Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 92 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Feel your pain. The Sport is my wife's car and at the 3,000 mile mark I was driving to pick her up out of town and got on it pretty good to merge on the Interstate and noticed the faint whiff of exhaust/sulpher smell. Ours was built in 12/14. I also don't trust the dealer tearing into the vehicle being a firm believer in the "law of unintended consequences".

Plus I'm not sure I've ever read here that anyone has had this issue successfully repaired, could be wrong there, but I can't recall it without re-reading this huge thread.

Since she does 90-95% of the driving of this vehicle and doesn't do spirited acceleration, I've never mentioned anything to her. She's blissfully unaware and loves her Sport.

No there is no repair that fixes it 100% . Some have had it reduced somewhat and others no change. Ford rep told one of complainants that there was nothing more could be done.............he is now pursuing Lemon Law in Florida. Please be aware that your wife is " blissfully unaware " that she is breathing carbon monoxide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please be aware that your wife is " blissfully unaware " that she is breathing carbon monoxide.

Drama much? Actually, she's not. CO testing has shown no increased levels.

Drama much? Actually, she's not. CO testing has shown no increased levels.

Guess there wouldn't be a class action lawsuit against Ford in Florida if there wasn't increased levels............... if you smell the burnt smell your breathing CO as anything from the manifold back to exhaust tips contains CO. What are long term effects???????. Who is to say what is acceptable ?............the government or Ford ? ............. no trust issues there?????????

Guess there wouldn't be a class action lawsuit against Ford in Florida if there wasn't increased levels............... if you smell the burnt smell your breathing CO as anything from the manifold back to exhaust tips contains CO. What are long term effects???????. Who is to say what is acceptable ?............the government or Ford ? ............. no trust issues there?????????

Every person that has taken readings with a meter has shown that CO levels are so low during the "smell" that they are negligible. Lots of that info in this thread and all over the net if you do a search. It's not only a problem confined to Ford.

2015 Explorer Sport 4wd TT (Exhaust smell in cab)

First off I love this vehicle....

However we have 1200 miles on it and when we accelerate to get on the freeway we get an exhaust smell in the cab. I am now worried about my families safety.
I see from previous the post this seems to have been an issue with explorers for some time.

I love this car the twin turbos on the eco boost are awesome.

Has ford made any resent recalls I am worried I may have to return it?

However we have 1200 miles on it and when we accelerate to get on the freeway we get an exhaust smell in the cab. I am now worried about my families safety.
I see from previous the post this seems to have been an issue with explorers for some time.

1st, welcome to the forum... lots of really good info on here.

2nd, proper forum etiquette = use the search function before posting.. just about every issue has been discussed on here with the 5th gen Explorers. Enjoy the reading lol, this goes back a few years.. :thumbsup:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375439&highlight=exhaust+smell+cabin

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388365&highlight=exhaust+smell+cabin

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365694&highlight=exhaust+smell+cabin

Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
As blwnsmoke mentioned, using the Forum's 'Search' function would have brought up this thread. I have merged yours with it. Good luck.

Peter

I'd like to testify that I have not once noticed one iota of interior exhaust smell (or anything unpleasant for that matter) on my 2016 Sport so far, with 5,000 miles and quite a bit of hard acceleration. I wonder if this issue has been rectified on the refresh, if this is just something unfortunate to plague only a percentage of models over the years, or if it is something that seems to spring up later in the vehicles life.

Feel your pain. The Sport is my wife's car and at the 3,000 mile mark I was driving to pick her up out of town and got on it pretty good to merge on the Interstate and noticed the faint whiff of exhaust/sulpher smell. Ours was built in 12/14. I also don't trust the dealer tearing into the vehicle being a firm believer in the "law of unintended consequences".

Plus I'm not sure I've ever read here that anyone has had this issue successfully repaired, could be wrong there, but I can't recall it without re-reading this huge thread.

Since she does 90-95% of the driving of this vehicle and doesn't do spirited acceleration, I've never mentioned anything to her. She's blissfully unaware and loves her Sport.

I know this is the Explorer you all are talking about but I had a 2013 Edge with the 3.5 non eco and getting on it from around 3/4 gas peddle to all the way to the floor my edge would fill up with exhaust smell so bad at times I would get a headache and start throwing up,took it in a few times before Ford called me to tell me not to take it in for that issue anymore because there was NOTHING they could do and went on to tell me it was NORMAL,so I asked,you are telling me it is normal for my cars own exhaust to come in the cabin and he said yes its normal,well I had to ask if this is true then what was wrong with the last 50 cars I owner that did NOT do this,got no response. LOL Sorry but its NOT normal for any cars exhaust to enter the cabin,the edge is gone and I feel sorry for whoever buys it next.

I'd like to testify that I have not once noticed one iota of interior exhaust smell (or anything unpleasant for that matter) on my 2016 Sport so far, with 5,000 miles and quite a bit of hard acceleration. I wonder if this issue has been rectified on the refresh, if this is just something unfortunate to plague only a percentage of models over the years, or if it is something that seems to spring up later in the vehicles life.

Well, I would be happy to report the same, but I have the rotten egg/sulfur smell on hard accelerations with my 2016 Sport with now 4500 miles. I already posted on here about it, thought it was gone and then it came back. Tried different gas, premium, different brand, but no change.
However, a friend of mine who owns a Focus ST said that this smell is probably still the CAT burning off. As said, it's not the exhaust smell in the cabin, it's the rotten egg one. We will see.

It does not seem to affect all Explorers. Never had the issue with my 2011 Ltd.

Peter

First of all, I want to say welcome to the community, rob2015!

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. I’ll be here to assist with any questions or concerns.

just got several things worked on on my 2011 limited explorer. One was for smell during hard acceleration...

they fixed my car twice and the problem still exists as well.
On our 2015 EXSport with 640 miles, I am getting a slight whiff of sulfur smell when doing some spirited acceleration...

Feel your pain. The Sport is my wife's car and at the 3,000 mile mark I was driving to pick her up out of town and got on it pretty good to merge on the Interstate and noticed the faint whiff of exhaust/sulpher smell...

We have 1200 miles on it and when we accelerate to get on the freeway we get an exhaust smell in the cab. I am now worried about my families safety...

well, i would be happy to report the same, but i have the rotten egg/sulfur smell on hard accelerations with my 2016 sport with now 4500 miles...
Hi everyone,

Let me lend a hand. If your vehicle is still experiencing this symptom, please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your area to assist! :)

Tricia

First of all, I want to say welcome to the community, rob2015!

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. I’ll be here to assist with any questions or concerns.

Hi everyone,

Let me lend a hand. If your vehicle is still experiencing this symptom, please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your area to assist! :)

Tricia

Why so they can just tell everyone its normal? Till this day I cant believe Ford told me it is normal for your cars exhaust to come in the cabin,REALLY then there must have been something wrong with the other 50 cars I owned in the past and yes some were Ford's that never did this. I cant tell you how nice it is to get in my vehicle today and NOT have to worry about getting a headache and upset stomach from my own cars exhaust coming in the cabin. :salute:

Why so they can just tell everyone its normal?
I think that you are over reacting a bit. I don't believe that most dealers said it was normal since this thread is full of posts where dealers attempted to make repairs. Although the majority were unsuccessful, they did acknowledge there was/is a problem. The reps here are offering their assistance to the members and I don't think being sarcastic is helpful to anyone.

Peter

Why so they can just tell everyone its normal? Till this day I cant believe Ford told me it is normal for your cars exhaust to come in the cabin,REALLY...
Hello tazmanken,

What’s the mileage on your vehicle? Also, have you considered taking your Explorer to another Ford Dealer for a second opinion? If not, I recommend making an appointment with the preferred dealer here. Let me know once it’s scheduled, and I’ll look into available options to assist! :)

Tricia

Hello tazmanken,

What’s the mileage on your vehicle? Also, have you considered taking your Explorer to another Ford Dealer for a second opinion? If not, I recommend making an appointment with the preferred dealer here. Let me know once it’s scheduled, and I’ll look into available options to assist! :)

Tricia
I don't think he has an Explorer Tricia. His profile shows a 2013 Edge.

Peter

I don't think he has an Explorer Tricia. His profile shows a 2013 Edge.

Peter
Hey Peter,

It’s ok, I’ll be able to assist even if it is an Edge! It’s a good thing I’m on that forum as well. ;) :D

Tricia

Hi everyone,

Tricia
Hi Tricia, thank you for reaching out.

At this time, I will wait and see if the smell stops completely as we are still breaking in the truck. As I mentioned above, it does not happen that often. If it gets any worse, I will surely let you know.

Sadly, I am quite familiar with the escalation process with a CSM due to some build and quality issues with our 2015 Mustang GT. Although our initial issues where eventually addressed, the process is something I want to not go through again.

Good news is even with going through what we have been through getting our Stang up to snuff, we still have faith and bought an EXSport.

Hi Tricia, thank you for reaching out.

At this time, I will wait and see if the smell stops completely as we are still breaking in the truck. As I mentioned above, it does not happen that often. If it gets any worse, I will surely let you know...
You’re very welcome, rvlyssup.

If you need me, just give me a shout, and I’ll be there! :)

Tricia

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that you are over reacting a bit. I don't believe that most dealers said it was normal since this thread is full of posts where dealers attempted to make repairs. Although the majority were unsuccessful, they did acknowledge there was/is a problem. The reps here are offering their assistance to the members and I don't think being sarcastic is helpful to anyone.

Peter

Was NOT the dealer that told me this it was Ford,one of the engineers at Ford told me it was normal, hell my dealer offered to pay for me to change my tail pipe and chrome tips and see if that would help. The service manager at my dealer was even surprised at what Ford told me and he even called Ford.So NO it was NOT the dealer that told me it was normal.

Back