Dismiss Notice

to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during acceleration.

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2018 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by 1banger, July 24, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    ?

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

1. exhaust solution

66.7%
    2. ford explorer 2016 issues

33.3%
    1. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      And what happens when stock drops? That amount us only good if he sold now. And if it goes up, he gets more. That is why I don't like taking into account that as the original post was made to sound that's what was deposited into his bank account.

And, Fields has been huge in getting Ford turned around and out of the recession. He should be paid for it.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
      And what happens when stock drops?

Share price goes down. When stock options are issued, they are issued at a specific strike price and usually to a ten year term, vesting at 25% per year over the first four years. So he has ten years to either sell his stock options or exercise them per expiration date. In addition to having a lengthy period of time to sell his stock options, I’m fairly confident he also has a golden parachute should they ever want to nix his contract. So if his currently issued stock options go down, he has plenty of time, or about ten years, for them to get back in the black.

That amount us only good if he sold now. And if it goes up, he gets more. That is why I don't like taking into account that as the original post was made to sound that's what was deposited into his bank account.

I’m not sure what you are talking about here. In 2016 he cashed out a boatload of stock options, either be selling them, exercising them, or by disposition, to the monetary amount of about $20 million. And yes that $20 million is added to his salary in 2016 as part of his annual compensation. Since we are talking about annual compensation, he made well north of $20 million in 2016 from his salary and stock options, it’s in plain view. I can't tell you what amount he put into his bank account after taxes, but his 2016 annual compensation was $20 million plus, probably around $24 million.

And, Fields has been huge in getting Ford turned around and out of the recession. He should be paid for it.

And no else could have done this job with Ford Credit borrowing billions of dollars coupled with low interest rates and subprime car loans over eight and ten year periods as opposed the standard five year car loan period. Almost all auto manufacturers have done extremely well over the past five years or so. I’m sure he is talented, but everyone is replaceable. I also think the auto industry has peaked out and will soon face lots of challenges with low used car prices, in addition to some of these subprime car loans failing. They will certainly make lots on service.

Last edited: April 3, 2017
    4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      This thread is on Bad or Burnt Exhaust, not on Mr. Fields' income.
      Please stick to the topic. Thanks.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
    5. xsbc63x

xsbc63x New Member

2013 ford explorer limite
      we have had the exhaust smell in the cab on WOT. I took it to the dealer last week because it is a CPO car, they said this wouldn't fall under the CPO warranty. They could not duplicate the issue however they did the hvac system update for me for 40$ and said if it comes back it will need the rest of the new TSB. The dealer said it would cost me 2500$+ out of pocket and to maybe get in touch with ford to see what they can do. What a joke

6. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Your dealer is correct in that the issue is not listed as a covered item under the CPO warranty.

Peter

7. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Active Member

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      2017 Explorer Limited 4WD
      Worse and worse, my Explorer seems to be afflicted with this WOT issue. I'm taking it to NC in 2 weeks from NY, need to get this fixed fast or my vacation will be axed...

Anyone getting it with the 2.3L?

8. Aurelio Colon-Santiago

Aurelio Colon-Santiago New Member

City, State:
      Ceiba, PR
      2013 MY FFV
      I have an Explorer XLT 2013 and whenever I accelerate more than regular a bad smell, fumes came inside the cabin. I have been dealing with the dalesr but they never fixed and they said it is normal, The dealer Fajardo Ford in Puerto Rico brought the Explorer many times for thiat issue, but never fixed. Now I received a "class action for this problem; in the US District Court , Southern District Florida",

9. thefranchise713

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      So, an update on my life with the 2.3L.... changed gas stations, haven't had the problem since!

10. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
      I would not consider this a good thing, because changing the fuel or fuel source should not have any effect on physically changing your vehicle to where now all of the sudden there is no exhaust leak into your cabin. What you have done is brought up a very good point though, some owners may have no idea as to whether they have an exhaust leak into their cabin or not because of the type of fuel they use.

More specifically, carbon monoxide is a tasteless and odorless gas, so unless another exhaust constituent like sulfur dioxide (pungent type of odor), hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg type of odor), hydrocarbons (oil or gas type of odor), nitrogen oxides (sweet type of odor), etc., is giving you an indication via an odor, you would never know you have an exhaust leak into your cabin.

11. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      The only I know is that changing gasoline brands can affect the 'sulphur' or 'rotten egg' smell since there is no regulation in the amount of sulphur that can be contained in the gasoline so different brands may have different levels. I agree though, that I can't see how it would affect the exhaust smell which should be different.

Peter

12. 613GT500

613GT500 Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario, Canada
      2016 Sport
      I don't know about you, but I have yet to smell odorless exhaust fumes...LOL

13. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
      The US Refiner and Importer Tier 3 sulfur standards that began on January 1, 2017, limit sulfur to 10 parts per million on an annual average basis for gasoline. Before January 1, 2017, the limit of sulfur was 30 parts per million on an annual average basis.

The rotten egg smell is byproduct of combustion, hydrogen sulfide.

Remember too that the exhaust odor that may enter the passenger compartment of an Explorer happens when it is driven at wide open throttle and with the internal ventilation on recirculate. So, on open throttle it is highly likely that the combustion of fuel is not complete and that could result in the smell of hydrocarbons, sulfur, hydrogen sulfide, nitrogen oxides, etc. Plus I’m not sure if this exhaust that enters the cabin is before or after being treated by the catalytic converter, but again since the combustion is not complete there are plenty of possibilities associated with pollutant odors, more than likely a mix.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    14. thefranchise713

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      The dealer checked the entire exhaust system and couldn't find any leaks.

15. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
      That's great news, but I wonder what you were experiencing previously:

16. thefranchise713

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      I have no idea. I was dead set to believing I smelled the same thing everyone else was.

I have a really good relationship with my tech as well, so I don't for a second believe they were placating me...