Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Blue's 91 XLT

Discussion in 'Explorer Registry' started by Blue91Ex, February 21, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. EMBRACETHEHATE89

EMBRACETHEHATE89 Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      93 Limited 4x4 Explorer
      Eh i guess.....i can bend conduit easily. I cant square tubing. Just my OCD thing.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Oh I'm not talking the square tubing. I wouldn't use conduit for the crossbars, just the basket. I meant, the 1/2" hardened flat can easily be bent, like conduit, so weight load probably isn't all that different depending on design, just the hardened springs back (unless you reallybend it)

Also a drawback to what I used is that it really doesn't look as good in my opinion, at a distance the 1/2" can barely be seen so it doesnt have that rugged look of a tube or conduit roof basket unless you have something in or on it (ie: tire and lights)

4. EMBRACETHEHATE89

EMBRACETHEHATE89 Active Member

93 Limited 4x4 Explorer
      Try ripping flat stock.

5. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      That is a good point. Especially 3/16" thick flat stock. Also much easier to weld without worrying about blowthrough. But also a decent bit heavier (maybe not hardened steel, the basket on mine is very light but crossbars are much heavier), and I think conduit and tube baskets look better.

In the end, everything has its benefits and drawbacks. Mine works find for what I need it for (could have been wider but what ya gunna do) and other people don't need anything more than a storebought or conduit basket.

6. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      You guys remember those rust holes, well I fixed them for now, good enough to pass state inspection, but they don't look super pretty. If it works it works I guess. Unfortunately I can't find my camera at the moment and my mom's new camera saves in these weird files I can't open on my computer so pics won't be coming until I find my camera. Plan to try and get the truck inspected on maybe Wednesday or something.

7. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Explorer is going to be getting new Radius Arm crossmember halves and new bushings this weekend! should make a huge difference in how the truck rides and handles

8. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      New Radius arm crossmembers are in! The truck feels a bit tighter and is much quieter over bumps, made a huge difference. I did kind of mess up with aligning the new crossmember on the driver side so I have a bit of a pull to the left but I should be able to fix it by loosening the bolts and pushing the cross member forward with a hammer.Then saturday I hope to put in new upper ball joints and do an alignment on the truck to fix the pull and tire wear issues.

9. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      New alternator (mine crapped out) and finally removed the resonator on my exhaust and aligned the truck, didnt end up needing ball joints just needed to adjust the cams on the uppers and retighten the pinch bolts. saturday I will probably be grinding and painting the frame rails in prep for winter. Might do a little body work too if i have time.

10. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      So this project will go on apparently. not right off, but soon. I was recently given another vehicle by a friend. Its a 96 jeep grand cherokee that needs a lot less work than the explorer or my ranger. So, the plan is to get that thing ready for the road this weekend, and park the explorer for a while. This is a good thing because that means I can start investing my free time in the explorer while I drive the jeep, allowing me to take more time to fix it and do it right. It is a big project but now that I won't have to worry about making it to work the next day if I bite off more than i can chew in a weekend, I can take my time and bring the explorer back to respectible shape, and it won't have to suffer through another winter, which would almost surely kill it (rust wise anyway). Here is some pictures because I know everyone likes those.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Yes I towed it with the explorer, out of the woods and down the road, needed 4x4 to get it out of the woods in the mud, and it actually towed pretty well seeing how I did not have my brake controller hooked up and the tongue was a larger size than the tow ball I had (very unsafe I know but it was all we had and only had like 5 miles to go, safety chains were on) but it did cough and sputter a little when i started it up afterwards.. came out of it though.

[​IMG]

11. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Well I'm back to working on the Explorer. The jeep turned out to be a little more of a project than I expected, as usual, but it still doesn't need much more work, so I'll fix it a bit more and sell it. The explorer has been getting all sorts of new parts lately though. I replaced the front swaybar bushings, axle pivot bushings, diff fluid in both axles, rear drums (full rebuild other than wheel cylinder) and rear driveshaft U-joints. This week I am trying to fix as much of the rust as possible. I already rebuilt the bottom of one of the fenders, and I'm midway through the driver side rocker panel and B pillar. Still have more work to do on the rocker and also the rocker panel on the passenger side, rear floor braces, and passenger quarter panel.

[​IMG]

This is just test fitting, Nothing is welded yet. I also finally got the pillar somewhat straightened out so my doors fit properly.
      [​IMG]

Fender post metalwork:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

My ramps sunk a bit in the mud..
      [​IMG]

more to come when the weather cooperates..

12. mr cribb

mr cribb US Army Retired Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Harviell, MO
      94 Z71,
      I don't think I would have admitted the tow ball part. Good thing Lady Luck was on your side.

13. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      We didnt realize it until after we arrived at the destination, weren't sure what the issue was until we re-checked it after..

14. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Well I finished the rocker panel. I had the shop at work for a few hours (I work in a body shop at a local Ford dealership, though I do a nicer job on the dealership cars than i do on my own since I'm not rushed as much) so I sanded down the paint I put on a couple areas I couldn't finish and started to do up the metalwork and finish the panel.

One of the areas I didn't quite get to before, though I Ran out of time again so I wasn't able to take the door off to really smooth down the welds (Yes I did wel;d the whole edge)
      [​IMG]

More sanding and body filler
      [​IMG]

Primered up
      [​IMG]

And finished product, the wavyness at the bottom of the pillar is due mostly to me rushing (I had to be out by noon) and using a flap disk and grinder to sand that area of body filler.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

And Yes, I do have the door panel, I'm waiting to put it on until I can get a new plastic cap/handle for the lock pin, It broke off before I had the door and got jammed on the inside of the old panel which in turn broke my inner handle and made the door useless. I will be replacing the panel with the old blue one off the original door.
      [​IMG]

And an over all photo, ignore the door paint, rushing is the enemy of good body work. (and It got very dusty over the week) It will get sanded down and repainted soon, Though I'm not too worried about it, seeing that the whole truck will be repainted once I finish the other body work, and that part of the doors will be black truck bed-liner.
      [​IMG]

15. mr cribb

mr cribb US Army Retired Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Harviell, MO
      94 Z71,
      If you get a chance bedliner the under body too, I did that to my Z71 because I had perfect rockers on a 22 year old truck.

16. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      That is the plan. As much as i can get at, but that will be down the road, as I repair more and more of the rust, those areas will be cleaned up and bedlinered as I go. as will the outside of the body below the bodyline/plastic shopping cart bumper

17. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      So this weekend I got a little bit accomplished, I bought new rear lock knobs so I could put my door panel back on without breaking my interior handle again (last time the broken knob got stuck on the inside of the panel and I broke the handle trying to unlock the door)

[​IMG]

I also FINALLY added front tow hooks, though I ended up finding a set of non-cast, steel f150 hooks rather than my cast iron expedition hooks, as they couldn't be welded to my frame and it wasn't really possible to bolt hooks on without making special brackets, so, I welded these ones on and they should be very rugged

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

doesn't look half bad and should be more than enough to pull myself and others out of ditches/mud/snowbanks/whatever

random shots because everyone likes pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      Lookin good! I like those tow points!

19. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Thanks! I got more body work coming up before too long hopefully, id like to get the passenger side rocker panel fixed up and maybe start on the front radiator support rust. that should be pretty quick, and after i can start on the rear floor supports

20. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Passenger side rocker panel repairs will be starting this weekend hopefully

21. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Also, say i found a 92-94 explorer with a good transmission, would it be a direct swap to replace the one in my 91? i know a lot of stuff changed a bit between 91 and 92/3...

22. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      Trans will be the same, other parts not...I know the manuals, the slave cylinders and clutch master are different from 91/92-93/94...

23. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Some progress on passenger side rocker panel last week, plus a little frame repair Friday and this weekend I am working on a special project I will post about when its finished tomorow hopefully.
      Ill post pictures from my laptop maybe since it is a pain to upload them from my phone onto the image host I use.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      You need to stop by the chatroom. Haven't seen you in ages ;)

25. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      I do rick just dont have as much free time anymore, like i have free time, it just gets taken up by everything else. also every time i log on chat, its empty..

anyhow, I finally have my bumper pictures on my laptop so Ill put a few pictures up here and make a more in depth post on the bumphttp://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/blues-91-xlt.380065/page-6#post-3548080er over in offroad fabrication subforum. I also got the passenger rocker panel on and partially attached, but i dont have pictures of it, you guys know what they look like..

anyhow. frame repairs
      Rear driver side had holes in it behind the shackle so i patched that with some 3/16" plate that i predrilled for the bumper that i was planning to build on the following weekend.
      [​IMG]

bumper removal
      [​IMG]

patch piece before drilling
      [​IMG]

decided to weld it to the outside for batter access to it for welding. bumper brackets go on the inside of the rail.
      [​IMG]
      don't have pictures of the frame afterwards.

bumper brackets, 1/4" steel
      [​IMG]

bumper starts as 1/4"x6"x6' channel iron
      [​IMG]

Cutting and bendning ended friday afternoons work.
      [​IMG]

26. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Then a whole bunch of odd angle cutting to fit the shape of the truck and allow me to plate the top and ends to fill in the shape
      of the bumper.
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that was the end of saturday, sunday i added a few more pieces of 14ga plate to the bottom sides (to match the quarter panel trim) and the top (to fill the gaps below the hatch)
      and here is the finished product

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then one random picture from saturday just because why not
      [​IMG]

Hope you guys like it! I think it came out really good for my first actual bumper build and it still has more to come, tabs for D ring tow points, another plate light, and probably bracing in behind it to help stiffen the reciever hitch and brackets.

• Like Like x 1