best thing $100 can buy?

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
ok.. its the holiday season and i like buying myself stuff for the truck. so i thought it would a good idea if we had a post of 'affordable' gear, tools, accessories, or any item that an offroader shouldnt be without.. at a price of $100 or less

so lets see em..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi lift jack, recover points, tow ropes, shovel, 12 volt compressor, I could go all day :D

I've never been on a wheeling trip where someone didn't find a use for D-rings and a tow strap. More efficient in 90% of situations than a winch but just as effective.

A good cooler. You're not going to get a Yeti in that price range but I have a good Coleman that was under $100.

Oooh, one of the most important, imo. A good basic first aid kit. There have been a couple times I've had to pull it out and unfortunately both times I was the only one with a first aid kit. You get can a pretty good one at a good price. Not flashy or impressive but much appreciated when needed. Both times I've had to use it, nobody else in the group had one and the last time there was a nurse and a paramedic with us.

Gas seems like the number 1 answer

Uniden Pro520XL CB + antenna
Currie or ARB Tire Deflator
Trasharoo (if you have a bumper mount spare tire)
First Aid kit was a good one mentioned above
Receiver hitch shackle adapter (do not buy one that has a welded mount like the Harbor Freight one!!!)
Rubber Floor mats
5 gallon NATO gas can w/ spout

Every trail run I usually use a CB, my Currie deflator, the Trasharoo and take along my 5 gallon NATO can for gas.

The most effective thing to have on any trail is "Common Sense", it's free but judging by a lot of videos and pictures I see on youtube of people wheelin' they don't bring it along with them. :banghead::bsnicker:

Other then the things listed above I would suggest a good tire repair kit like I carry: PowerTank Pro Series Tire Repair Kit part # KIT-8133 $49.95. I won it in a raffle at the last trail run I went to at Doe Valley in Windber, Pa.. I haven't used it yet but have repaired plenty of other peoples tires and valve stems on the trial in the past.

A good pair of leather gloves and steel toe boots are always good to have when out on the trail. Had plenty of boulders fall on my feet over the years and always had steel toe boots to save me, the gloves come in handy for many reasons: winch cable, moving debris, boulders, tree's, etc... :thumbsup:

..With $100 I would put half into a toolbox full of hand tools for trail repairs which would help me get to a main road, and the other half into triple AAA to get me the rest of the way home..:D

..and yea...even if you are broke down and have no gas, triple AAA will haul your sorry butt home..;)

..it made for a really long day but still an offroad trip to remember..:biggthump

Hit up Craigslist with those $100 and you're golden. I once found an ad of a woman selling her husbands tools for pennies on the dollar for cheating. Could have probably bought the garage for $100. Lol

Add a good way to secure gear so it is not rolling around. I like my ammo can mounts I made but a well secured tool box would work as well. Tools, spare parts, ice chests are heavy and hurt if they hit you.

patch kit / air compressor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back