Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Bolt sizes

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by White86Tercel, December 6, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. White86Tercel

White86Tercel New Member

City, State:
      Kelowna
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      4 Pre 99 Ford Explorers
      My 1998 explorer 5.0 auto is missing a few bolts.

Does anyone know the coreect length, width, or thread for the bolt to the left of the filler cap and the bolt two inches below the filler cap.
      [​IMG]

20171205_094608.jpg

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The radiator has bolts on both left and right sides, do you them on the right side to go by? The bolt heads take a 10mm socket, the best bolt will be another one from an Explorer. Hardware stores don't carry anything but generic bolts, which will work but look odd etc.

BTW, you need to work on your battery terminal connections. Those are corroded and will likely not last the Winter in that condition. I have one of those bolt on type on my ground cable, I put a higher quality version on my positive cable last year. The bolt on type should be temporary parts, until a proper cable can be installed. Good luck,

4. White86Tercel

White86Tercel New Member

City, State:
      Kelowna
      4 Pre 99 Ford Explorers
      The fan shroud housing is missing the bolts on both sides so I can't compare to the other site.

If someone knows the approximate bolt size, please let me know. Even a photo of the correct bolts might help.

Lakeside fasteners in Kelowna, BC is close to my home and they have an awesome selection of bolts and going to them is my preference.

5. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Okay, hopefully someone will chime in soon, but I can tomorrow remove one of each from my truck, after work. They are both almost common OEM bolts, the metric size closest to a 5/16" bolt. One is relatively short(1/2" or so), and the other is 1.25" or so long. The short ones you may have elsewhere on the truck in other places, if you wanted to move the new bolts to another place. The longer ones I don't think are in other places, they both like OEM bolts have built in large washers. Night,

6. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Okay, the two bolts you mentioned share the same threads and head sizes as other bolts under the hood.

You can use the bolt that holds the cruise control bracket in place, it's on the right fender, and it's almost the identical bolt as the three bolts you need to hold the radiator to the support(two on the right side, one on left). Those three bolts are maybe 1/4" longer than the CC bracket bolt, but that is close enough and will work for all three.

The bolts holding the shroud on have the same large head as the others mentioned(CC bolt), but the threads and length are identical to the small fender bolts along the top edge of each.

So remove one fender bolt, and the CC bracket bolt, and take those to see what you can find from your local store. Regards,