Battery Drain issue

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
I have had the battery checked and put on a new alternator yet if my XLT sits more than a day it either barely cranks or has to be jumped off. Last night I had to jump it but afterwards the voltage meter registered nothing the dash lights and headlights were very dim and the Abs warning was flashing. I drove it some but no change until I parked and cut the headlights off for a moment. When I turned them back on dash lights were at normal brightness and voltage meter gage was registering charging. If I go out and crank it every day there is no problem. Only if it sits a day with out being started. Any ideas anybody?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you have a ground issue, or your battery is not holding a charge. Check the battery cables for corrosion, and make sure the terminal ends are secure, especially at the frame ground and starter. You could also hook up a amp meter and see if there is a draw when parked. There should be a slight draw for the stereo pre-sets, etc., but not much.

Sounds like you have a ground issue, or your battery is not holding a charge. Check the battery cables for corrosion, and make sure the terminal ends are secure, especially at the frame ground and starter. You could also hook up a amp meter and see if there is a draw when parked. There should be a slight draw for the stereo pre-sets, etc., but not much.
I Had the battery checked and it was OK and charged 78%. I am not sure where to hook up an amp meter to to check for a draw.

Disconnect the positive battery cable. Hook up a amp meter in-line between the positive terminal and the battery cable. Read amp meter.

Before trying that or throwing any money at it, check the battery cables. With the failure to charge and no lights issue with the engine running, I would bet on faulty cables.

I checked for a draw and it reads pt 68 amps. Is this about normal for the radio backup?

Less than one amp is fine and not enough to drain your battery overnight. Maybe in a few weeks if the battery is strong.

Did you check the battery cables? Also check the connections on the alternator and to/from the solenoid.

Back