Bigger Tires?

SlwSVT

Reaction score
City, State
Belen, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 XLT Eddie Bauer
Hello,

I am new to the forum. Just picked up a 06 Eddie Bauer edition and love it. I was thinking of putting on some bigger wheels and tires. But, I heard that with bigger tires the auto/computer cannot handle it and the SUV does not shift correctly. I heard the drivability get's poor. Anyone have any experience with larger wheels/tires?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WELCOME! The key is to search on the site.

It all depends on how much bigger you go. If you go just touch larger, you shouldnt feel much. The larger you go, the worse it gets till you start changing suspension and gearing. The more aggressive of a tread you get (Boggers vs Street Tires) the worse the ride will get. This is true not only on Explorers, but on all vehicles.

SlwSVT said:
Hello,

I am new to the forum. Just picked up a 06 Eddie Bauer edition and love it. I was thinking of putting on some bigger wheels and tires. But, I heard that with bigger tires the auto/computer cannot handle it and the SUV does not shift correctly. I heard the drivability get's poor. Anyone have any experience with larger wheels/tires?

Thanks

Go buy some 32" tires RIGHT THIS INSTANT!! :) they will look great and you probably wont notice a difference in the driveability.

I´m running 265/70 R16 on my V8 Eddie - they´re bigger than the 18" stock wheels with 235/65 R18 and have no probs. But have to add that it shifts much better and smoother since I run it with XCalibrator-II. Guess much bigger than 265/70 R16 sin´t possible w/o modding the body / fenderflares.

Guess 15" rims won´t fit because of the brakediscs.

If you know anybody running the tires and wheels that you like on any type of Explorer, ask for a try on your Eddie. The wheels are the same ( 5x4.5" mount ), only the offset differs. I walked that way with the wheels of my 99 on my 06 Eddie to figure out if they fit ;)

I wonder if anyone has any experience running a 275/65/18 on their explorer? Any problems with rubbing or anything? I have an Xcal-II so i can change any settings in the onboard computer that need to be changed.

Crizz said:
I´m running 265/70 R16 on my V8 Eddie - they´re bigger than the 18" stock wheels with 235/65 R18 and have no probs. But have to add that it shifts much better and smoother since I run it with XCalibrator-II. Guess much bigger than 265/70 R16 sin´t possible w/o modding the body / fenderflares.

Guess 15" rims won´t fit because of the brakediscs.

If you know anybody running the tires and wheels that you like on any type of Explorer, ask for a try on your Eddie. The wheels are the same ( 5x4.5" mount ), only the offset differs. I walked that way with the wheels of my 99 on my 06 Eddie to figure out if they fit ;)

Good post. Have you tried to max out your suspension to see if there's any rubbing? I'm considering 255's, but would like to go to 265's if it works throughout the suspension travel...

Haven´t had the way to figure out, but maybe this weekend on a meeting of the "Ford Explorer Friends" over here in Oerlinghausen ( close to Bielefeld / Paderborn if anybody knows ). Will take a ride thru a "sandpit", an offroad-fan has his own area there where will have a trip to.

Back