behind the passenger airbag | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

behind the passenger airbag

ibmp200

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ranger XL
I have a 2007 Ranger XL. I needed to do some work behind the passenger airbag. There is nothing wrong however with the airbag. So I removed the fastening bolts above the glove compartment, pulled out the airbag module carefully but had to disconnect the module electrical connector. While I was doing the work behind, I had a minor non-vehicle emergency, that required me to drive someplace. A short distance. I had no passengers, and this is my only vehicle, but I drove. I did notice that the airbag indicator light illuminated in the instrument cluster area, which I supposed had to do with the disconnection of the module. There was however no beeps or tones associated with the illumination and neither did it blink. But it remained lit.

My question here is two-pointed:
1- Will a disconnected passenger airbag 'disable' the driver airbag from working/deploying?
2- Will reconnecting the passenger airbag cause both the indicator light to go off, and allow things to return to normal prior to my initial work?

Or do I hafta depower and repower the system entirely?

I can't answer your questions, but can address the light and beep (or lack thereof). The air bags in my '01 Sport Trac were deployed (and not replaced) some time before I bought it. The air bag light blinks a few times when the truck is 1st started, then stays on constantly. Twice recently, instead of the light flashing and staying on, there was a beep that matched the pattern of the flashes. It beeped 3 or 4 times I think. About 20-30 seconds later it beeped the same way, and then did it again after another 20-30 seconds. No more beeping after that. The tone is different than any other tone I've heard from the truck. Scared me the 1st time, especially since I was on my way to church and had my 15 month old granddaughter with me, but I quickly saw the air bag light was not on like it usually is. Based on my experience, it either beeps or the light flashes, but not both at the same time. The beeps might be a backup in case the light isn't working.

I can't answer your questions, but can address the light and beep (or lack thereof). The air bags in my '01 Sport Trac were deployed (and not replaced) some time before I bought it. The air bag light blinks a few times when the truck is 1st started, then stays on constantly. Twice recently, instead of the light flashing and staying on, there was a beep that matched the pattern of the flashes. It beeped 3 or 4 times I think. About 20-30 seconds later it beeped the same way, and then did it again after another 20-30 seconds. No more beeping after that. The tone is different than any other tone I've heard from the truck. Scared me the 1st time, especially since I was on my way to church and had my 15 month old granddaughter with me, but I quickly saw the air bag light was not on like it usually is. Based on my experience, it either beeps or the light flashes, but not both at the same time. The beeps might be a backup in case the light isn't working.

Thank you. Well, I have since put the airbag back in, following the procedure in my ford workshop manual. I have decided to just leave it installed and not worry about doing without it.

Back