Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 84 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
F150EB: I wonder if it has to do more so with the gasoline formulation/type/brand then??? All I've ran is QT 93 Octane and Chevron 93 Octane for the first 600 miles thru it. Then I filled up in Florida with Tom Thumb 93 Octane I believe and now the problem starts. Either way, I need to find out just where it's getting in at. I wonder if anyone has tried a smoke test thru the cabin of sorts to see where most of the leak is coming in at? It's a burning plastic smell, (chemical catalyst type reaction) to me. I've been turning wrenches on my own cars for 20+years and have yet to smell this peculiar and awful smell... I hope it's not the catalytic converters!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blue1ce, if you run it hard with the front and rear A/C on, with the recirculation button pressed there is a good chance you will smell what we are all displeased about. One way or another I'm determined to find out exactly what this problem is and fix it or have Ford fix it. This is the best vehicle I've driven and ridden in, in years; and I don't want to have to get rid of her. It's fast, handles exceptionally, is extremely comfortable, good looking, has more than enough room for my (3) member family, my clients, and sans this damn smell from all other accounts is an extremely reliable vehicle... From years of playing sports and a serious boating accident I have back problems, (go figure), that I deal with daily by lifting weights, playing recreational/club sports, i.e. (tennis), cycling, and stretching. This is the first vehicle that actually allows me to experience half the pain I normally experience daily due to it's heated seats, lumbar/bolster supports, and cabin layout. I'm not going to just let it go...

F150EB: I wonder if it has to do more so with the gasoline formulation/type/brand then??? All I've ran is QT 93 Octane and Chevron 93 Octane for the first 600 miles thru it. Then I filled up in Florida with Tom Thumb 93 Octane I believe and now the problem starts. Either way, I need to find out just where it's getting in at. I wonder if anyone has tried a smoke test thru the cabin of sorts to see where most of the leak is coming in at? It's a burning plastic smell, (chemical catalyst type reaction) to me. I've been turning wrenches on my own cars for 20+years and have yet to smell this peculiar and awful smell... I hope it's not the catalytic converters!
The type of gasoline could affect the rotten egg or sulphur smell if that is the issue. All gasoline contains various amount of sulphur. The amount of it is not regulated so some brands will contain higher levels than others. I don't think that this is the issue that most are experiencing as that smell is rather unique. The sulphur tends to build up in the catalytic converter and a sudden hard acceleration producing a burst of exhaust through it could release the odour but it should not linger.

Peter

Blue1ce, if you run it hard with the front and rear A/C on, with the recirculation button pressed there is a good chance you will smell what we are all displeased about. One way or another I'm determined to find out exactly what this problem is and fix it or have Ford fix it. This is the best vehicle I've driven and ridden in, in years; and I don't want to have to get rid of her. It's fast, handles exceptionally, is extremely comfortable, good looking, has more than enough room for my (3) member family, my clients, and sans this damn smell from all other accounts is an extremely reliable vehicle... From years of playing sports and a serious boating accident I have back problems, (go figure), that I deal with daily by lifting weights, playing recreational/club sports, i.e. (tennis), cycling, and stretching. This is the first vehicle that actually allows me to experience half the pain I normally experience daily due to it's heated seats, lumbar/bolster supports, and cabin layout. I'm not going to just let it go...

I don't own one, yet, but will be pulling the trigger on a 16 very soon. I agree, it is a great looking car and from my test drives, it rode very well. I'm just ready concerned about this situation if I'm about to spend 50k on a car. I wish I knew if this problem was completely eliminated from the 16's.

I can't see it being the gas, if that was the case all cars would have similar issues depending on which gas was used. I have never been in a vehicle that exhibits this behavior.

If you do miraculously find a fix , you should seriously become the chief engineer for Ford as obviously the bunch they have now DO NOT HAVE A CLUE. Then of course you have to remember that it is cheaper to deny the issue than fix it. If Ford ever gets brought up in front of Congress on this matter then a Fix will be forthcoming and not until.
For the poster looking at the 2016 Ex ;unless you tear it apart you will never know if the venting is different and don't rely on the salesperson because they will tell you anything you want to hear to sell a car. At least in the states you have the lemon laws to protect you .......... In Canada.........you buy it ......it's yours, end of story.
Good luck on that fix.

If you do miraculously find a fix , you should seriously become the chief engineer for Ford as obviously the bunch they have now DO NOT HAVE A CLUE. Then of course you have to remember that it is cheaper to deny the issue than fix it. If Ford ever gets brought up in front of Congress on this matter then a Fix will be forthcoming and not until.
For the poster looking at the 2016 Ex ;unless you tear it apart you will never know if the venting is different and don't rely on the salesperson because they will tell you anything you want to hear to sell a car.......
That is the frustrating part. If it was just the venting then why doesn't every owner have the issue? I didn't and neither did the 4 other people in my area that I spoke with. I'm still looking at a 2017/18 Platinum when my lease is up.

Peter

That is the frustrating part. If it was just the venting then why doesn't every owner have the issue? I didn't and neither did the 4 other people in my area that I spoke with. I'm still looking at a 2017/18 Platinum when my lease is up.

Peter

My unofficial thought about this is the smell shouldn't exist in the first place inside or outside, doing whatever they do in the TSB with the vent is a band aid. In fact I don't think the vent is really the issue, it's just exacerbating it. My theory for now is the exhaust system (or another component that gets hot towards the rear of the car) is heating up and/or causing an adjacent item to smell. I'm trying to think of what parameters change or heat up under WOT that don't change when cruising down the highway at a constant speed, exhaust and the rear end, differentials, transmission, etc. At the same time what could it be that it's also impossible for them to fix or something so cost prohibitive they would rather take the car back. Perhaps Ford really just doesn't care at all and hasn't put significant resources towards fixing it in this body style.

Ok, so we drove the 330 mile trip back to Atlanta today from the Pan Handle... I intentionally ran the Sport HARD a minimum of 10 times. (5) from 0-70 going to 6100-6400 RPM's, and (5) times from 60-95mph, (back roads, zero traffic & the wife and kid in the 4Runner "chase vehicle" behind me.) I also intentionally shut the rear A/C system off and manually closed the ceiling and console vents as well in the Sport. I COULDN'T REPRODUCE THE SMELL!!! So, from my informal but I feel semi-thorough test, the burnt hair/chemical smell from running the engine & exhaust system hot & hard enters the cabin from via the rear HVAC system. The chemical smell enters my vehicle ONLY when 2 things happen. I run the engine hard & the rear HVAC controls are pumping A/C into the cabin. Although this is NOT a fix it is a temporary fix until I figure out what I'm going to do until I sniff out where the exhaust leak is coming in the cabin from. If I do that then I don't have to worry about tracing down where the leak is coming from in the exhaust system. I'll continue to run the Sport hard around town tomorrow running errands, to-from the gym, swimming practice for my daughter etc. She has a sense of smell that even rivals mine, which is good. If something stinks she'll tell me! Other members with the burnt chemical smell try shutting down the rear A/C system from the front control panel, (LCD display), and via the rear analogue controls, and the actual vent shades/vectors. Then run the Explorer hard and report back if you smell anything...

On another note I was glancing at other vehicle's tail pipes today before leaving our beach condo... I noticed Dodge trucks have holes drilled into the bottom of the tail pipes at the 6 O'clock position. I wonder what the purpose of that is?

On another note I was glancing at other vehicle's tail pipes today before leaving our beach condo... I noticed Dodge trucks have holes drilled into the bottom of the tail pipes at the 6 O'clock position. I wonder what the purpose of that is?

Weep holes for condensation/water.

I assume the issues are not being seen if the explorer does not have rear air..

Unless every model comes with it...

I never have the rear air on and get the "smell" a lot.

I never have the rear air on and get the "smell" a lot.

Make sure it hasn't came on inadvertently/accidentally from the in-dash control LCD screen. (I had turned mine on without realizing.) Make sure the analogue controls on the back of the front console/arm rest are off, (fan motor setting to (0) position), and the vents/vector shades in the ceiling are closed shut as well. I had to do ALL of the aforementioned before the smell diminished to the point we can't smell anything under hard acceleration. It's certainly NOT a fix but it is nice being able to drive how I need to drive without worrying about that dumpster fire of a smell entering the cabin... At least this works for my particular Explorer. Hope this helps!

Make sure it hasn't came on inadvertently/accidentally from the in-dash control LCD screen. (I had turned mine on without realizing.) Make sure the analogue controls on the back of the front console/arm rest are off, (fan motor setting to (0) position), and the vents/vector shades in the ceiling are closed shut as well. I had to do ALL of the aforementioned before the smell diminished to the point we can't smell anything under hard acceleration. It's certainly NOT a fix but it is nice being able to drive how I need to drive without worrying about that dumpster fire of a smell entering the cabin... At least this works for my particular Explorer. Hope this helps!

I reconfirmed today the smell is still there with the rear a/c off, front on, recirc cuts the smell down a little bit but not enough.

Burnt smell coming through a.c. vent in front as well

I'm getting the exhaust smell even when the rear a.c. is completely turned off.
It's not a strong as when the rear a.c. is on, but it is still strong enough to burn my nose. I'm driving with the windows and moon roof cracked.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS! FORD SERIOUSLY, YOU NEED TO STEP UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS. I'M SO DISAPPOINTED THAT THIS AMERICAN COMPANY IS TREATING CONSUMERS WITH SUCH DISRESPECT!

Yup! Now that i found out I'm not the only one with this problem, which to me smells like electrical burn, and apparently no fix.. onto figuring out why my back up camera decided not to "be available"...

Is this problem only limited to certain engines, and is it more common on one engine versus the others?

Is this problem only limited to certain engines, and is it more common on one engine versus the others?

Doesn't appear to be. Seems to be an equal opportunity offender. My 2011 Limited didn't have the problem.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I find strange is [after talking to a mechanic at fleet in Miami ] the Explorer Utility does not seem to have this issue.

Back