1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Best aftermarket alarm w/ remote start

Discussion in 'Explorer Related Polls' started by RAZOR, January 7, 2003.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. RAZOR

RAZOR Active Member

City, State:
      Lyndhurst,NJ
      Year and Model:
      '98 Sport 4x4 4.0L SOHC
      I am considering the purchase of a car alarm with a remote starter. I would like to know anyone's opinion and experience with all the different brands out there. Thanks, RAZOR:confused:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jssong

jssong Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Year and Model:
      dei alarms.. like viper, python, etc

4. 94XMike

94XMike New Member

City, State:
      St. Charles,Il
      Year and Model:
      '94 Eddie Bauer
      I just got the Viper installed today and love it!

5. LiKuiD

LiKuiD bahhhhhhhhh Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Hillsborough, NJ
      Year and Model:
      '94 EB
      I had a great experience w/ Crimestopper and their line of remote starters/alarms. Don't forget to check them out too!

6. mattadams

mattadams Tall Man Little Escape Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      Year and Model:
      2010 Escape XLT
      I've got the Viper 790 XV in my F-150. Its the one that is called the "responder", it pages your transponder if it goes off, etc. It's got remote start, keyless entry, alarm, and power windows up/down. The only problem I've had with it is the windows up/down (which is the 530t module) which we can't seem to get working right, and the original installer of the alarm was kind of a moron, but other then that I really like it!

7. CougarX

CougarX Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      Year and Model:
      '98 EB, '02 ST, '97 XLT
      I've got a Crimestopper remote start with the 2-way remote on mine and I love it. Crimestopper's Alarm system with the remote start will cost you less than the Viper but its hard to find a installer for Crimestopper. I installed mine myself but wouldn't really recommend it unless you're a stubborn cheap bastard like me :p

The Viper system with the two way remote is going to run you about $400 installed and if you have the PATS transponder key they are going to charge you an extra $50 for the key bypass (even though the bypass only costs $27 if you buy it yourself). The Viper is a great system though. My sister has it on her durango and she loves hers too. It comes with everything including a shock sensor and you can add any number of modules to it to expand it.

8. RAZOR

RAZOR Active Member

City, State:
      Lyndhurst,NJ
      Year and Model:
      '98 Sport 4x4 4.0L SOHC
      I would like to thank you guys for responding to my topic. After much consideration as to features, price, availability, quality and reliability I decided to go with the Crimestopper2011RS Series III. It has all the features I need and the installer really knows his S__T

9. XploderSport96

XploderSport96 Member

City, State:
      Omaha, NE
      Year and Model:
      '96 Sport
      The viper and clifford lines (DEI) are the best period. Crimestoppers are good autopage's are better. But the DEI products are the best.

10. A Wise Guy

A Wise Guy Well-Known Member

City, State:
      McHenry, IL.
      Year and Model:
      '06 Limited Dark Cherry
      DEI all the way. Python with remote start was originally installed in '97 in my wife's Dodge Avenger. Since I was trading in the car and the dealer wasn't giving any more money because of the sytem I had it removed. $120. for the removal but to replace everything it would have been over $500. so it made sense to do it. The shop has been good when it comes to tweaking the system to make it just right also. Not bad for a place that I didn't buy from originally.

11. Ak LTD Xplorer

Ak LTD Xplorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Anchorage Alaska
      Year and Model:
      1996 LIMITED OFF ROAD 4X4
      astrostart is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. XploderSport96

XploderSport96 Member

City, State:
      Omaha, NE
      Year and Model:
      '96 Sport
      Ouch! The stereo store I work at removes them for $40

13. X~FACTOR

X~FACTOR Name is Ray

City, State:
      Valley Stream, Long Island
      Year and Model:
      '97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
      I have a Prestige by Audiovox. I got it installed for $325 with other "extras". It has lots of neat feature that I never use. A step up would be a CompuStar but that cost $400+. Depending how good you are electronically this one is for the professional to install. I do okay with electrical problems but when I saw all the wires to be installed and connected :eek: my head just started spinning. :D

edit: found a link for you. :)

http://sealeddeals.com/security1.html

Last edited: January 23, 2004
    14. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Brockton, MA
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT 4x4
      I have installed 10+ Audiovox Prestige units (various models) withought any problems. On older units the key fob had a fragile key ring connector that tended to break, but they have since redesigned it.. The one in my X is currently 11yrs old with zero problems.

IMO any of the brands mentioned are good choices. If your are installing it yourself you want to insure It has all the features you currently want and can be upgraded easily to the additional feature you may add on in the future (remote start etc). Some brands require you to purchase external relays to work power door locks etc. This can be good or bad. Bad because you need to buy them and wire them in, but good because if they do go bad you can replace them (if they were internal you'd have to figure out out to replace the module on the circuit board PITA...