Best method to replace spark plugs on 98 Mercury Mountaineer V8 5.0?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best method to replace spark plugs on 98 Mercury Mountaineer V8 5.0??

I don't understand. Please explain.
I mean, if you think I shouldn't have posted this because the discussion ended five years ago and nobody cares anymore, you may be wrong. I found this thread because I looked at the difficultly at reaching some of the spark plugs and searched this forum for advice.
I am sure other people who need advice about this subject will do the same.
Is there a deadline for giving advice on changing spark plugs on a 5.0 engine? If there is, I apologize.

No, but reviving a dead topic is silly. You could make your own if needed help.
You just wanted just to post a link to a video...
Hmmm, I wonder is that is your video (and is monetized)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see both sides of this debate. The video really should have it's own, new thread. But that's just me.

i removed the splash guards only,one plug was rusted in bad,a mechanic told me to get the plug warm and not hot and it would come out ,didnt work that way,i got the plug hot and worked it back and forward and it came out,after that it was the easiest plugs i ever changed.and yes i run bosch plugs and so far no problems.

I just did this on my '00 Mounty. It was much simpler than I expected. First off, the rubber splash guards must be moved aside. All plugs are accessible this way. The worst ones are #4 and #5 . #4 requires removing the wire retaining tab from the rear valvecover fastener and #5 is just awkward. It took me a few hours with several beers and listening to music, not rushing. Well worth the effort, though!

Wow...glad to have a 4.0 OHV! I just did mine Thursday--new plugs and wires--in 45 mins. The only thing I had to remove was the EGR valve to get the pipe out of the way. No funny wobble sockets or u joints either. Just a standard plug socket, a 1.5" extension, a 3" extension, and a 6" extension.

Had to replace 2 year old plugs with maybe 3000 miles on them due to severe fouling by Lucas upper cylinder lube. I had a gallon I wanted to get rid of, so for a year I've been dumping in a full dose at every full tank fill up. Left my plugs crusted in ashy deposits--never seen almost new plugs so dirty.

So...no more Lucas crap for me.

Wow...glad to have a 4.0 OHV! I just did mine Thursday--new plugs and wires--in 45 mins. The only thing I had to remove was the EGR valve to get the pipe out of the way. No funny wobble sockets or u joints either. Just a standard plug socket, a 1.5" extension, a 3" extension, and a 6" extension.

Had to replace 2 year old plugs with maybe 3000 miles on them due to severe fouling by Lucas upper cylinder lube. I had a gallon I wanted to get rid of, so for a year I've been dumping in a full dose at every full tank fill up. Left my plugs crusted in ashy deposits--never seen almost new plugs so dirty.

So...no more Lucas crap for me.

I never had to touch the EGR valve to do plugs and wires, and I've done them twice already.

Yeah, I can't speak to the V6 model, but for the V8, I accessed all plugs from the fenderwell after detaching the secondary splashguard (held onto the main, rigid one with push clips). Much easier job than I anticipated, for sure.

I never had to touch the EGR valve to do plugs and wires, and I've done them twice already.

Probably don't have to, but mine is pretty rust-free so I can have the EGR valve unbolted and the tube/valve assembly swung out of the way in under 5 mins. Worth it just to have the easy access.

Back