Being new to the 4.6, I'm wondering if this diesel sound is normal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Being new to the 4.6, I'm wondering if this diesel sound is normal?

geosnooker2000

Reaction score
City, State
Somerville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
Sounds like rockers knocking or a diesel engine. Truck is new to me (3 weeks) 120k miles on it, and seems strong and gets good gas mileage (21mpg if I hold my tongue just right) . Does not run hot. Oil level seems correct. It is very faint, but it's definitely there. Am I worrying for nothing? Or is this a known issue that will turn into something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Read about camshaft phasers on 3v engines

Just checked out a couple videos on YouTube. Very interesting... Thanks! Any risk in letting it go 'til the summer?

If you can't replace them now and can deal with a check engine light just unplug both phasers it should help reduce the issue with less risk of a catastrophic failure

If the noise goes away after 1-2 minutes of warm-up, it's 1 or more broken exhaust manifold studs.
If noise continues after 1-2 minutes of warm up, see other recommendations.

If you can't replace them now and can deal with a check engine light just unplug both phasers it should help reduce the issue with less risk of a catastrophic failure

I'm not getting a CEL. Like I said, it is very faint. Most people wouldn't even notice it, but coming from the 5.0L, this engine sounds different. It *MAY* just sound this way. IDK.

And @ thebreakman -

This is definitely after warm up. If I had to guess, I would say this must be the very beginning of the phaser problem. When it's not bad enough to throw a code yet. But again... I'm guessing.

The 5.4 and 4.6 engines have a very different sound (not referring to exhaust note) than the older 302/5.0

Christobal65 is saying you can disconnect the phasers, but then u will get a check engine light. This may help til you can resolve the issue. I did it on a 2006 expedition 5.4 successfully

Back