BLIS error 2014 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BLIS error 2014 Limited

oldkid

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Hello all, yes...this is my first post and I'm sure this has been well covered but yet I feel inclined to ask anyway since I am new to the Ford brand.

I just purchased a used 2014 Limited and every now and then I will get the BLIS error on the dash, but it does reset and work again after a restart of the engine. Is this something that I should just expect and live it, or is worth the money to get the sensor replaced? I would definitely get it replaced if it did not reset.

What should I do and how much can I expect to pay to have this fixed? I am aware than I could simply plug in a new sensor but I don't have ability to install the software for it to work with my vehicle.

Minor problem, yet at times annoying.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
In 7 years of driving BLIS equipped vehicles I have yet to see an error msg on it. What does it say? Have you checked your Manual page 136, BLIS Messages? The Manual also shows where the sensors are located, page 261.
Some members have been successful in clearing certain issues but pulling the negative battery cable for 1o minutes or so. See this thread if planning to do that; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-disconnecting-negative-battery-cable.427676/

Peter

I'm driving along and an error displays on the dash instrument cluster that says "blind spot malfunction", I press "OK" on the steering wheel and the warning goes away but the orange light on the mirror stays lit. I'm just looking for someone who has actually had this problem to know the fix, I will try the battery terminal to reset the CPU, but if anyone else can chime in that would be great.

I'm driving along and an error displays on the dash instrument cluster that says "blind spot malfunction", I press "OK" on the steering wheel and the warning goes away but the orange light on the mirror stays lit. I'm just looking for someone who has actually had this problem to know the fix, I will try the battery terminal to reset the CPU, but if anyone else can chime in that would be great.
Do both mirrors have the BLIS light on or just one? If both or on then it could be that the problem isn't one of the two sensors.

Just the driver's side, but the fact that it comes and goes is weird. If the sensor was bad wouldn't it be on all the time?

Just the driver's side, but the fact that it comes and goes is weird. If the sensor was bad wouldn't it be on all the time?
A bad connection could cause it as could a problem inside the sensor if it is jarred while driving. At least the passenger side isn't affected. I'm not sure how difficult it is to access the actual sensor. Also I don't recall anyone having this exact issue or of anyone doing a DIY replacement.

Peter

Back