Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread | Page 45 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread

The new turd mobile. 2000 Mountaineer v8 awd.

The bad:

Was living it's prior life on a dusty road. Must tear out interior and deep clean.
Driver window off track "or something" and will not roll down. It tries but the rear part wants to stay up.

3 out of 4 door handles have issues. I have 4 new outer handles on order.
Cracked passenger side tail light housing. ( Ebay for some cool tail lights)

Compass-Thermometer thingy lit up and went out--idunno bout that yet

Door locks seem sticky, probably has to do with the handles.
It has a funky purple color trim with red metallic ( you'll have that every now and then) :(

The good
Gas tank was full
109k miles
I am the 2nd owner!!
Is from the local area, which means no salt!
The undercarriage is fairly clean
No dents to underside panels
Good rubber
Camber shims already installed
Looks like good service records, all recalls were completed.
Clean carfax believe it or not.

The "maybe" bad

The original owner, told the dealership it had a bad "heater core" however I have run it for several cycles, over an hour each idling in the driveay and see no leaks.
However, there was evidence of a windshield leak or the like,I saw condensation on the inside of the windows this AM. The moisture smell is that of water only-no anti freeze smell. I am thinking it could also be a cowl drain which is clogged???? but she did say the passenger carpet got wet.

I tried to get heat, however it is an auto climate control. Being 90 degrees outside, I doubt it would have given me heat.The heater core hoses were hot, and the coolant bypass valve does operate. AC blows Ice cold.

Maybe she meant to say "heater door"???

Anyway--here are the pics.

My intent is to drive this and use it as a tow rig for a light weight off road toy. Mods will be minimal. Edit: This plan did not work out so on to plan "b"

Current visual status

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

Progress pictures
025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

042.jpg

038.jpg

Now, let's clean it up a little

Herculine'rd rocker panels. Rock sliders installed

005-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

BW 4406 True 4x4 Manual transfer case ( AKA Mouse entry point) installed 8-27-2012
Installed newer Tcase from a 2003 11-14-15

003-7.jpg

Saw a rainbow in Colorado so yeah, time for a picture
119.jpg

And here she is, on top of the highest pass road in North America. Careful tire placement a must!!!
041-1.jpg

2-2-2013

Changed "color scheme" of the Dick Cepek DC1 wheels. New Falken Wildpeak AT 31x1050x15

005_zps519396ed.jpg

Then I decided Maroon washer on the wheels would look better

006_zps9145ce92.jpg

003_zpse4691714.jpg

Update 6-6-2013

New bumpers, winch and Pro LED light . Front Bumper from RLC, Skid plate from RCI, rear bumper from Kert307

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

002_zps7dd4e30f.jpg

Rear anti sway disconnects

004_zps1b757042.jpg

Update 9-2-2014
A cracked radiator at 70mph led to engine failure. Replaced with a freshened up a bit 80k mile engine starting on page 23

001_zps0a3e1791.jpg

Found another rainbow in Kansas.

008_zpsarhv1lwt.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

better look the whole truck over real good!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I hate to see that Jon, you don't want to have to spend time and money on surveillance or cameras etc.

I hate to see that Jon, you don't want to have to spend time and money on surveillance or cameras etc.

My property is covered by cameras on a city facility across the east west street. We have a corner lot, and it is on the opposite corner diagonal from us. My neighbor across the north south street also has stuff set up, as does his son who owns the other part of their 3 lot corner complex. It's pretty well known there are cameras there as it is used as a child transfer station, safe place for abused people, and a lot of time there will be an 18 wheeler parked there because of the cameras. This is a pretty well traveled corner right here. But then, you could be right.

I used to have cameras set up but to be honest, it caused a level of self induced paranoia for lack of better terms. Every noise would interrupt our normally scheduled program so I could switch the tv to camera feed. I unhooked all the stuff. We already have a dog who barks at every noise and a deaf one who barks so he isn't left out.

I could run cameras to a 'puter I guess so I don't have to interrupt MLB's Ghost Adventures , Alaska bush people etc.

#1 question though, do I need to get new straps? I have 2 sets sitting right here.

Your not supposed to re-use them, but most of us do, if there is nothing wrong with them.

The straps pictured...Is that an old pic, or did you have other straps, besides the one you cut off?

As cheap as they are, and as important as they are, I carry a new set at all times for spares, or replacement. When I use a new set, I order another.

I've reused them a few times, last year I swapped the parts to my new truck. I agree with Greg though, new bolts are desired. I'll check those out on Amazon and add some to my stash.

Your not supposed to re-use them, but most of us do, if there is nothing wrong with them.

The straps pictured...Is that an old pic, or did you have other straps, besides the one you cut off?

As cheap as they are, and as important as they are, I carry a new set at all times for spares, or replacement. When I use a new set, I order another.

New picture of some extras I have. I'll get new ones though.

talk about bullshit! yea, i would plug your camera's back in. thats not vandalism, thats borderline murder if you ask me. what would have happen if somehow that dug into the ground while you were driving! its a good thing you have a 4406 as well. say bye bye to mr. oil pan and what ever else got in the way.

It's amazing what I see running around this state on trucks or trailers.

What did you ever end up doing with your exhaust system? I have a feeling my cat's are plugged and probably need to be replaced.

Man that sucks Jon. I'm glad the damage isn't worse.

I was the victim of sabotage once. The night of our HS graduation someone loosened the lug nuts on my first Dodge Dart and put the hubcap back on. I was driving with a friend and said "Do you feel that vibration"? At the same time I was saying that I put my hand down on the tranny tunnel to feel the floorboard. Just then the back of the car raises up on the driver side, and then comes crashing down. The car skidded across the divider line, and I came to a stop on the shoulder of the opposite side of the road. Had their been oncoming traffic it would have been horrific:eek: The wheel and tire continued on down the road...

talk about bullshit! yea, i would plug your camera's back in. thats not vandalism, thats borderline murder if you ask me. what would have happen if somehow that dug into the ground while you were driving! its a good thing you have a 4406 as well. say bye bye to mr. oil pan and what ever else got in the way.

Yeah, as it is using 2wd I didn't notice a thing. go figure.

What did you ever end up doing with your exhaust system? I have a feeling my cat's are plugged and probably need to be replaced.
My exhaust is probably just like yours. I've wondered also if my cats aren't restricted.

Man that sucks Jon. I'm glad the damage isn't worse.

I was the victim of sabotage once. The night of our HS graduation someone loosened the lug nuts on my first Dodge Dart and put the hubcap back on. I was driving with a friend and said "Do you feel that vibration"? At the same time I was saying that I put my hand down on the tranny tunnel to feel the floorboard. Just then the back of the car raises up on the driver side, and then comes crashing down. The car skidded across the divider line, and I came to a stop on the shoulder of the opposite side of the road. Had their been oncoming traffic it would have been horrific:eek: The wheel and tire continued on down the road...

Now that would be scary, and a lucky outcome. Although it probably makes for a better story than if it didn't happen huh? Do you have an idea who did that?

Do you have an idea who did that?

Not a clue. The graduation party was at a friends house, but it was an open party.

These photos were scanned together that's why there is a random shot attached. Lot's of carnage from that event :angryfire:

The gold car next to mine is my friend John's moms car. See the black on the rear quarter? He started the damn thing on fire putting fuel into it:eek:
scan0001.jpg

How is your engine running, that you suspect the cats? What are the main symptoms for these 302 Explorers if the cats get plugged? I'd hunted a miss for years in my Mercury, and after discovering the gas tank corroding inside(plugged the pump sock), I still have a hard miss.

I've hoped it might be the cats, instead of lean running burning up the pistons etc. I'm going to get on the exhaust of my Black Coal truck in a couple of months. I plan to swap the cats from that truck into my Mercury, to test that idea. Otherwise that engine is done, and I'm not ready to build another one yet.

Mine has 275K miles on it. I have put on maybe 100 miles on it since I bought it. I have no idea of the history, I have started changing out some of the under hood stuff and some of it is original. Who knows how long this thing has sat and idled. My guess for the cats is, this is a 20 year old truck. They have to be worn out by now. I figure I may as well resto-mod this thing up as I go. I plan to just get hi-flow type of cats or whatever the exhaust guy recommends when I get there.

Mine has 275K miles on it. I have put on maybe 100 miles on it since I bought it. I have no idea of the history, I have started changing out some of the under hood stuff and some of it is original. Who knows how long this thing has sat and idled. My guess for the cats is, this is a 20 year old truck. They have to be worn out by now. I figure I may as well resto-mod this thing up as I go. I plan to just get hi-flow type of cats or whatever the exhaust guy recommends when I get there.

Just be sure he puts the Bank 1, o2 sensor 1, in the cat like it is now. They should be able to do this without using a ford replacement. Blow a hole outwith a torch and weld in a bung.

Well, this weekend was eventful for Betty. First thing was to replace the conversion u joint and straps, which went real well. I then tried out the 4wd, everything seemed to work. What happened above I do not know for sure but it isn't gonna happen again. I won't even call the police when the alarm sounds. Mr fire breathing Sporting rifle will greet them.

anywhoo. MLB ( for those that aren't caught up, MLB is "my lovely bride) and i raised ol gal up off of all 4 wheels so I could watch the drive train in action. I had this overwhelming sense of something amiss under there, as we have had a wheel speed noise along with what I would call low fuel economy. The latter I blame mostly on the combination of larger tires and offset, and the front bumper-skid plate aerodynamics( or lack of).

well, guess what? After years of typing"check you rear emergency brakes for dragging" , did I check mne? Heck no. Well, guess what?

driver side e brake was working oh so good! so good the limited slip had to work overtime and make the passenger side wheel spin double speed. Weird.

I re adjusted the e brake on the drver side and wouldn't ya know it. No more rubbing noise. Go figure.

I can honestly say now that brake isn't working as good as it should, As it skips and chirps now under engine load while in the air free wheeling. I bet it's a little glazed over.

Hopefully some time with some emery cloth and new shoes will help.

When it came time to lower her back down I worked in the reverse, lowered the rear first because it was raised last. I jacked the rear up to relieve the stands , and the front end slipped off the jackstands entirely. I was using the hooks on the lower control arms as jackstand pads and they just slipped right off. That made it easy to get it down yes, but just a few minutes earlier I was under there. Oh, and they slid off my large stands, the 12 ton huge boys.

Do not do this would be my advise. The passenger side jack stand hit hard on the swaybar bracket but only dented the bracket. No real harm. driver side jackstand popped out clear of everything.

Wow!... glad you are ok. I have done that before, jacked it up, put it in gear and watched the parts rotate. I had it on sturdy jackstands, on a flat surface (my garage). I was fairly sure it would be ok, but I didn't stay under there any longer than I had to.

I'm busy packing everything up now. the house is a mess.. the garage is a mess.... stop on by anytime ya want though!

I never use those hooks on the control arms. They don't seem secure enough to me. I usually use the frame just behind the control arms but where the torsion bars don't interfere. This causes it to be front heavy but I still feel it is the best option, short of having really long jack stands to catch the frame just behind the front bumper.

I'm glad everything's okay there Jon. I put mine on jack stands under the frame between the LCA's, at the joint of the LCA front mount. I've never used those hooks.

Yesterday was spent tearing down, cleaning up and putting new stuffs in Betty's front drive area.

New Precision hubs and cv axles, and, longer torsion bar bolts. For the number 1 rated bars. she's a fatty

I cleaned the inner dust seals so well, the new rubber of the cv dust seals rubbing against them makes a very quiet sound like a baby crying when you are driving slow near a structure. Squeaky clean by golly. Or baby killer? Or could it be demons?

another thing i need to take care of right quick, and always slips my mind until I think of it again is that when I remove the rear sway bar end link disconnect clips, the axle will flex further. This extra droop on the driver side will stretch the brake line connection at the frame and cause all kinds of bad things at the worse possible time. So, I need to extend the rear brake line where it attaches to the frame. I've done this before but it was several years back. I know what to do but need to gather the correct parts.

I need a line about 6" long, male on one end female on the other, or, a flare union to join a male-male chunk in there.

I do have this, but the threads are a little off. It will snag but not thread into the explorer fittings.

I could put the nuts in a vice and, using a thread cutting tool, rethread it to 3/8 24 easy enough without damaging anything, and use a 3/8 24 flare union bushing ( female to female)

004.JPG

Threads re arranged from metric ( i think) to 3/8 -24 and now it fits into the fittings of the brake stuff i have laying around.

Just need to get an inverted flare union. They have these at oreillys so I will pick one up asap

005.JPG

006.JPG

Back