• Register Today It's free!

Brake Light

mekelly

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi, I own a 1994 XLT that I recently purchased.

I noticed that the brake light doesn't come on when the parking brake is engaged. It doesn't come on when the key is turned to the 'accessories' position or when the car is started.

I am thinking it's a burned out bulb. Aren't the dash lights all supposed to come on when you first turn the key? Or could it be a switch somewhere?

If it's the bulb, how hard is it to remove the dash to replace the bulb?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, it looks like you have 3 questions here. The first, are you asking why your brake lights don't turn on when you press the e-brake. Simple, there is no brake switch on the e-brake, only the brake petal. The second, are you asking if there is a warning light that comes on the dash when the e-brake is pressed? No, not a first gen. The third question are you asking if the dash lights come on when you turn the key? No, but some of the warning lights like the CEL, batter, ABS, check oil, etc. come on, but I'm not sure which. The dash lights only turn on when you turn on the head lights. Sorry I'm having such a hard time with how you worded that, let me know if I completely biffed it.

Also, its very easy to take apart the dash. You take out your radio, un-screw the ash tray, then pop off the dash. Then you have to un-plug the 4x4 switch if you have it, and anything else. I think there are 7 hex head screws (everything on the dash is either 7mm or 5.5 mm) to take off the clear cover. After that there are 4 screws holding in the cluster. After you fight the cluster for a bit, you can get your hand behind it and disconnect the speedometer cable, then the two electrical plug ins. The lights are incandescent bulbs that twist out just like the other lights in your truck. It sounds complicated, but its really a 30 minute job once you know what you are doing. Maybe an hour your first time.

Thanks for the replies! The '94 owners manual says the brake light should come on if the parking brake isn't completely released.

Maybe they made this change for the '94. If there's no ebrake switch, then it must be a bulb.

theres a fuse in the kick panel for dash lights as well... be sure to check that... when I got mine... the fuse for my dash lights were blown

It's probably the bulb. Replace with a 194LL (Long Life) bulb so you can go another decade or so before it needs to be replaced again.

You can also replace it with a 161/161LL bulb that has an even longer rated life, but is just slightly less bright.

My Explorer has the dash Parking Brake Light and it's a '92. Just saying.

Pics please, both my 94 trucks do not. I've only seen it on a few second gens.

My 94 sport has a dash light that illuminates when the parking brake is on, I use the parking brake all the time

Pics please, both my 94 trucks do not. I've only seen it on a few second gens.

E-brake ON:

0331150710_zpsbhpg0rgh.jpg

E-brake OFF:

0331150710a_zps7chdkkrd.jpg

I hope this helps some! I have an LED in mine, so it's nice and bright too! And it should last longer than the truck will... Maybe ;)

Oh yeah, the problem could also be the switch on the E-brake. Mine didn't work. I have no clue why, it should have been making perfect contact to work but it wouldn't. I replaced the switch and now it works flawless.

Interesting. In the pic above, that's the older dash with only 5 digits on the odometer. I've never seen the light on mine but it could very well be burned out.

Back