Brake lights work, don't work, work **FIXED** | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake lights work, don't work, work **FIXED**

I was trying to see if I could find the wiring diagrams on here, but all the posts that have a link all have bad or expired links. Do you know some place I coulod find a link to the diagrams?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im having the same issue with my 94' XLT, ive narroewd it down to the splice for the lights, powertrain cont. mod, high mount Brake lt and C.C. amp. Where the eff is the splice?

I never found the diagram, but what I did find was that the brake light go through your turn signal switch. If you jiggle your turn signal switch it could fix the problem with your brake lights. A new turn signal switch is $130 from the parts store so I recommend going to a pic-n-pull where its much cheaper.

Is this the same thing?

My brake lights work, but don't come on until I have the brake pedal fully depressed. So no brake lights until after I come to a stop. Is this the brake pedal switch also?

I bet it is. Look at the pedal and understand how the switch needs pressure of the pedal to move the switch. If it's an old switch, it may be sticky. If it's a new one and you added all teh bushings as you should have, you will find it doesn't work right.

Hey all :D

I have about the same problem, But mine works until i get to a stop and the lights shut off when i slightly let up on the brake peddle.

A lot of times when slowing down to a complete stop I can hear the lights in the back Flickering on and off with just the slightest release of the brake peddle, even when it still is slowing getting to a stop. :navajo:

Any ideas? Im thinking its the brake switch, Maybe needs adjusting?

...You have a Stop light Brake switch, attached to the brake pedal...It could be going bad, need adjustment, or I have even had the factory wiring to the switch need to be adjusted..;)
0900c1528018f2d7.gif

I had the problem of my stop lights did not work only the third light ....
check what I did in order to solve the problem..
I also helped a friend that has the problem that he did not even have the third light working I did solve his problem too ... read this and post what u think

http://fordexplorersport-trac-owner...1/01/ford-explorer-stop-lights-dont-work.html

Could this switch being bad cause pressing the brake to not cancel the CC? I have to actually hit the off switch to kill the CC.

My break lights were turning on and off when I first got my truck. sometimes they would work and sometimes not. I noticed the sides would switch too...sometimes left and sometimes right... I just replaced the switch and it seems to be working fine for me. I did end up replacing a bulb before that, but I dont think was a problem.

brake lights working again, Thanks for the post!!!

Checked all fuses and nothing was bad , decided to get on the forum and saw this post and my brake pedal switch was dirty or stuck.... a little W-D and all is well.

Thanks for the assist, Great Forum. To bad all vehicles don't have such a great forum as this.

Good day all.
We have a Ford Explorer 1992 swb,manual and our rear brakes are not working,i have seen on the brake switch that there is a pin(look alike)hanging from the side.wiring looks fine,any assistance will be highly appreciated from South Africa.

Regards John-Lad

I took out 2a309 and mine work fine now, got a new switch for nothing.

sry my bad englis ( creetings from estinia).. my explorer 1994 eddye bauer has same brake light broblem ..cheked out fuses brake switsh wiring harness bulbs.. evrithing seems to be ok... but two wires on brake pedal switsc if testet there both wires are 12 plus volts all the time..strange or vhat?, or it shuold be that way.. i thing that way if prake pedal is loosen ther should be 12 volts in one pin if tested and if prake pushed fully the switch activates and electicity goes to second pin ..and further to brake light..

I never found the diagram, but what I did find was that the brake light go through your turn signal switch. If you jiggle your turn signal switch it could fix the problem with your brake lights. A new turn signal switch is $130 from the parts store so I recommend going to a pic-n-pull where its much cheaper.

Thank you so much.. Iv been searching for days trying to figure out why my brake lights will some times work and sometimes not. Sometimes left sometimes right.. it was driving me nuts.. then I saw your comment.. giggled the turn signal and Holy crap.. that's the problem.. now I'm off to get the parts. Thanks again

Back