Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

Discussion in 'Offroad Projects' started by BKennedy, June 4, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. johnny499

johnny499 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      brooklyn park,mn
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Mountaineer 5.0 SAS
      Callsign:
      W3JF
      [​IMG]
      This should be the correct schematic. older Fords use the 5 wire scenario.
      wires are in drivers kick and are supposed to be
      lock = pink/yellow
      unlock = pink/green
      It's been a few years since i did mine. the wires will be 14 awg or 12 awg

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Thank you. Will the door switches still function this way? I already spliced the wires, but did not realize it needed to go to and from the relays. I will give this a shot and report back. What confused me about this diagram is it shows the relays being wired in between the motor and switch, so it would need to be for each door. If you are saying I can access the wiring from the kick panel, than that must not matter, or the pink / yellow and pink / light green wires must already be in between the switch and motors.

Last edited: November 30, 2017
    4. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      I'm looking forward to the results.
      Still scratching my head over the whole (what appears to be) reverse polarity thing that we think we are seeing in the schematic. I don't know why this turns out to be such a difficult thing.
      You could probably take out shares in a fuse manufacturer by now.

5. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Edit: I messed around with the 451M module for about 30 minutes and could not get it to function properly. Grabbed two relays out of my electrical stuff bag and wired it like the diagram below. Doors operate perfectly now.
      5wap.gif

Now, the only problem I am having with the alarm is the ignition cut-out function is not working. I think I need to program the alarm to get that to work. I know its wired correctly because when I pull the wires off the alarm box terminals, the Explorer will not turn over.

I went to my buddy Ken's place of work. He has a tough job. He is the facilities manager for Lost Abby Brewery. Ken has a machine shop at the brewery, and a better one at his house, and is a very experienced metalworker. Got a tour, and we attempted to straighten my tie rod. Not going to be able to get it straight this time, too many bends in too many directions. He called a friend of his, who owns a metal supply warehouse. He is sending Ken the tube to make a new tie rod out of much thicker walled stock. I was going to purchase the RuffStuff steering kit, but I think I might have clearance issues with the larger outer diameter kit, so this is better (and free).

Edit: My buddy Ken's buddy sent him a 10' stick of 1-1/4 x 5/8" wall DOM tube to make me a new tie rod. He is going to drill out the ends with his lathe then thread them for the 3/4"x16TPI rod ends. He has enough material to make me a spare tie rod, minus the saddle type drag link mount. If I bend another tie rod, I can cut the saddle off and weld it on the spare. Very cool. Ken trades me work for giving me lots of expensive ales, beers and whisky. I know it sounds strange, but that is the kind of guy he is. I should be able to get up to his place to help him with it, and maybe he can teach me a few things about operating a lathe (probably end up as his beer assistant).

I have been working on getting my headliner out, but the main issue is the mounts for the OEM grab handles. The grab handles came out when the cage went in, but the mounts are under the headliner. They stick up with sharp corners and are preventing me from pulling the headliner out the back over the cage. I am going to try working some thin plastic in between the headliner and the mounts to see if will slide past. Otherwise, I would have to cut the cage out to remove headliner. I have cut it out a few times before, so that is really not that big of a deal, I just need to decide if its worth it to have a new headliner.

Last edited: December 2, 2017
      • Like Like x 1
    6. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Headliner will NOT come out with the cage in place. I have pulled on it to the point I feel it is going to fail in spectacular fashion to no avail. I spent the morning pulling what little of the interior I have installed, and the center console, out. I can't do all this work and leave this above my head, so the cage is getting cut out, again... I have enough room for one more set of sleeves on the A pillar. The rest are fine as the C and D pillars are not sleeved anywhere, and the B pillar is sleeved about mid point.
      20171203_100905.jpg

7. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      Oh man what a PITA. I always wondered if I could get mine out with the cage in place, as it's beginning to delaminate :(

8. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Rick gets me. Most people are thinking, so what rip it out and forget about it. Can't, just can't.

Ten cuts, pull cage back a few feet so it drops down, then remove, recover and reinstall headliner. Ten sleeves, ten welds, ten spots to paint. While I have the cage out, it will be easier to install the A and B pillar plastic.

• Like Like x 3
    9. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Headliners. As shown in the picture, the cloth material is separating from the foam backing. That seems to be the common way these Explorer headliners fail. The donor was the same way. I wish mine would have fallen apart before I ripped the donor headliner in half to get to the wiring, but hindsight is always 20/20.

They are made from layers of cellulose or paper bonded together and are easily damaged. Most of the on-line guides for headliner fabric replacement are for a rigid type headliner with foam backed cloth as a replacement material. The guides say to remove the old foam by scraping it off.

Edit: I cut the cage out in about 15 minutes. That's the easy part.
      20171204_102205.jpg

I got the headliner out in one piece. The fabric pulled off the foam fairly easy, but the foam is what I think is degrading, not the adhesive. I figured out I can rub the foam off with my fingers without damaging the headliner any further. I was thinking of using the scrubber side of a old sponge to get the rest off. I will report back. looks like I need the foam backed fabric after-all.
      20171204_102306.jpg

20171204_103416.jpg

20171204_103426.jpg

The majority of on-line recommendations for adhesive are for 3M 38808. Going out later to look for fabric, adhesive and some aluminum tape. I found this guide thread that I am going to follow. It is the most comprehensive one I have located. It says to use aluminum tape to repair any damage. I am going to use it along the sides to help hold it together.
      Repairing Vehicle Headliner

Last edited: December 4, 2017
    10. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Got more stuff off my "To-Do-List" today. Cut off the top light mounts on the front bumper, notched the engine shock hoop cross-member, cut and prepped 10 sleeves for the cage, and got seven out of ten cage mounting points prepped for re-welding (plug weld holes, shiny metal, get the sleeves to go smoothly into tube, etc.).

Shock hoop cross member notch pic
      20171204_130957.jpg

I cut the tube with a 4.5" cut off wheel, cleaned it up with the angle grinder, cut a piece of flat bar to fit, bent it to fit, then welded it in. I used more wire than needed so I could grind it down smooth without taking away the strength of the weld.

• Like Like x 2
    11. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Ready for reassembly whenever I get finished with the headliner. Having the cage sitting about six inches below the ceiling will makes a good rest for when I reinstall the headliner.
      20171205_084654.jpg

12. Rick

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      Sounds like a productive day. You are getting a lot accomplished:chug:

13. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Its going well. Now that I have stripped the foam off the headliner, I am glad I stopped pulling on it. It has fractures all over. I ended up using a large brass brush I got from Harbor Freight because I wanted the steel brushes in the same kit. It worked very well. I put no downward pressure on it and scrubbed the foam off. Took a few hours, but did not do any more damage to the headliner. Its ready for repair and recovering.
      In progress;
      20171205_105659.jpg

Completed
      20171205_122948.jpg

Fractures in material

20171205_123011.jpg
      20171205_122951.jpg

If the Explorer was just a trail rig, I would have yanked the headliner out in pieces and not replaced it.

14. Rick

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      Now I see what the aluminum foil is for:eek:

15. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      I worked on repairing the headliner today, but mostly I was out shopping for supplies. Also went to the DMV to do a partial application for salvage certificate. All I need now is a brake and light inspection, and have DMV check the VIN. After I get it finished, of course.

Purchased headliner fabric that is much lighter than the stock color. It was really all I could locate in the area that was not gray or black. It should be fine. I worked on repairing the headliner. The aluminum tape doesn't stick very well to the headliner. I ended up going around the entire edge and put a bunch on the back of it where it won't show, and if it comes unstuck, won't ruin the headliner. The tape that was on the front I sprayed with adhesive, which seemed to do the trick. I filled some of the holes in the material I no longer need (grab handle mounts, visor mounts, etc) with little cut-outs of cardboard, then backed it on both sides with the aluminum tape. It should keep the fabric smoother. I also repaired the holes around the dome lights with cardboard and a bunch of tape to make them square again, then I backed the push pin holes with tape on both sides because they are degraded. That is a very large headliner (9' long) so the plan is to cover it in four stages, starting with the rear quarter and working my way forward.

16. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      I did several solo dry runs with the headliner fabric, trying several different ways of application. They all resulted in a mishap. I am going to wait until I have some help because I don't see success without at least two more hands involved. Should be Saturday or Sunday.

I installed the modified shock hoop cross member, fits nicely.
      20171208_101217.jpg

I also mounted the bumper LED light and grill.
      20171208_111220.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    17. RockRanger

RockRanger Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Fresno CA
      86 ranger no more
      Callsign:
      KK6TDL
      Getting close. Glad we will see it back on the road soon.

18. roscoe 0202

roscoe 0202 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      salt lake city utah
      1999 explorer sport
      hope all you guys in ca are avoiding the fires.
      roscoe

19. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Sorry the liner removal was a bust. I was afraid you couldn't get it to drop low enough, to pull it out the back. You seen what I meant about how it cracks.

20. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      It only needed to drop a few inches. When I pulled the cage off the cut tubes, the headliner dropped right on top of the cage and then I could pull it out the back The dropped cage will make a good rest for reinstall. The headliner is cracked, but mostly intact.

21. rpenner54

rpenner54 Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

Media:
      City, State:
      Wichita KS
      98 Merc
      What about a strange repair to it? Use something like mesh tape for drywall with something like that cheapo bedliner in a spray can that they sell at home depot? Together I would think that you could "glue" up the cracks and give the headliner a coating of a rubber like substance that would help it stay together?

22. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      I think that would look awful and make a mess. My interior is going to look pretty good when its finished, so it was worth it to me to recover the headliner. Like I posted earlier, if it was strictly a trail rig, I would have just ripped the cloth that was separating off.

Headliner got recovered tonight with the help of my daughter, her boyfriend and my wife. Did it in three sections. It came out fairly well, except right at the end at the front there is a crease, and it has a few small waves in it. I think the windshield cross member will cover most of the crease. I also think I waited too long after applying the contact cement. The instructions say to wait one minute after spraying both sides to be glued together. I should have started immediately to give us more time to fix any issues. As it was, we had about a second to move it before it was stuck for all eternity.

Its going back in tomorrow, along with the cage. I am going to put large cardboard pieces on top of the cage, then use that as a rest for the headliner to make it easier to install.
      20171210_192843.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    23. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Headliner installed!

Cage welded back in, cleaned up and painted!

Probably not much to do until Wednesday, tomorrow I am busy with other stuff, but will be picking up the front seats from the seat cover lady. Wednesday I am planning on installing the interior for the umpteenth time, the stereo and finishing up the alarm wiring. Getting real close to having it finished.

• Like Like x 1
    24. rpenner54

rpenner54 Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

Media:
      City, State:
      Wichita KS
      98 Merc
      I guess I meant using the mesh tape and bedliner underneath the headliner material where you would never see it. I am glad that you got it though!

25. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Oh, sorry. I noticed that any imperfection in the headliner itself seems to show through the fabric. I figured out when installing the headliner today that the wavy lines are from the cracks in the headliner.

26. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Lake View Terrace, CA
      '91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
      Dam....your almost ready to wheel...better get my stuff together....:confused:

• Like Like x 1