BODY MODS (old skool style) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BODY MODS (old skool style)

Here's my '97 Explorer 2wd 5-spd when I bought it
EXBEFORE.jpg

This the way she looked after the first round of mods
100_0221-1.jpg

And now is under construction (heavily influinced by the likes of Gearge Barris, Ed Roth, Bill Hines etc.) with some old skool body mods.

With the help of a '94 Explorer Sport as a parts truck
EXparts.jpg

I am building 'The One Ford Never Built' So here we go
100_0567.jpg

100_0658.jpg

100_0672.jpg

100_0681.jpg

100_0726.jpg

100_0727.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

100_0734.jpg

100_0735.jpg

100_1353.jpg

Shaved rocker mouldings
100_1369.jpg

More to come as I move on to the next area.

Also please keep in mind that I have 18+yrs in the AutoBody/Collision trade under my belt and that not all steps are shown in these pics.

So DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS, I'M A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL (and my sanity is still up for debate)

Holy crap! That is awesome sir. Definitely look forward to seeing this progress. :D

now THIS is something worth subscribing to! i always wanted to do this, but i know i wouldnt have the time to.

i always wanted to do this, but i know i wouldnt have the time to.

Time has been an issue with me too, it's been 15yrs in the making (of coarse at first I wanted to build a sedan delivery out of a mid-90s Sable Wagon) then when I finally got a chance to do it I had the EX in the driveway just cryin' to become a panel truck.

Then after diveing headfirst into this, life happened, I lost my job (which accually gave me all kinds of time to do the driver's side) but then had to take a job driving a truck that kept me from working on it for a year and a half. Now back to working an hourly job (still driveing truck so no access to the really cool toys of the trade) and am able to make progress again.

I'm subscribed too. :)

Looking good so far!

I've got the front bumper relocated up 1" (to get rid of the factory plastic bumper pad) and back 2 1/2", and my '51 F1 Grille surround fabed up.
Built the lower filler panel from scratch
001.jpg

i like. click on the roll pan i made (in my sig below) that would be a cake walk for you to make and slap on your truck.

Very interesting. Subscribing.........................:popcorn:

i like. click on the roll pan i made (in my sig below) that would be a cake walk for you to make and slap on your truck.

Ya, I've read that thread. What I have planned for the rear is somewhat simular but will be keeping the step-in for the licence plate (without the step it self) and will be still sticking out about an inch or two (like the front).
The whole idea was inspired by yours tho, so thank you.

Just got one side of the roof rack shaved and did away with that FUGLY roof seam
026.jpg

love this thread but i gotta ask, y the van look

not a van, sedan delivery. how bad did the roof warp :confused:

Hardly any 'cause of welding over factory 90* bends. The only warpage I got, was welding one rack hole I burnt through, like an idiot, I chased it :banghead:(the roof skins on these are are way thinner than the sides) but being between 2 major body lines it's still just minor warpage.

No such thing. So panel truck

;) You got it now, like this
P1010035_thumb.JPG

Only a more moderenized version.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

alright so are you gonna lower it a little to help tuck the wheels and make it easier to unload heavy objects, or will it b just a show truck, and what are your plans for the inside

Back