Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Blue's 91 XLT

Discussion in 'Explorer Registry' started by Blue91Ex, February 21, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      91 XLT
      Truck got new front wheel bearings, brake rotors, lug nuts and hub hardware this past week, I took a couple pictures but they are nothing special. just regular replacement parts. planning to fix some more of the rust soon and hopefully find a parts vehicle with a good m5od and 4.0 engine. never got my trans fixed and the engine is worn out. ticks pretty loud and i can hear some light knock-ish sound on cold starts until the oil has had a chance to circulate around in the engine..

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      So i am working on another project while driving the explorer since it has proven to be a reliable daily even with the transmission issues. I bought this a month or so ago for 100$ (yes two zeros). it is a 94 f250 2wd 4 spd automatic with 109k miles and a utility body and cap.
      I have been using most of my resources to get this truck road ready lately, and having a separate registry may not be the best on here because its not an f-series forum. (I haven't found any of them i like) but here are some progress pictures.
      [​IMG]
      First stages of restoration. new oil change, filter, spark plugs, wires, coolant, brake fluid, and cleaning ( mostly consisting of vacuuming the floor and inside of the utility body out of it)

[​IMG]
      flintstones edition floor pan.

[​IMG]
      all fixed. now has a layer of brush on truck bed liner (needs another coat though)

[​IMG]
      Cap off. cap is aluminum and in great shape. I have two newer front tires and front fenders ready to go on
      [​IMG]
      body is getting an entire new floor and cross braces (already have the sheet of 3/16 diamond plate and 2 of 3-4 of the 1 3/4" sign posts i need)

[​IMG]
      no holes in the frame! rock solid for not getting washed in like 3 years but driven daily around the college campus it came from

[​IMG]
      Needle scaled, wire wheeled, primed and painted with a nice coat of gloss oil based rustolium. body is next on the list after a little paint touch up.

I have fenders, tires, and some of the material for the body ready to go. Hoping to get the body back on before its too cold. I do still plan to keep the explorer on the road as well for snow storms (2wd with open diff on the 250 isnt ideal for me) and even if i have to take it off the road for a while it isn't going the way of my ranger. (that by the way is going to turn into a woods buggy soon if i don't do something with it)

Let me know what you guys think!

• Like Like x 1
    4. mr cribb

mr cribb US Army Retired Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Harviell, MO
      94 Z71,
      Nice. Rust sucks, and y'all up there got lots of it.

5. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      Where do you find the time!? I always enjoy seeing your progress on all your projects...nice job!

6. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Finding the time certainly isn't easy. As of late i take advantage of evenings when the maintenance garage isnt being used (I work at the college I'm attending and my boss said I could use the shop as long as I cleaned up after myself and kept everything out of the way) so I can usually squeeze in a couple evenings a week and a weekend on occasion.. and Mr. Cribb, rust does suck and I have had my share of battles with it (between my vehicles, my parents vehicles, friends, previously working in a body shop primarily doing rust repair, etc etc) So I am used to it and don't see it as so much of a mountain to climb anymore. It is more time consuming than anything.

I will have more updates on the new truck as well as my explorer, should I work on it any in the near future, so Any of you guys that are interested in my projects will see more of them before too long.

7. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      utility body floor on the 250 is all done basically, at least the underside is. just have a bunch of small spots that need some body work now. along with a list of other junk that needs to get fixed like front tires and fenders and interior etc.

8. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Making progress, utility body is getting close to "done" (passes inspection) and I started on a new front bumper a well as a bunch of other little stuff.
      You can see i have one of the box doors off in this picture, as well as the paint color that will be on the whole truck, plus the "new" front tires. The bumper is just tacked together, when i get the tubing i need for the internal tow hitch, I will take it all apart and make a few adjustments to the plate before welding them all back together.
      [​IMG]

9. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Making progress on the explorer's predecessor. bunch of body work and some exhaust work. The bumper isnt going to stay just a tow hitch, that is the structure for the bumper from my last post, but as i am rushing to get the f250 on the road, due to the explorer's registration and sticker running out this month, i had to throw it on there temporarily.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    10. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      I havent been on in a while, truck came along good, still isnt done, probably never will be, but its all road legal and driving.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    11. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      That would be a sweet rig for a slide in camper :D

12. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Update on the truck, mostly just winter prep. repaired the bed cap which decided it wanted to become a tumble weed last spring, put that on, got some good used tires for winter. (not the right size but close enough) and got a bit more paint taken care of. still need to oil the underside and install a reciever hitch before winter, as well as sort out a couple electrical problems.
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a couple pics from this summer because who doesnt like pictures.
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(ranger is gone yay..)
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    13. Blue91Ex

Blue91Ex Active Member

City, State:
      Maine
      91 XLT
      Truck bumper got some adjustments recently. still debating whether i should make a registry for it but i wouldnt know where to put it and explorerforum may not even be the right site for it..
      anyways metal fab is metal fab whether its on a 1/4 ton or a 3/4 ton so here ya go.

The temporary:
      [​IMG]

Starting the brush guard:
      [​IMG]

Test fitting with the 3/16" side plates (cut out with grinder) and after rewelding a couple weak seams from the original construction:
      [​IMG]

Some trim to fill the gap under the fender and trim as well as around the side plates to make the brush guard stronger and beefier looking:
      [​IMG]

Some "final" product picrtures, still needs a set of headlight guards but those will wait.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

There was a lot more work put into rebuilding this than might be obvious, i fixes the weak welds, finished the areas i didnt finish when i built the bumper before, built the guard, and used silicone caulking to seal up all the seams, pits, and gaps on the back side, to prevent rust. Then even used a couple thjin coats of body filler to smooth out the surfaces of the metal, which was originally very well used metal work benches, and had lots of surface imperfection, as well as some areas that i got a bit aggressive with the grinder originally, then i scraped off the truck bed liner from before and repainted everything.
      The headlight guards will bolt on and wrap around the front of the headlights and connect to the rearmost parts of the bumper to help stiffen and strenthen it, even with its overall "thin" material.
      I think it came out really good, let me know what you guys think!

• Like Like x 4
    14. HSlough

HSlough Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Roanoke VA
      1993 four door
      I have that one in my 93 and if you have to break hard cups will fall right out. At least anything bigger than a small McDonald's cup

Last edited: March 8, 2018