Black interior project | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black interior project

looks nice charlie keep up the good work man

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it looks nice i forgot to tell ya all that i am color blind.

I see black as green and green as black and orange as red and red as orange

ha ha this is neat...i was thinking about taking the rear AC/Radio Vent cowl/bezel off and spray painting it black after primer and then re wrapping my console cover in black leather so the cup holders and console storage would match them i think it would look kinda neat

Looks awesome Charlie!!! I think i'll h ave to do this, I too have the same gray interior,it would look sweet cuz my ex is black!:thumbsup:

Looks great man. I like the doors with the three black parts, but I would stay away from the black carpet.

How's this going Charlie? I'm interested in doing the same black highlighting in my interior. What paint did you use? Any prep? Does it seem like it's going to hold up well and not peel/flake?

I'm in the process of this too. I did the lower door trim on the inside, used Semi-gloss Duplicolor....... it chips easily, maybe I will try a clear coat. On the outside I used Krylon Fusion for the factory grill insert and it works great!! I washed the ex yesterday since I painted the grill and it help up just fine against a pressure washer. I may use the Krylon Fusion and the interior trim but it is a glossy color and may not look that great... I'll see if they have a semi or a flat in the Krylon Fusion line.

Oh and I forgot to mention that I scrubbed the parts using either Simple Green or Grease Lightning.

Hmmm....see I painted my bumper trim with a "bumper flex" paint and prepped it with Bulldog spray. The plastic on the bumper seems very similar to the interior parts, and my bumper trim has held up for 3-4 years with only minor scratching. Maybe I'll try the same combo inside to avoid chipping. I don't want something that's going to look like dog **** in a year.

I just did a few coats to krylon fusions. It seems to be holding up well so far, no signs of chipping/fading. The part of the center console where the seat belt always hits is still looking fine too, so it seems for the most part everything is staying good.

Edit after seeing above post: Good thinking, if I have any problems with it I will probably give that stuff a try.

Are you getting and annoying glare for using the Krylon Fusion on the a/c vents??

Thanks Charlie. Keep us updated on the rest of the painting. :thumbsup:

Got me painting random pieces in my explorer too. My interior is tan so a little different but am painting the same pieces somewhat. Just painted a little of the jack cover in the rear drivers side and plan to do the same when the little cargo slot is. I will take some pics whenever I can find my camera. Pretty easy painting inside you car doing the vents like that? I hate to take the whole console off to paint it.

Nah, wasn't too hard to do the vents. Just taped, prayed, and sprayed. Everything that I could pull out though, I did.

looks good charlie keep up the good work

Looks great Charlie!

Nice work man! I think I might do the whole dash in the ranger. The tan original interior is looking dingy....

Yea looks great dude!! i just finished the majority of mine, i just have to decide what to do with the seats and the carpet... im not hijacking the thread ;), but heres what i did: headliner, door panels, well you guys can figure it out im sure... :D
headliner.jpg

int1.jpg

int2.jpg

and i got lazy in the back so i got some of the carpet i know, but seeing as im a drummer and my subs take up all the room, i disconnected the brackets that hold the rear seats up at angle so they lay flat on the ground, giving me plenty of room for my equipment, and improving the bass greatly, bumps awesome and the rear hatch doesnt rattle any more, plus its only loud on the inside unless i have the windows down
int2subs.jpg

so maybe this will give you guys some ideas on what to or not to do, i had planned on finding some seats or making custom inserts but :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's just too much black for me, but if you like it rock it man.

Back