Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

bats 88 Bronco II Build Up

Discussion in 'Bronco II Registry' started by bats, November 2, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bats

bats Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      88 Bronco II
      Best laid plans

So when we last left off I was just starting to tear into everything. I think I was actually further along in February then I led on.

The front end is mostly done. Coils are in. F250 shock mounts welded to the original coil buckets. Bunch of stuff replaced. But not there yet.

While I had everything apart I searched to see what upgrades I could do. Decided to try the Dana 44 outters upgrade. Followed happyjack's method of modifying the knuckles (vs reaming the balljoints). Worked out pretty well. Still had to do some figuring and searching for part numbers. One of these days I'll do a write up. I'm lazy and let my Elite membership expire so no pictures today kids.

Most everything is in place except for brake lines, shocks...and the front diff. Apparently I whacked it harder than I thought and cracked it. I pulled the ham off the spare TTB and planned on swapping gear setups. While removing the 4.56 pinion I was tapping it with a rubber mallet and the had came off resulting in the first two threads getting clobbered. My drive shaft guy has it at the machine shop now to see if it's savable or if I need a new one all together.

The goal was to have it road worthy, or at least trail worthy for Carlisle but that just ain't happening. Ran out of project funds and patience. The build is on hold for now.

Yesterday I moved it out of the garage for the first time in 6 months and parked it off in the corner. Little Bastard looks so sad tucked away, especially since one of the spare tires won't hold air. Engine started right up and it drove itself to it's temporary resting place. Had an oh shit moment when the throttle cable got stuck and almost put it through the fence. No front brakes at the moment.

Part of me wants to yell at it like 'you did this to yourself for fighting me so much!' and part of me wants to roll it back in and sell a kidney or two so I can finish it. (Maybe not both of them. I read on the internet that you need at least one...)

I'm so close that I can't not finish it. I will, just not in the near future. Some life stuff is getting in the way too.

I promise you this, though: The Little Bastard WILL return to terrorize the neighborhood.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. bats

bats Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      88 Bronco II
      I wish I had something more substantial to post but whatever. Just wanted y'all to know I'm still fighting this fight.

So I may or may not have mentioned a conversion to Dana 44 outers. I might have wanted that to be a surprise but I can't remember in my current state of tiredness.

The short version is that I modified my Dana 35 TTB knuckles to accept the Dana 44 knuckles to accept the Dana 44 spindles and all running gear outwards. Finally got the correct parts together to put it all together... or so I thought. Literally every step in this mod has been f'cked despite hours (days! weeks! of research!). Ordered and re-ordered practically everything. Oy vey.

Anyways. I had really hoped to have some iteration of the Lil' Bastard ready to limp to Carlisle but if I get it rolling by August I'll be lucky. Even if I didn't do the upgrades the truck needed some serious TLC. Already mentioned how wiggly the ENTIRE front end was. That aftermarket A/C I knocked myself out for? Despite my best efforts to route/shield the hoses, one of them wore almost completely through. Too much flopping around.

We'll get there when we get there.

4. bats

bats Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      88 Bronco II
      I love it when something big turns out to be something small. Since the last time it was on the road, the truck kept pissing out all the tranny fluid. Don't think I did any damage. Crawled under there and saw it coming from the tail housing of the trans. Further investigated showed that the transfer case bolts had started to work their way out. Some were looser than finger tight!

Tightened them all up. Topped off the fluid and let it run for a bit. Dripping seems to have ceased. I'm gonna call case closed on that one.

5. bats

bats Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      88 Bronco II
      I need to stop being a bum and go Elite so I can post pictures.

Front disc brake mod complete. Bled the brakes and....they're kind of mushy. I chose to use an early Bronco master to push more fluid. After talking with another member I might switch back to the 94 MC. They had good results using it with a D44. Brakes WILL stop and hold me in place. They just don't kick in until 3/4 the way down.

Trans tail is still leaking a little. Think I just need to redo the gasket since I'm pretty sure I botched the RTV trying to bench press the manual t-case up there.

Currently I'm still 2WD. Been trying to hunt down a u-joint for the stock driveshaft but it's on backorder. Hoping to have it in my had sometime next week.

In honor of America I did some flexing with the Bastard in the yard. Crawled the front end up a stack of two tires. Didn't flip which is good. I'm not happy with the lack of flex in the Skyjacker coils. Super stiff and neither side really flexed. When money comes my way again thinking of trying out some JD progressive rate coils. Otherwise the height is just right. Looks OK with the 31's but 33's would be perfect.

6. bats

bats Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      88 Bronco II
      Still not dead, just a little hungover. Snow day today so thought I might check in.

On last week's episode I had some 2WD action. Glad to say I'm back with all 4 tires spinning. Completed the D44 outer conversion. Need to find part numbers but I used a D44 outer shaft that matched up with the u-joints as the D35 TTB shafts. Fits just right. Redid the front coil springs with full size bronco springs. Ordered the JD coil buckets because why not. Used D44 lower coil retainers I picked up and trimmed them to sit on the TTB. Spent a lot of time figuring how to get things not rubbing but am happy with where it sits. Flexes OK, much better than the Skyjacker springs which barely even compressed

Currently running Bilstein shocks....which are too short but much better than whatever tired old things I had in there. Also sorted out the steering issues (off center wheel, tie-rods not parallel, leaky steering box) and it tracks so much better. I can hit bumps at higher speeds with minimal bump steer! Front end is 98% complete.

Still have plans to put the 4" leaves in the rear and then planning to spring for some Fox shocks once I get the height set.

Mostly down to detail work. Biggest thing right now is I have no overdrive. shifts fine 1-3 but no OD. Last time I had this issue the trans was over full. Pumped out the excess fluid and still no OD. Damn.

7. bats

bats Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      88 Bronco II
      Other than the OD issue it's down to detail work.

Remove that fancy A/C system I spent all last summer installing. Pinched some of the hoses between the body when I landed on a rock.
      EGR delete - No reason other than to clean up the engine bay. Already had CEL but still runs fin.
      Brakes - Switched back to 94 Explorer MC. Pedal has a different feel but it will lock those suckers up!

And a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember right now. Hopefully the OD issue is something easy because the truck is otherwise ready to hit some trails!

8. bats

bats Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      88 Bronco II
      Had a stroke of luck and found the source of my two major problems. The no OD was a completely stretched out kickdown cable. The adjuster was stuck so have a new one on order. While doing mechanics yoga trying to reach my pedals I found a wire that got pinched in the door and exposed. Taped it up for now. That should solve the parasitic drain.