for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Blown head gasket.

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by angelawilliams77, August 7, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. angelawilliams77

angelawilliams77 New Member

Year and Model:
      2004 ford explorer

Hello Everyone,

I am a proud owner of a 2004 Ford Xplorer. At this point I am devastated!!I just got my truck inspected and they replaced upper and lower bushings, 2 back light assemblys, i purchased 4 new tires and I had to get new back rotors. I have no complaints about my truck as it is 6 years old. I had a minor leak so I thought, but the cooling levels remained consistenly low for a good amount of time. I put some sealant in it and that seemed to solve the problem, to my suprise I had only put a band aid on a much bigger problem. The same shop that did my inspection also told me I needed to replace my thermal housing inlet unit!! I did that and now to my suprise they are telling me that I need a new engine. I took it for a second opinion and they told me that a head gasket had been blown. My question to you guys is it worth me just repairing the gaskets or should I just replace the whole thing including the engine? Again I haven't had any problems out of my truck and I really want to keep it. How much am I looking to spend? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ragajungle

ragajungle Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Chicago, IL
      Year and Model:
      89 BroncoII & 05 Taurus
      Which motor is it?

How many miles?

Generally a head gasket repair will be cheaper than replacing the entire motor (unless you luck out and find one at the junk yard-don't hold your breath on an 04)

4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2002-2005 section. Connect a cooling system pressure tester on it to see where the coolant is leaking out of. Maybe it's a not coming from the gasket.

5. ragajungle

City, State:
      Chicago, IL
      Year and Model:
      89 BroncoII & 05 Taurus
      Angela, Sorry I forgot that I posted to you about the head gasket issue...So when you PM'ed me I was like duuuuhh what? If the heads are trashed, they are still cheaper than the whole motor.. you might luck out n mfind one in a wreck if you start callin around different JYs.

heres a link for replacements that are super cheap and have a 3yr unlimited mile warrantee:
      http://www.everdrive.com/Ads/AdParts.aspx?YearID=2004&make=Ford&Model=EXPLORER&modelnum=0400&partcode=AB&parttype=Cylinder%20Head

I hope this helps!

6. angelawilliams77

angelawilliams77 New Member

Year and Model:
      2004 ford explorer
      thanks alot i really appreciate your help!!!

7. ragajungle

City, State:
      Chicago, IL
      Year and Model:
      89 BroncoII & 05 Taurus
      Actually I just found the link today poking around and FREE Shipping and 3 yr unlimited mile warrantee is golden!