bats 88 Bronco II Build Up aka Project Second Chance | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bats 88 Bronco II Build Up aka Project Second Chance

cut & turn

I had planned on doing the cut and turn in my shop but BT Fabrication can furnish a completed set for a LOT less than it would cost me to set up an accurate fabrication jig and I operate a machine shop. Photos I've seen show nice quality, but the real accuracy is in their jig & I can't attest to that. For the price I think I'll go the risk. Really a no brainer if all is as claimed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BT Fabrication is exactly what I was thinking. I bookmarked their thread. They're now offering a whole kit and I happen to have an extra set of beams....

Needful things

Funny I just posted up on my broncobra thread, ranting about beams etc. Glad you had already encountered these guys. I am so reluctant to recommend anything to someone else, needs are just so varied. I really like solid axles and have owned many. For major crawling can't be beat period...for the kind of wheeling I do...not even in consideration. Not everyone is me, TTB has inherent limitations as well as possibilities, but when built and set up right they are awesome in the desert, especially at speed, pull out of the dirt and cruise comfortably & safely home.

Though I haven't ordered yet I am thinking 2 sets, 4" lift; for my two 35's that are currently being rebuilt, re-geared and locked.

Best of luck

I gave your thread a read, broncobra and I must say you do some mighty fine fab work. (Now I understand your username too.)The TTB seems better suited to your application too. When built right, they are very very capable.

At this point I think I have a decent bearing on what's needed. I'm going to give those guys a call next week after the holidays settle down. Also, I'm going to start looking for a donor vehicle that is already 4X4. Full size bronco or F150 that has rusted to dust but has a complete drive train. I'd like to hear the engine run and drive (if possible before throwing it in.)

Bearing check

Thanks for the compliment I do like to fabricate. I know your taking a true heading before striking out on this build and aquiring a "carcass" or two from which to harvest major assemblies and parts is a major stride along your chosen path. It is so enjoyable to read and see what others are building and how each individual selects, options, creates, changes and progresses with their creations.
I am so looking forward to watching your progress. Rick C.

I was talking to my dad about this and he brought up the whole emissions thing. NY state says that vehicles 25 years and older are exempt. I miss that cut off by 2 years but this year is nearly over which means one more year and I'm in the clear. I guess I'll just drive VERY carefully for time following the transplant and avoid the fuzz. (Who am I kidding, I'm putting a V8 in the thing!)

well you have to look at it like this dan, you where saying you doubted that it would be ready for afn, right? that is what, 6 months 4 days, and something like 12 hours away (who's counting however). it might take you another 2 months to drop it in if your working a little bit here and there. and maybe another month or 2 to get the bugs worked out. so by the time it is said and done, you should be in the clear. hell, i got my donor truck for my swap when i was there, and i still have yet to put it in!

Tim, you going to be ready for AFN? I know you got some nice shiny headers in recently...

Yeah, upon further pondering I concluded that it's not that big of a deal. That year will be the fine tuning and perfecting. And of course finding a donor.

Something else I've been thinking is I'm probably going to do a decent amount of highway milelage. Last year's trip to Carlisle was just shy of 1,000 miles. Overdrive would be wonderful for the highway. AOD possibly? Or drop down a notch and stick with my rebuilt A4LD and a 4.0?

This led to another consideration, cooling. This thing is going to have to have some serious cooling capabilities. Enough to idle through traffic on a blistering summer day for a few hours. It takes almost 2 hours to make it through the city traffic.

These are the things that keep me up at night.

oh yea, it will be done for afn....i hope. headers arent in yet, bob text me a pic of them, and is sending them out tomorrow. wow, 1000 miles from the last trip!? didnt think you lived that far. as for cooling, you can always go with a alum rad. i am sure you can find one for them still. if your doint a body lift, you could always put a 5 spd standard in, or do you want to keep it auto if you drop a 302 in?

Can't wait to see that beast running! Between detours (outdated maps) and just having no clue where I was, the mileage added up fast.

I'll just find a big ass radiator and a bunch of fans (a slightly simplified version of what rookieshooter did) and see how that goes.

Now I'm thinking something like AOD/4R70W. It has to be auto, ask Skunk about how much fun driving stick through NY traffic is...

If your are going the v8 route, and if I am not wrong, years back before you could buy swap kits a guy I knew did a 289 in a 84 or 85 ranger. If I remember correctly he used a rad from a 79 camaro. The inlets where the same size and on the same sides as well and it fit nicely in there

Bits & pieces

Efficient aluminum radiators can be purchased from several vendors, I use a Griffin...cost under $250. while size does matter the B2 severely limits the height that can be run. You can cut the clip out and gain some vertical clearence if you are willing to sacrifice the hood latch assembly and use hood pins to secure the bonnet & while your at it also gain width by trimming a few inches of sheet metal. Adding a metal strap across the top gives an attachment point for the top of the radiator, I built a custom tube frame for mine which is overkill but looks nice. The above setup also allows the radiator to be mounted further away from the engine, giving more room for an electric puller fan and shroud. More fans are ok, but 1 good electric with a tight fitting shroud on a quality radiator, will cool a high hp smallblock v8 on 105 degree days even at idle (half hour or more) on a dead calm day in the desert SW.

C3/C4 AOD, Advanced Adaptors are available for these transmissions and all are affordable and work great...rebuilts don't cost much and they just work for this swap...other possibilities will work but will add to the over all build stress. You drive a lot it seems so the AOD makes good sense.

If your still going carbed engine & no computer...why mess up the simplicity with a transmission that trys to think & outguess what you really want. I even went full manual valve body on mine, to eliminate kickdown plus I like to stir my own; yet hate a clutch.

Lot of V8 swaps on 4x4 B2/Ranger platforms...just some went smoother than others, but if a guy wants to venture into dark waters, it's a least an adventure! Best of luck however YOU choose to do it.

can't believe ive never read your thread man, guess I just missed it. looks like youve got a good bearing on where you are going. I like the carb 302 with aod idea, the a4ld isn't supposed to be that stout of a trans, even if it is recently rebuilt. if your still having doubts and are thinking 4.0 I can tell you I have some mileage on mine and im very pleased with it. the 4.0 is a really good motivator for the BII, and although I haven't checked id assume im getting pretty good fuel economy out of it, even though my foot is pretty much on the floor the whole time im running it.

your also right about these rigs being pretty fun in the wind, I kept my cog as low as possible, only going 3" of lift, of course you already have the kit and your bronco is a lot nicer looking than mine, you probably don't want to chop up the sheetmetal all that much. anyway cool build im subscribed.

So at this point I feel like I'm at a crossroads, call it a crisis of faith if you will. I've been doing my research but have not actually committed to anything yet, other than buying the body lift. I've been factoring time vs money vs time I'll actually spend on the trail. I've been toying with the idea of going back to using an Explorer as my offroad rig. It's slightly more civilized even when built up. Eleanor is back to stock and she just rides nice.(Well quieter at least. The front end slop is just annoying.) Plus, everything I have would just bolt on to an Ex.

The main reason this build has been slow is I've really been on the fence about this. Do I go with an Explorer and be on the trail quicker (and cheaper) or do I go full swing with the Bronco II? I'll be down for at least a year.

Last night I drove out to the Hamptons to look at a 92 Sport. Turns out the kids brother took the truck and wouldn't be home til the weekend so it was a wasted trip. Kids mother also said it needed a lot of work... I dunno, maybe it was a sign?

This morning on my way to work I had another epiphany. Trying to merge into traffic I suddenly realized the lack of giddyup the 4.0 has. 3.73's with 31's feels about as peppy as the BII on Explorer sized tires. Even with the 4.56's and 31's I was struggling to keep up with the rest of the group on the highway.

At this point, I'm not sure where this build is going to go but I know one thing for sure: Whatever I build is going to have a V8. And a much less red interior. Personally having every surface look like some one was murdered on it is an eye sore to me. /rage.

I"d say this defiantly needs a few good night sleeps on this one.
The one thing I hated when my b2 was stock was the useless 2.8.
When going to work in either Balt or DC I would always have get in the slow right hand lane going over the two mnt. ranges.
I promised myself then if I ever do anything to this B2 it will be a modified V8 that will climb these hills in drive and I'll be the one flashing my lights to others to get out of the way.

The choice is yours alone, but whatever you decide, check back every so often to the Dark Side of EFs.

Tilting with comets

I'm a fan of the Ex, Sports as well as the B2 & I know you'll make the reasonable choice for your build & whatever you decide to build I'll still subscribe.

The ultimate choice is yours Dan....either way the BII and 1st Gen Ex are great platforms to build off of. I mean since you already own the BII you can always do the upgrades from an Ex to the truck. Do a 4.0 OHV or SOHC swap (SOHC can be done using an OHV computer) or the full 302 swap and have plenty of power :D....just my opinion :)

In between the New Years shenanigans and other uh festivities this weekend, I got some time to think about projects.

Despite my gripes with the **** star red interior and the whooshy road noise, I do like my bronco II. The size is just right for me now and the heat and A/C work amazing. It's also ridiculously better on gas than the Explorer.

I decided to hold onto it for a while and do a light build up over time. Nothing too crazy, swap in Explorer axles and take advantage of the Duff arms I already have. 31's and some manual hubs and I got a good beach cruiser and light trail truck. Engine swap? Maybe a 4.0 some day. Maybe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:bounce::salute::D:):thumbsup::popcorn::dpchug::cool:

Back