Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 97 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
New here but wanted share some info.
Bought my wife a new 2016 Ford Explorer XLT a few weeks ago. We really like the vehicle but noticed a exhaust/engine heat odor in the cab under acceleration. Done some research and it appears that this is a ongoing issue that has not been fixed.
I have not took it too the dealer yet but we will soon. I really hope this is a small issue because I dont want to go through all the lemon law and atty stuff along with the dozen or so trips to the dealer that I read some of you have.
Does anyone that has had this issue have any suggestions?
Thanks

I have moved your thread to the current discussion on this subject.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have moved your thread to the current discussion on this subject.

I understand but this is a new 2016 not the previous models talked about is why I made a new thread. Do you know what the issue with the 2016 or previous year models is?

We need folks to list the trim model to keep count.
I've taken delivery of my 2016 Sport on Thurs and the "honeymoon" was over when I left the lot.
I paid for a fresh synthetic oil change (despite the reassurance from the service department that there was no need) and wasn't shy to go WOT the past 3 days.
Yes, sulphur/egg smell was present, but did not linger around.

I understand but this is a new 2016 not the previous models talked about is why I made a new thread. Do you know what the issue with the 2016 or previous year models is?
Threads usually go by "issues/problems" not by "model" years. If you have the same problem as what is shown in an existing thread, just add your post to it and the thread will jump back to the top.

Peter

Mine is 2016 XLT V6 engine. Its a very strange issue for sure.
I also have 2010 F150 FX4 with no issues like this. Heck I even have a 03 Huyndia Elantra with a exhaust leak and I never smell exhaust in it.

I am about to purchase a 2016 Sport and I sure as hell don't want to spend 50k on a vehicle and have this problem. There are way too many posts to resd through on here. Hiw is this still a problem?! Has anyone with the problem fixed it? I was going to do a nice easy break-in, but ig sounds like I need to fo a few WOT runs on the on ramp during the test drive to see if this problem exists. What % of new ones have this problem?
Thanks

I am about to purchase a 2016 Sport and I sure as hell don't want to spend 50k on a vehicle and have this problem. There are way too many posts to resd through on here. Hiw is this still a problem?! Has anyone with the problem fixed it? I was going to do a nice easy break-in, but ig sounds like I need to fo a few WOT runs on the on ramp during the test drive to see if this problem exists. What % of new ones have this problem?
Thanks

If you read my post earlier, I haven't experienced any issues with a lingering smell in the cabin.
I've been driving hard the past 3days (averaging 18L/100KM) and the smell dissipates as fast as it comes.

I'm very happy to report that since I adjusted (alignment was off-center) the lift-gate, there is no longer any incidence of sulfur smell entering the cabin.

Adjustment of the entire lift-gate is rather simple and can be done rather quickly. Just remove the struts off the liftgate itself, (metal clips slide off, then pop the swivel off) while with a 2nd pair of hands or a wooden stick to prop up the LG, loosen all 4 hinge bolts and push adjust accordingly towards the side that is off. Make sure that the hinge & corresponding bolts are vertically aligned, tighten the bolts and reinstall the struts.

I've sent my car to dealer for this issue in Saudi Arabia, they have some fix for this issue

once i take the car and test it i will update here,

they told me they have some modifications like changing the vents in the back and modifying the exhaust mufflers to make it a little bit longer.

For what it's worth, I'm approaching 10k miles on my '15 sport and have not had the smell once. Plenty of hard acceleration, spirited driving, etc.

got my Ex today from dealer and test it at hard acceleration, the result is; NO smell at all :party:

i was getting the smell at 3000 Rpm and more

above 4000 RPM was like killing smell

the fix that dealer did, sealing the back door with silicon from inside the door panel, changing the rain drain plugs, some vent hole or filter " i don't know where exactly, and the main fix was changing the exhaust

here is some pics

this is stock exhaust " pic from internet"

2015FRD007a_640_06.png

this is mine after changing them , " sorry i didn't take before"

as you can see they are bigger and wider, but guess what?

they aren't the real exhaust

check this pic from under the car

the holes now under the exhaust mufflers, they changed how the exhaust go out like the old style cars

maxresdefault.jpg

for now my problem fixed 100% and from my experience, this issue isn't catalytic converter at all.

this issue because the bad design of aerodynamic and this issue will continue with 2016 model because it's only an face lift

the back design of the car is pushing the air combined with the gas ambitions to inside the car from many places like the explorer chrome emblem holes, plate hols, etc. there are many hols in the back door you need to seal,

i hope this can help and i will update if i got the smell again.

all this fix under the warranty.

My 2015 limited is scheduled for the updated exhaust next week. According to my service manager it is a newly designed complete cat back exhaust system. I'm sure it will be in line with the pictures above. Looks like they have finally found a fix! You can bet I will have the gas monitor on board for a test drive. After nearly 40 days in the shop I am just a little hesitant and pessimistic.

i was looking for a video to make my point clear about the back design of the car and how the aerodynamic design causing this smell issue

look at the video at minute 1:57

look how is the roof spoiler is pushing the air down, with the hard acceleration and gas ambitions and the air coming from down of the car this is will go into inside the car through any tiny hole of the back door absolutely.

The 2016 Sports alteady have the tops in the fascia and the exhaust stops short. That one should be real easy to put turndowns on it before the fake tips.

The 2016 Sports alteady have the tops in the fascia and the exhaust stops short. That one should be real easy to put turndowns on it before the fake tips.

At what part would the turndown exhaust tips clamp/screw on to the original part in place? Does it cover the entire existing exhaust end? I've never dealt with them before.

The diameter of my exhaust at the exit point near the end of the bumper is 3 1/2 inches.... what size would i order?

Would the exhaust being shot downward be a simple fix for the exhaust traveling back up towards the cabin/rear of the suv?

BlackEyed
Is this a actual Ford part? And yes I see what you are talking about in the video.

BlackEyed
Is this a actual Ford part? And yes I see what you are talking about in the video.

I don't know if it's a ford part or no, but it's installed by the dealer and it is the only dealer in Saudi Arabia

Mine appears to be fixed, the smell has been reduced between 95 and 100%. I say 95 because in extreme circumstances I can smell something but its so infrequent and doesn't have the same smell as in the past. I brought it in a few months back for the transmission fluid leak, not sure if it was the PTU or not. I feel it started leaking one day only under load and eventually got to a point where it leaked on the driveway.

I don't know if it's a ford part or no, but it's installed by the dealer and it is the only dealer in Saudi Arabia

Ok thanks.
I am supposed to bring my 2016 by the dealer and take one of the techs for a ride and show him what it does. But this evening I took it for a drive getting on and off the interstate thinking I could get it to replicate. I could only get just a slight exhaust smell once thats it. Not real sure to do now, I know the temps out side were a little colder than it has been here but I wouldnt think that would matter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just picked up the explorer from the dealer with the updated exhaust. The tips look similar to Black Eyed's above but his appear to be oval. The turndowns are hidden within the tips and look as good as the originals. Only time will tell if this fixes the problem. I will test it on Saturday with the air monitor from work to confirm.

Back