx

The member you quoted never had the problem. He just mentioned what you should see.
In your post you said you found 'rear camera' under the APIM subtitle but it was only for US, European for adjustments. Why didn't you do the adjustments/calibration? Are you not in the US?

Peter

The member you quoted never had the problem. He just mentioned what you should see.
In your post you said you found 'rear camera' under the APIM subtitle but it was only for US, European for adjustments. Why didn't you do the adjustments/calibration? Are you not in the US?

Peter
I went into the forscan program(APIM) section and found the rear camera and there was no adjustments other than switching from US to European... I am in the US like I had mentioned before I had switched out two modules and both showed the opposite view. everything else works good.. I'm thinking an adjustment has to be in another section I just don't know where yet.. and I had talked with Jason and he didn't want to help other than selling one of his units
we get on here looking for help for ea other.. I appreciate your feedback

There is a post in another thread on this issue that mentions that you can use FORScan to calibrate the rearview camera. Not sure exactly what the calibration involves. Maybe someone familiar with FORScan can help.

Peter

Back