and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

battery goes dead overnight

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by rickrod, September 5, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. rickrod

rickrod New Member

City, State:
      Cape Cod, Ma.
      Year and Model:
      2001 Mountaineer
      I have a 2001 mountaineer aka explorer which the battery goes dead every 2 weeks. Sometimes overnight . I have had the alternator checked and it was okay. and i have replaced the diehard battery twice and it still does it. I know it is electrical but were do I start looking.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. pj8847

pj8847 Active Member

City, State:
      N.Y.C.
      Year and Model:
      '95 XLT 4x4 4.0L OHV
      Any "aftermarket" electrical work such as stereo or amp work done? what about non-factory alarm?

4. 4x4firefighter

4x4firefighter Active Member

City, State:
      Oneonta, NY
      Year and Model:
      99 Eddie Limited
      start at the batery terminals and follow them to check for any posible damage to the wires(rust, cuts etc). if u have this problem it is probably a coraded wire someplace. also like the other guy said any "DYI" or aftermarket wiring could be faulty.......good luck :salute:

5. Cobraguy

Cobraguy Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth
      Year and Model:
      1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0
      Like was mentioned, check any aftermarket accessories. Check for interior lights left on. Do all electrical systems work? Someone hasn't disconnected something that wouldn't shut off and left the relay energized?

Next, you need to check for a draw. If you find it's excessive (which you probably will), start pulling fuses until it goes away. Now you know what circuit it's on.