• Register Today It's free!

Brake fade problem.

Mill1978

Reaction score
City, State
Georgetown ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer
Hello everyone Im new here and was hoping for some help. I have notice lately that my brakes are fading but when i accel they get firm again. I own a 2004 mountaineer. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome mill

Welcome to the site, it sounds like your brakes are getting hot. Make sure all of your pads are ok, and flush out your brake fluid with new fluid. Basically just bleed your brakes until the new (clear) fluid starts to come out. Make sure to start at the furthest wheel from the master cylinder and work your way to the closest one.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the stock 2002-2005 section. Start with checking the condition of your brake pads, and rotors. I had a problem with brake fade when my front brakes overheated. The pads were as thin as cardboard, and would smoke while doing highway driving.

I just found out that my master cylinder is leaking around the front o ring. Is there a replacement part for that?

Back