• Register Today It's free!

Blown Engine

LCAR2020

Reaction score
City, State
CONNECTICUT
Year, Model & Trim Level
79 XLT
97 Xlt With 94,000 Miles. November 2004 Had Transmission Replaced At Ford Dealership. December 2004 Had To Bring Truck Back In For Electrical Problem. March 2005 Truck "Shuts Off" COMPLETLY While Driving. Will Not Restart. Towed To Ford Dealership. They Cannot Explain Why This Happened, Said They Never Saw It Before, Want $4,000 To Fix....help!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean, they want $4,000 to fix it? What motor is it? What is your mechanical ability level? :D

Not mechanically inclined at all. Completly at the mercy of the dealership. Should this kind of thing happen? It seems as though my truck has fallen apart in the past 4 months. :(

Why are you at the mercy of the dealership? take it somewhere else.
We need $4000 for a new engine, dont know what happened.

What is a "blown" engine? cracked head? Timing chain let go? crankshaft come apart? spin a bearing?

interrigate them with questions and prices. Then post here.

Dealership said crakshaft attached to the transmission broke off. Just had a new trans. 11/04. Could they have misaligned this when installing causing the crankshaft to break?? I have told them that I want to speak with the Ford Rep. for their dealership to find out why my truck is falling apart.

the crankshaft is attached to the transmission via the flexplate through the rear main seal. If the flexplate broke thats pretty common and the part is like $40 with about 8 hours of labor :)

If the crankshaft broke thats a different story

If the transmission is broken then you dont have a blown engine.

Something doesnt add up.......I would like to talk to these dealership guys and ask them some questions :) Almost sounds like they have no idea whats really broken, or something is getting lost in translation

Lcar, what part of CT are you in? If that shaft broke, you would have noticed it. And, to top that off, I cant believe the dealer cant tell you exactly whats wrong. I can advise some good mechanics that wont bump your wallet if you are in the mystic groton new london area. One place is in Lyme.

Keep in mind you can buy a new 97 for around 5-6 grand in some places. Like dude said, get a printout of what needs to get done and let us at it.

Found a friend of a friend who owns a shop in Waterbury. He doubts it's the crank shaft too. He can put in an engine with 30k for $2,000. with warrenty. Dealership is trying to talk me into getting it fixed there, told them I was going to donate it. Will have it towed to the other garage. Thanks for all who helped me, I appreciate it a lot!! :thumbsup:

I may not really have a concept on pulling and installing a new motor time wise but when i pulled the motor out of my old explorer it only took me about 3 hours. A used motor with 33k miles on it shouldn't run you more than 700 dollars. 1300 sounds like alot more than it should be. At 70 bucks an hour it'll take him 18.5 hours to replace the motor? I don't think so....

what dealership in CT is this

Back