Battery Recommendation? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery Recommendation?

i need to replace my battery pretty soon. what is the group size, amp and CCA? my present battery has 75ah 700CCA, i'm not concern about the CCA much bec of the hot weather here and the coolest temp is only 15C. i'm wondering if i can go up to let say 80-90 ah? is the heavy duty alternator ok for higher amps or stick with recommended amps?
What trim level do you have (Base, XLT, etc.)? You haven't added that to your profile. Some trims have different batteries depending on the features of the vehicle.
Here is a chart I found on the Internet. Not sure if it helps at all. http://www.spautoparts.com/documents/batteryspecs.pdf
Your Owner's Manual will show the types recommended for the Explorer.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The date sticker on my battery (Interstate) did not get marked so I don't know how old it is and I bought my Exp used. Don't know if it is original or a replacement. Is there an easy way to check battery status / expected remaining life? It's been performing fine so far.

Also, does anyone know where I can find the orange cover for the positive battery terminal? Mine was missing and I could not find a part #

THANKS

The date sticker on my battery (Interstate) did not get marked so I don't know how old it is and I bought my Exp used. Don't know if it is original or a replacement. Is there an easy way to check battery status / expected remaining life? It's been performing fine so far.

Also, does anyone know where I can find the orange cover for the positive battery terminal? Mine was missing and I could not find a part #

THANKS
I'm guessing that since it is an Interstate instead of a Motorcraft that it is probably a replacement. As for the + terminal cover, I don't think it is even listed in the parts sites. Perhaps an auto wrecker/recycler may be the place to get one, or you can try calling a dealer.

Peter

If you really want a terminal cover that is factory just go down to your Ford dealer and talk to the parts person.

A quick search showed that they are available but I couldn't come up with a part number.

Quick question - does a Group 65 actually fit the battery tray? Our OEM Group 59 is ready for the recycler, That battery is a little over 10" long, while the Group 65 is a bit over 12". The front edge of the tray is open, but it looks like the airbox is awfully close for a 12" battery to fit. Can anyone confirm? It doesn't seem like others have had trouble. 3.5L N/A engine...

There are a lot more options in the Group 65, and the additional CCA are a good idea here in the Northeast.
Yep. This is the battery from my F150 in my wife’s 2015 Explorer XLT. Just making sure before I upgrade her. Gone through 2 batteries in 5 years and I think her truck is causing it. They corrode so bad it destroys the positive terminal assembly so I’ve bought 2 of those now also. YouTube and Google seem to confirm itS a common problem in these Exp’s.

Attachments

• 004E9662-8B13-419A-B7C4-557045D08F68.jpeg
    004E9662-8B13-419A-B7C4-557045D08F68.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 84

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Got 5 years out of my Motorcraft battery. Suggest spraying the red terminal grease on them to reduce corrosion. These cars are not hard on batteries.

Quick question - does a Group 65 actually fit the battery tray? Our OEM Group 59 is ready for the recycler, That battery is a little over 10" long, while the Group 65 is a bit over 12". The front edge of the tray is open, but it looks like the airbox is awfully close for a 12" battery to fit. Can anyone confirm? It doesn't seem like others have had trouble. 3.5L N/A engine...

There are a lot more options in the Group 65, and the additional CCA are a good idea here in the Northeast.

Back