Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Blue's 91 XLT

Discussion in 'Explorer Registry' started by Blue91Ex, February 21, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      91 XLT
      got new offroad lights rigged up on the brush guard, pics tomorow hopefully.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. DjDom

DjDom Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Toronto, Ontario
      97 XL(imited)
      Ew, no.

jk, ily.

4. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      just felt like posting a couple recent pics, got cb wired up mostly, got my lights on, rims on, and a 12v power outlet splitter wired up.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

5. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      i have to repaint the brush guard next spring, the ONE time i didnt use primer and the paint of course does not stick well. oh well, i like painting stuff anyway :p still working on roof basket in shop class so that will be a nice addition to the truck.'

ps. those jeep rims do rub in front at full lock, i think the backspacing is like 1/2" off, just in case anyone considered getting some. they work okay but it gets annoying with the minor rub, im planning to get sme gloss black crager soft 8 15 or 16" rims. these jeep rims are also a bit rusted inside so one leaks verrryy slowly, like 5psi/month.

Last edited: January 16, 2014
    6. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      found a bug guard for 6 bucks at local junk yard.
      [​IMG]

also im about 80% finished the new roof rack cross bars and basket. next project after this is a hitch mounted swing down tire carrier.

damn look at all that stupid calcium and dirt... car washes need to be cheaper...

oh and also i got stuck up on a woods trail the other day and apparently the truck doesnt go into 4 low anymore.. not sure why but that i guess will come after i fix the exhaust trans alignment and get the load adjusting rear shocks. (need new shocks for inspection anyway might as well get good ones that will fix the rear end sag and also hold up the extra wieght from having the swing down tire carrier i plan to build after the roof basket is done.)

Last edited: January 31, 2014
    7. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      small update & lift plans

i got bored and figured i would go take some pics of the recently wired aux power outlets and CB, the polugs i got from walmart and seem to work well, but the plastic i screwed them to bends a bit when you try to pull a charger out, i mainly got these for ease of install when i get the blue under-dash lights i have been looking at, also the stock lighter is at an angle where some chargers dont fit well.
      the CB mount is custom (not very pretty but it works well) I cut it out of some sheet metal i had been using last gfall for rocker panel work, its galvanized, just two screws going into the black part of the cupholder which i got from the junkyard, it holds in place very well, i was going to use bolts to attach the cb to it, but i didnt know what kind to use and zip ties are cheap and plentiful haha. the antenna is just a cheapy walmart one that i plan to replace at some point.

outlets:
      [​IMG]

CB: (6 bucks at a yard sale, some sections of the channel display dont work) (ogh and ignore the ugly wires going all over the place, at some point i will run them under the carpet)
      [​IMG]

CB mount: when its warmer oyut ill pop this out and paint it black so it is less noticable.
      [​IMG]

oh and also, i may have mentioned before but hopefully soon (after inspection, before alignment) i will be building a 2" lift kit for the truck, 2" spacers in front WITH 2" axle pivot drop brackets to make it more alignable, (and have less wear on u joint etc) and i am still looking into longer radius arms for some flex. also new oem coil springs are cheap so those will go on the list as well.

rear end will hopefully be f150 leafs and i still need to figure out if i can get longer load adjust shocks for the lift, i dont want to destroy them by overstretching them while driving. also after this i might look into rear swaybar quick disconnects.

Last edited: February 18, 2014
    8. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      got permission to build a lift kit!

this post was discussing lift plans that have changed since, was going to do a full fabricated 2" lift but i have decided instead to go with a 1.5" lift from what i have now, half inch in front from new coil springs (stock size) with RA bushings as spacers for 1" more, war.153 type shackles in back to fix the sag, then monroe load adjusts for another inch-1.5". this all should be enough for 31" tires with no rubbing or at least very little.

Last edited: March 18, 2014
    9. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      this portion o fthe post has been removed as i decided against the idea.

edit: update, roof rack is finished, might post a new thread on it so that it could be easier to find. wont have any pics till at least monday and maybe tuesday, since it is at school and i wont be able to take the truck over there until then.

Last edited: March 18, 2014
    10. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      i got bored and decided to finally see the flex i have stock. :D

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

i would have been able to get farther up but the snowbank kept collapsing under the tire... oh well it was still fun :p
      it deffinitely makes the tires look small though, guess imma have to hurry up with the 31's lol. and i got to finally see ust how much flex i can get stock right now, i doubt it would go more than another 2 inches even if the snowbank hadnt collapsed. ...really makes my tires look small tho...lol

Last edited: March 14, 2014
    11. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      roof rack!

Finally got it installed today and took some pic with my cappy digital camera. please excuse the dirt. :D

[​IMG]
      [​IMG][​IMG]
      [​IMG]'
      [​IMG]

big thanks to [MENTION=62]Maniak[/MENTION], who helped me with figuring out the mounting setup to use the factory roof rails, was very helpful in explaining to me how they worked and what he used on his rack, so thanks Maniak!

the kind of rough paint on it is because i did the first coats of primer and paint with brush on enamel, since its what we had at the shop, and the crap brushes i had were terrible, but oh well at least its thick paint and it looks good to me anyway. sturdy as hell too which is nice.

i made a little (large) mistake when i cut the pieces for the top horizontal pieces (top edge) and made the top about an inch-1.5" narrower than the bottom so i used it to make the sides taper in some, i think it looks even better that way and it might help hold things in better so im all good with it.

tell me what u guys think!

Last edited: March 17, 2014
    12. DjDom

DjDom Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Toronto, Ontario
      97 XL(imited)
      Looks awesome Eli. [MENTION=224643]Blue91Ex[/MENTION] , I'm jealous now.

13. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      shackles next for my truck, 1.5" longer than stock to go along with the monroe load adjust shocks im saving up for. sorry dom my shop teacher wouldnt let me build a second set, he doesnt like us giving away or selling what we build in class and he doesnt even really like that i am doing my own shackles haha. then after that i will get the RA bushings for coil spacers in front to even it back out some and i will be set for the tire carrier if i have enough time left in the school year to build it.

14. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      i asked my shop teacher again about the shackles dom, he said no, also we dont have enough material as the only plate i foudn that would work (some beefy stuff, thicker than what warrior uses) is only enough for one set, and that is barely. plan to start building them tomorow, shouldnt take too long to build them and then i can start on the tire carrier after that.

15. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      got some lights and a home made window sticker :p

i already posted the light pics on my roof rack thread that i made so people could find the basket and stuff easier since i had to dig a bit to find ideas for mine before i built it, never too many offroad fab threads though right?

light pics:
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: March 2, 2015
    16. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
    17. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      washed, removed bumper plastic, got a 130amp alternator at JY, not installed yet.
      [​IMG]

edit: oh hey 3rd page lol

Last edited: April 21, 2014
    18. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Leaf spring shackles are finished but i cant seem to find any 14mm bolts for them yet, need to go to a leaf spring shop in town but its like an hour and a half drive each way so it may be a while. also threw the summer tires back on so hopefully that will help my absolutely terrible gas mileage a little bit.

19. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      How do ya like these puppies!
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      wow this camera makes those things BRIGHT they arent that bad but deff noticable, still havent found the right 14mm bolts for them yet tho.
      the welds arent the prettiest but deffinitely strong.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    20. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      went up on some logging trails today and did a little offroading, didnt get any goo pics of the actual rough trail i went on but there was plenty of spots that were tricky for a stock ex. anyways pics!

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      one of my favorites:
      [​IMG]

ignore the missing grille, i took it off to help with my next build project.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
    21. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      [​IMG]
      most of the parts built for next project to be assembled.

22. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      So, i got some new stuff:
      [​IMG]
      i have waited and waited for months for my one local junkyard to get a truck with those tow hooks, finally i found them when i went to go get a new hood latch assembly (which ti turned out i didnt need) so i got the hooks and hardare. the 130amp alternatore i got on the last trip, still havent installed it though.

23. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      new grille, brush guard repainted

I have a thread for the grille already but i figured this should go in my registry too.
      i repainted my brush guard that i did a poor job painting the first time and it was getting a lot of surface rust.
      grille is all custom, all my own design, unlike usual my school shop teacher didnt decide to frig around with my designs any like he usually does haha. I think it came out really good.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

double curve/convex shape is not easy with expanded steel, i was very happy when it came out as well as it did.
      [​IMG]

24. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      new headlight guards modified from a toyota brush guard
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

25. Blue91Ex