Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 93 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Hello tazmanken,

What’s the mileage on your vehicle? Also, have you considered taking your Explorer to another Ford Dealer for a second opinion? If not, I recommend making an appointment with the preferred dealer here. Let me know once it’s scheduled, and I’ll look into available options to assist! :)

Tricia

I stated in my first post I HAD a Edge,I know this is about the Ford Explorer but my Edge was doing the same thing. But the Edge is GONE the wife and I got tired of having headaches and upset stomachs from it. Its nothing against you,you tried to help me a few years ago with the issue,so I do apologize,like I said you tried to help. But where some in this forum got rid of there Explorers and went to another brand I got rid of my Edge and Got the new 2015 F 150,so I stayed with the Ford family. Couldn't help it they have the best looking trucks on the market. Just so you know the Edge had almost 30,000 miles on it and the exhaust came in the cabin the whole time from brand new till we got rid of it,just feel sorry for whoever buys or bought it. I searched other Edge forums and found just a few other people that had the same problem nothing like with the explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been driving gently lately and as such had not the issue for a while. Yesterday there was a long on ramp that went a little uphill and I was at about half throttle accelerating nicely up to 70 to merge onto the highway and thinking that this was why I got the sport :)

About 10 seconds after I let off the gas the interior was FLOODED with rotten egg smell. I don't mean a hint of smell, I mean eye-watering smell. We had to open all four windows for several seconds to clear it out, or so it seemed. A few seconds after we put the windows back up we could still smell it so down the windows went again for about 15 seconds.

That's worst it ever been, maybe because I had not been driven it hard lately or maybe because of wind direction, I don't know. It really seemed the exhaust pipe was run right into the cabin, it was that strong.

This got me thinking about the VW scandal of using computer programming to bypass emission testing. If we are getting this exhaust smell in the car, then it is also going into the general atmosphere. Is there no limit on sulfur-dioxide or whatever is causing this smell? Is Ford doing the same thing as VW, perhaps unintentionally?

I stated in my first post I HAD a Edge,I know this is about the Ford Explorer but my Edge was doing the same thing...
Tazmanken,

:eek: D’oh, I pulled a Homer Simpson! I apologize for the mix up. I work on several forums, and sometimes my eyes and fingers do not cooperate.

Thanks for the reply, and I’m glad that you are still part of the Ford Family! :D

I've been driving gently lately and as such had not the issue for a while...
Hello JerryC,

Let me get this escalated. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist! :)

Tricia

I've been driving gently lately and as such had not the issue for a while. Yesterday there was a long on ramp that went a little uphill and I was at about half throttle accelerating nicely up to 70 to merge onto the highway and thinking that this was why I got the sport :)

About 10 seconds after I let off the gas the interior was FLOODED with rotten egg smell. I don't mean a hint of smell, I mean eye-watering smell. We had to open all four windows for several seconds to clear it out, or so it seemed. A few seconds after we put the windows back up we could still smell it so down the windows went again for about 15 seconds.

That's worst it ever been, maybe because I had not been driven it hard lately or maybe because of wind direction, I don't know. It really seemed the exhaust pipe was run right into the cabin, it was that strong.

This got me thinking about the VW scandal of using computer programming to bypass emission testing. If we are getting this exhaust smell in the car, then it is also going into the general atmosphere. Is there no limit on sulfur-dioxide or whatever is causing this smell? Is Ford doing the same thing as VW, perhaps unintentionally?

Unintentionally? Wow I never thought of that before but you are right.
Already they are saying that there are other vehicles involved in Germany.
Unfortunately for me I already have taken the Explorer 3 times to the dealer and the problem still exists.
I tried to trade it in for another car at the ford dealership and they offered me $20k for a 2 1/2 year old car with only 32,000 miles on it a few months back.
Now I letting every Explorer owner I see know of the problem.
Even my coworkers wife has the same issue.
I hope that the government will step in soon.

Tazmanken,

Hello JerryC,

Let me get this escalated. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist! :)

Tricia

Hi Tricia,
I'm going to let my local dealership have another try at it first before calling in the big guns. Having read through most of these posts I'm not hopeful of a positive result even if they do the TSB's.
It'll probably take another week or two before I can be without the Ex for a few days, I'll report back after I take it in again.

Any complaints from MY2016 owners?
While the longest test drive I had was overnight with a 2016 Sport (not counting several other test drives at various dealerships, at about 30min each); I was not shy going WOT and didn't notice any abnormal exhaust fumes being present inside the vehicle.

But, on one of the vehicles, I did hear the whining of the dreaded windshield cowl!

First of all, I want to say welcome to the community, rob2015!

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. I’ll be here to assist with any questions or concerns.

Hi everyone,

Let me lend a hand. If your vehicle is still experiencing this symptom, please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your area to assist! :)

Tricia

Hi Tricia,

thanks for the offering. I'll take my Explorer in today for the first service and some other little issues I have encountered. I will also mention the smell and see what they come up with.

Hello everyone,

If you are currently experiencing this concern and haven't done so already, please send over a PM with your full name, phone number VIN, mileage (if not listed above), and preferred servicing dealership.

I'll see how to best assist.

Todd

Hi fellow smoke eaters. I've read all 92 pages after buying a 2015 a few weeks ago. Today I finally found the monster. I had to suddenly accelerate into traffic, and there it was. Mine is a burnt hair smell, and not only did I smell it, but it actually left a bad taste in my mouth, not sure if I read that before. Anyway, I tried it again a bit later as a test, and yes, it repeated.

Question, is it worth trying the TSB? It sounds like the forum is split on that question.

Thanks. Mitch

Hi Tricia,
I'm going to let my local dealership have another try at it first before calling in the big guns...

Hi Tricia,

thanks for the offering. I'll take my Explorer in today for the first service and some other little issues I have encountered...
Hi Ford Fam,

Please keep me posted. If further assistance is needed, please don’t hesitate to contact me! :)

Hi fellow smoke eaters. I've read all 92 pages after buying a 2015 a few weeks ago...
Wilkersm,

I replied. Please check your inbox.

Let me know if you need anything else! :thumbsup:

Tricia

My 3 week old explorer is currently at the dealership having the TSB performed for the exhaust and both rear door quarter windows and mouldings replaced. Like most who have found their way here I was shocked to read through page after page containing years worth of complaints about this. The dealership is confident the TSB will fix the problem, I'm obviously skeptical after all of the testimonials here.

My 3 week old explorer is currently at the dealership having the TSB performed for the exhaust and both rear door quarter windows and mouldings replaced. Like most who have found their way here I was shocked to read through page after page containing years worth of complaints about this. The dealership is confident the TSB will fix the problem, I'm obviously skeptical after all of the testimonials here.

Hey there ltjball,

Let's get your Explorer back on top! Send over a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred Ford Dealer. You may locate one here. I'll see how to best assist.

Todd

Hey there ltjball,

Let's get your Explorer back on top! Send over a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred Ford Dealer. You may locate one here. I'll see how to best assist.

Todd

It is already at the dealer and a customer service manager assigned. It took a call to the 800 number to secure a rental while it is being repaired.

Hi Ford Fam,

Please keep me posted. If further assistance is needed, please don’t hesitate to contact me! :)

Tricia

So I was told today by my dealer that the rotten egg smell in the 2016 is normal. As said, I only have it on hard acceleration and was told by the service guy (I think it was the service writer) that his engineer together with an engineer they contacted in Detroit, determined that when I accelerate hard, more fuel goes into the engine (I hope so...) and whatever is not brunt off by the engine will be burnt off by the CAT. Well, I would say that's how it is supposed to work, but why do I smell that in the cabin?
He had no answer to that. He told me there is no TSB for the 2016 (I know...) and the TSB for the 11-15 would not be usable since the 2016 is a redesign. It might be that there will be something coming, but it might not, obviously he doesn't have a crystal ball either.

Tricia, I am not sure if I should pursue this further at this point since I have the feeling that the dealership tries, but doesn't know what to do either. Clearly telling me "It's normal" is not really helping me out, but I see it more as an: "We can't do anything against it."

So I was told today by my dealer that the rotten egg smell in the 2016 is normal. As said, I only have it on hard acceleration and was told by the service guy (I think it was the service writer) that his engineer together with an engineer they contacted in Detroit, determined that when I accelerate hard, more fuel goes into the engine (I hope so...) and whatever is not brunt off by the engine will be burnt off by the CAT. Well, I would say that's how it is supposed to work, but why do I smell that in the cabin?
He had no answer to that. He told me there is no TSB for the 2016 (I know...) and the TSB for the 11-15 would not be usable since the 2016 is a redesign. It might be that there will be something coming, but it might not, obviously he doesn't have a crystal ball either.

Tricia, I am not sure if I should pursue this further at this point since I have the feeling that the dealership tries, but doesn't know what to do either. Clearly telling me "It's normal" is not really helping me out, but I see it more as an: "We can't do anything against it."
Does the smell linger or quickly disappear? I had the same thing happen in my Lincoln but the smell was gone in less than a minute. I've experienced the same with other brands of vehicles. I've also had it come in from other vehicles that accelerated quickly. The cabin is not air tight. Also, different brands of gasoline contain different levels of sulphur. It isn't regulated.

Peter

It is already at the dealer and a customer service manager assigned. It took a call to the 800 number to secure a rental while it is being repaired.
Ltjball,

Thanks for the update, and I replied to your PM.

Have a great weekend! :thumbsup:

So I was told today by my dealer that the rotten egg smell in the 2016 is normal...
Britta-S,

Have you considered seeking a second opinion from another Ford Dealer? If not, this is another alternative. Let me know what you decide. I’ll be happy to get this escalated for you. :)

Tricia

Does the smell linger or quickly disappear? I had the same thing happen in my Lincoln but the smell was gone in less than a minute. I've experienced the same with other brands of vehicles. I've also had it come in from other vehicles that accelerated quickly. The cabin is not air tight. Also, different brands of gasoline contain different levels of sulphur. It isn't regulated.

Peter

Well, just from my new 2015 experience in the past week or so, it lingers for some time. I vented with all 4 windows down but it "hung out" for many minutes, and gave me a headache and bad taste in my mouth. This was even though I opened the windows as soon as I detected the smell.

And to everyone on this forum; please register your complaint on the NHTSA site. All these forum posts help, but we need more official documentation for something, if anything, to happen. Right now I only see 38 total complaints listed on this site. Which Could suggest that this is not a serious issue; which I know is NOT the case.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Peter

Peter, it normally lingers 2-4 minutes, so is not "long lasting". I tried different Octane levels and also different brands of gas, but that doesn't make a difference at all (I have no clue how regulated Illinois is in regards to Sulfur).
I understand that the cabin is not air tight, but can I not expect to accelerate quickly once in a while without the car stinking?
Just because other brands' vehicles do the same thing doesn't make it right for me, it just shows me that it is not a Ford problem, but a general one with, probably, the design of SUVs.

I am overall really happy with my Explorer and would not get rid of it because of this smell (since, first, I know how to avoid it, second, if it happens it doesn't stay for that long), so I am not ranting about how bad of a vehicle this is and how bad Ford is and so on. As said in my last post, I have the feeling that the dealership takes my complaint seriously, but right now there is no way to do anything against it and they don't know if there ever will be. If that's what it is: okay. But if there is a way to fix it (also in the future), then I want it done :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back