bigred4x4

Off-road enthusiast
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
chesapeake virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt 4x4
I'm in the market for new tires I loved the ko's I've tested them in almost every environment imaginable from snow to mud to rock and sand,to wet and icy roads,dirt,gravel , aired up and down and some towing. Good road manners on the street were fairly quiet handled well and tread life was bar none I got probably 60k miles out of them in fact the main reason I'm replacing them is because of age (11 years now) Don't want a blow out and possible roll over at high way speeds. Snow traction was decent didn't need 4wd most of the time for the little snow I get here and although they don't compare to the mud terrains I ussed to have in the mud they still get the job done in the watery local mud but the mud terrains didn't last two years! (Dunlop mud rovers) any way they've taking a beating and don't want to quite Enough said ! So naturally I'm wanting the ko2's especially because there supposed to be an overall significant improvement over the ko's ........but to my surprise I saw a lot of mixed reviews on them on the internet my question is has anybody tried both generations and are completely satisfied with the new model or wished they'd gone a different route. I have limited options for 32x11.5x15 and would like to stick to a more aggressive all terrain tire (some "all terrains" look like glorified all weather street tires)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also have the AT KOs 31", first set I got over 70K on them. Second set are going very well. Very nice tire.

Second being a set of Ko or the new ko2's? My dad has both on his truck right now(needed new tires in the rear) and he loves the new tires he used to be strictly biased to Michelin and now has a new favorite with bfg I just can't understand why there is a lot of negative reviews saying there crap don't last long and the Ko was better when there advertised as being a great improvement including tread life over the ko

Yup KOs.

Can you still even buy ko's anymore? Everywhere I look I only see ko2's.

I've run KO's for years, present set is from 2009 and is due for replacement. Prior to that I ran a set of KO's from 2003-2009 and put 60k miles on them. I haven't read any bad reviews about the KO2, yours is the first I've heard of them getting mixed reviews.

Check out bfg website and they're customer feedback I'm going to give the ko2's a try for sure and will update in the future on performance also the ko's supposedly had sidewall failure issue which I have yet to see for my own eyes probably idiots that had something else go bad which caused excessive tire wear blamed it on the tire tried to get something for free and wrote bad reviews in spite.

O and the last Ko I bought was about two years ago to have as a spare will have to see what comes up when I take it in for the new tires which probably won't be for another month or so

I just put on some of the AT KO2s. Very aggressive tire compared even to the KOs, really like the look. Discount Tire here in GJ CO would not put the 31s on my vehicle. Utah put them on in 2005 and then again in 2013, unbelieveable. Went over to Big O paid a little bit more (overall), but they put them on for me no problem.

Sweet it's definitely what I'm getting I loved the Ko and I'm sure I'll love these even more if the manufacturer claim is on point bfg makes a Damn good tire in my opinion

Discount Tire here in GJ CO would not put the 31s on my vehicle.

Why not? A 31 isn't even a very big tire! It fits under a stock height truck. What was their reason?

Why not? A 31 isn't even a very big tire! It fits under a stock height truck. What was their reason?
They told me something back in 1993 was done, that they even said it was a company policy that anything besides the stock size was allowed on the explorer. All I know is that the Discount Tire in GJ, CO will not put them on. Compared to the stock tire, the 31 crushes it, in my book. So don't be surprised that other DTs in other states might do the same.

Waiting at Firestone now waiting on my ko2's to be put on
15074760955961053150836.jpg

......Ouch!! Got a life time alignment but still! I may consider falken wildpeak at3 next time and save $200.lol the guy at the desk when I walked in "you got the 4 tires for the explorer? Those are some big tires!" I may have to revive this thread in the future once I get them off road and some mileage on them as a sort of ko vs ko2 review.

They had no problems with putting on the larger than stock tires but my friend that works at uhaul says they still won't rent trailers to second generation explorers.... What gives?!

There almost done I'll post pics in a minute.

KIMG0069.JPG

KIMG0070.JPG

O yea there looking sexy for sure definitely have more of an aggressive look and there are way more quiet then my last tires were.

You should have put the lettering on the inside. Are those weights on the outside?

For some reason I've already liked the white letter out. Kinda ties into the pinstripe. The wheel weights were on the outside they removed them and installed weights on the inside I just need to clean were the weights once were and there actually 32's they look taller than my old ones but also a little skinnier

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the exact same tires. Discount Tire told me that the reason for not putting them on is because of the whole Firestone rollover issue back in the day. They wouldn't even sell me rims for mine. Said stock size only. I took my rims to a different DT, told them it was for a trailer, sold them to me right there.

Back