Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Blue's 91 XLT

Discussion in 'Explorer Registry' started by Blue91Ex, February 21, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      91 XLT
      got the subs installed today, spent 60 bucks on wiring and it was worth the 4 hours it took to wire everything up (sounds like a lot but there was a lot of figuring to roiute the wires since i cant get to half the interior (rear driver door stuck closed, from inside or out) but it came out pretty well i think.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

i can still fit the lawn mower in back too which was nessisary since i mow a few lawns and need to be able to transport it.
      oh and please ignore the messy carpet, lawnmower leaves a lot of grass clippings on it and its difficult to get out of the carpet because our vaccume cleaner doesn't suck lol.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      new parts came in, hoping to put them in next weekend (unfortunately im working all this weekend so they have to wait.
      [​IMG]
      also going to put in my new old-but-unused brake pads in front since im going to have to take the brakes apart anyway to get to the spindle seals and ball joints. Also putting in those new stock size variable rate coil springs.

4. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      took some pics in town today, did a little light wheeling, etc etc lol
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

needs a bath...
      [​IMG]

5. 4DoorFord

4DoorFord Active Member

City, State:
      Chicago, IL
      2000 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD
      Awesome progress!

6. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Hey, thanks! I don't get many replies on here so it's nice to get one (especially that's positive) It's nice to know people notice it at least. Though the fun part of the build is yet to come, once i get the welder this fall and gas for my dad's torch i plan to start working on fabbing up all the needed drop brackets and radius arms and such to lift the front 2-2.5" and get an add-a-leaf and bolts for the shackles. A guy at work might be selling me a set of decent 32" tires, though they are a bit wider than i wanted and 2 don't have much tread left. its a start though!

7. yostyexplorer94

yostyexplorer94 1st Gen Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Newburg, PA
      1994 Explorer
      Callsign:
      yosty
    8. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Thanks! I really like it too, i plan to modify it a little bit eventually though to make it blend a little better with the headlight bezels.

9. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      so a little update, got ball joints and spindle seals changed on the passenger side (didnt have time for driver side) so the alignment is better (not perfect yet, im thinking the coils will fix it) and mo more pop sounds going over bumps, the lower ball joint was BAD, just rust inside. doing driver side sometime this week and putting new front brake pads on both sides.

painted coil springs the same blue i painted the shackles just because.

also my big achievment today, finally got the leaf springs off of the 87 f150 at my house that i have wanted for months, took all day, that junk is RUSTED. no air tools so lots of PB Blaster and propane torch and double wrenching, i basically unbolted the U bolts the same way you row a boat, worked good i guess. those will be cleaned up and repainted and wait until i get the coil springs in to install them on the explorer, should match the front hight plus half an inch. it should be pretty noticable and a good improvement so im very exited for it. sorry i dotn have any pics so this isnt a particularly exiting post haha, pics tomorow after i clean them up probably.

10. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      okay so now both sides up front have new ball joints, spindle hub seals, and brake pads, the driver side has a new wheel seal which was not working and letting water into the wheel bearings and rotor. repacked all bearings with new grease, repacked balljoints and tierod ends with grease, next maintenance repair is probably all new rear drum brakes, shoes, and outer drums, woo. lol

still working on cleaning the leaf springs up a bit but they shoudl go in with the new front coils before too long.

11. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      FINALLY an update that that is actually going along with my original plans somewhat! lol
      so i finally installed my rear leaf spring shackles, as well as those coil springs i bought, and over all im very happy with the setup. over all front and back i only netted about 3/4 of an inch, but the difference is pretty noticable at least to me, and the ride and handling is way better. pics
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tell me what you think!

12. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
    13. ixiz0

ixiz0 New Member

City, State:
      Fort Smith, Arkansas
      1994 Ford Explorer XLT
      Nice truck. Enjoying the progress. I think maybe I should start to document mine. I have a 1994 Explorer. It's that red/burgandy color. Unfortunately it's 2WD. I know people here have ridiculed other people who have lifted their 2WD trucks, but I still think I'm going to lift it 2-3". My truck is all stock, but I just picked up some nice Jeep wheels with some 30x9.5x15 tires mounted on them.

14. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Thanks! and i dont see any problem with lifting a 2wd truck. They still work pretty well offroad, i only used 4wd like 4 times last inter and most were because i had to drive thru a ditch when a trailer truck got stuck in the middle of the road (dont worry i did offer to help before he told me to go around) and i also have done some mild offroading without needing 4wd. if you use the jeep wheels like what i have the will rub, especially if you have slightly oversized tires. i have stock 235 which is about a 28-19" and before i added the coil springs and shackles they rubbed with teh jeepo rims because the backspacing isnt quite right. your truck is a 2wd so it will sit lower than my stock 4wd anyway, so i wouldnt be surprized if you ran into soem issues. good luck with the build though, if you change the wheels to something else it would work just fine.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Finally have an update. So my driver side rocker was toast, I didn't have the money for a factory shaped panel piece, especially since I would also have to buy the dogleg and still make pieces for the back side. So, there was 14ga plate laying around so this is what i came up with:
      [​IMG]

This is a work in progress, I don't have much free time to work on it so it is only partially welded on, and I haven't done any of the grinding or body filler work. At least its on and keeping at least some of the salt and crap out of the upper parts of the rocker now.

I also put on my winter rims and tires, the Jeep wheels from last winter, the salt was not kind to them, and the ones pictured are the better of the four.

16. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Also noteworthy today:
      More brush guard lights (free, haven't wired them yet)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also mounted my Hi-Lift jack

[​IMG]

Two U bolts (one round one square) hold it to the roof rack and I used a 2" exhaust clamp to hold the jack handle down so it wouldn't move while driving.

edit: Also noteworthy: I repainted the hood, just a few layers of rattle can clearcoat but it looks much better even with the overspray streaks that I couldn't seem to avoid. You can see it in the first pic on this reply/post.

Last edited: November 17, 2014
    17. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      I really like the look of that grille!! Keep up the good work!

18. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Haha thanks! Everyone seems to like the grill the best out of the mods I've done on the truck! I really like it too but unfortunately the brush guard and stuff kind of block it, but I like the guard and it's nice to have the deer-protection haha. I even had a guy at the tire shop comment on the grill a while back. I like those comments better than "cool jeep" that I get sometimes haha.
      [MENTION=127721]5spdman[/MENTION] Thanks for replying! I have been reading the thread on your 91 but haven't commented on it, it looks like you've been making progress on it and its a very interesting read, keep up the good work!

19. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      You'll just have to upgrade your bumper sometime to be your deer protection....I'll need some myself when I make the move back to Ohio, but that's a little while off.

And thanks btw! I've been doing as much as I can here and there with what limited amount of money I have, but I think it's pretty good myself...plans for your next project?

20. Camacorn

Camacorn B

City, State:
      Inverness, Florida
      1997 Mountaineer 5.0 H.O.
      That's kind of funny what you did with your cup holders. Mine came with the newer one you have now, but it was green like my interior, and I used bed liner to make it black and stand out. But recently I took it out and found a 1st gen explorer with this cup holder, but it was gray so I bedlinered it too, I like it because the cups are now side to side, and it has two useful cubbies.

It slides right into the space the old one goes into, without modification. Our consoles already have the screw holes too:

[​IMG]

21. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Yea I am sort of in the same boat as you. Unfortunately, my truck is not happy lately. I'm seriously considering buying something else, as much as I love this thing. It needs tons of body work, the engine leaks, trans is still bad, needs tie rod parts, radius arm bushings, rear shocks, the power steering leaks, rear diff leaks, trans pan leaks, brakes need to be rebuilt completely in the rear, and my gas mileage has dropped into the low 14's... It is just getting too hard to maintain (most of the mods I do for fun are also for free, other stuff isn't...)

So, I got a new job, hoping that I'll be able to put about 80-100 dollars a week into savings for a few months and head south somewhere to buy another 1st gen with no rust in good shape. That way I can swap all my stuff over and have spare parts.

On the other hand, I have been wanting something a little different just for change of pace, so I might look into rangers or an expedition, and just keep the explorer for offroading and stuff.. not sure, hard decision either way I go. Maybe if I find one cheap i might even get a 01-03 sport or sport trac or something..

The next project with this ex though is radius arm bushings (already purchased, need to install) and tie rod ends.. need to make sure something important doesn't break in the mean time...

Sorry that was sort of long and probably more than you cared to read but thanks for doing so if you did.

(tl;dr - truck is not happy and I will need another at some point.)

22. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT

See I had the option of getting either when I went to the junkyard for mine, and I picked this one because each cupholder was a different size, allowing a wider range of drinks in it, mugs, travel mugs, huge gas station sodas, 1L sodas, reg soda bottles, everything fits in one or the other. Works pretty good.

23. Camacorn

Camacorn B

City, State:
      Inverness, Florida
      1997 Mountaineer 5.0 H.O.
      I've never tried anything larger than a 56oz Double Big Gulp from 7-11, but I can't really imagine why you would need anything bigger, both of the cup holders hold it perfectly fine from my experience :p It all boils down to preference though.

24. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      Make sure you soak those studs for the RA's really good...tried once leaving the arms on and pulling the beam forward and that was such a pain in the butt; just easier to remove the entire arm, but i also once had the nut come loose from the beam....had to stick a mig welder in there and blindly weld it enough to hold for me to get the bolt out.

25. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Yea, I had the issue of the RAs restricting travel when I swapped out the coil springs, it was rediculous. I had my uncle stand on the brake rotor to pull the axle down as much as possible, stuff a wood blcok in between the frame and RA, and use a huge crowbar to get the coils in and out.

When I replace the RA bushings I will probably cut the rivets to the cross-member and just take off the rear bushings. Then use bolts to re-attach the crossmember to the frame.

26. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      That's another option....makes it easier to install drop brackets later too! :D