Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Brake shoe and diff fluids.....

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Itchybruno47, November 20, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Auminer

Auminer New Member

City, State:
      S.E., Alaska
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '94 Mazda Navajo
      I took a grinder to my '87 Bronco that had plugged cats, worked fine...eh can't hear ya. 'course we don't have reg's here.
      Yup, that's my way too works for me.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Itchybruno47

Itchybruno47 Elite Explorer

93 EXPLODER XLT 4.0 OHV
      So. Update and a question.
      The leaking seal deffo caused the overheating brake issue.
      Brakes ran even temps after I replaced that seal.
      But.....brand new seal is already leaking again. Which of course has gotten on the shoes and is overheating again due to f***ing swollen brake shoe again.
      So my question is of course what the hell caused the new seal to fail already?

Cleaned everything up nor before reassembly.
      Bearings and axle has no play whatsoever when I have it sitting on frame and try to wiggle the tire as you would to find a sloppy bearing.
      Used the wood block and hammer to gently seat the new seal. No damage to seal when installed.

Could an axle shaft just be worn at the point where the seal runs that it actually lets fluid by eve with a brand new seal?

Advice and opinions greatly appreciated. Super frustrated now.
      Christmas break is looking like imma be working on the exploder. Deffo not wanting a white Christmas at this point!

Thanks ahead gang.
      IB47

4. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Metairie, Louisiana
      98 XLT 5.0
      Yes it can.

Of course you did "Wet" the seal with a little oil or diff fluid before you put the shaft back in place?

5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The axle should not be worn or it will leak immediately of sooner. A groove in the axle will let the seal have a larger gap at the bottom than normal. How did the axle look again?

6. Itchybruno47

93 EXPLODER XLT 4.0 OHV
      I did not. Which seems really stupid now that I think about it. Every seal I've ever replaced gets a gob of something smeared on it. Why shouldn't this one. Stupid of me.

The axle itself was fairly ugly but I didn't think ugly enough to be letting gear oil past a new seal. This stuff is made to get in every little crack though. Looks like I'm headed to pick a part again. Ill pull axle shafts until I find a pretty one. Gonna hit Lordco first and see what kinda deal they can give me on new ones.

Thanks again guys. I'll update as I go.
      Cheers
      IB47

Last edited: December 9, 2017
    7. Itchybruno47

93 EXPLODER XLT 4.0 OHV
      Questions:

1) brake cleaner...can it wreck an axle seal / wheel bearing seal? (outer axle seal)

B) right hand side (passenger) rear brake shoes. Larger (longer) shoe is the rear shoe and smaller (shorter) shoe is the forward shoe. Correct?

8. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Metairie, Louisiana
      98 XLT 5.0
      Both sides should be the same.

Longer shoe always goes to the back and the shorter shoe always goes to the front.

9. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Metairie, Louisiana
      98 XLT 5.0
      Possible. You would have to use a bunch and let it really soak on the seal In My opinion.

10. Itchybruno47

93 EXPLODER XLT 4.0 OHV
      Can anyone verify this? Never heard of it before...
      Pulled from a how to re and re drum bake shoes on a 92 explorer:

8. You do not need any special tool to adjust the brakes. When you put the new shoes on, move the adjusters all the way in, so that the brake shoes are as close together as they can get (with all the parts in place). Self-adjust by backing up the vehicle, and pumping the brake pedal as you reverse. Each time you hit the pedal, you will jack up the adjuster screw one click. Don't overdo it. They'll automatically adjust as you drive.....

How would this not lead to overadjuated brakes if every time you back up and hit the brakes they adjust tighter?

Last edited: December 8, 2017
    11. Itchybruno47

93 EXPLODER XLT 4.0 OHV
      Thanks. I figured as much but thought id ask. I'm just blasting it and gravity is doing its thing so nothing is getting soaked.

12. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The seal shouldn't leak if it's not old(hard), and the axle surfaces are smooth for both the seal and bearings. If you did it already, than maybe the seal got nicked or damaged at some point, and a new seal shouldn't do that again. It sounds like the axle needs to come back out, and look everything over again, replacing the seal at least.

13. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Metairie, Louisiana
      98 XLT 5.0
      Any small deformation in the running face of the shaft may cause a new seal to leak.

You would be surprised what rubber can do to a steel shaft.

Are there any grooves or notches on the face of the axle shaft that you could hang a finger nail on?

Can you post a picture?

14. gmbroy

gmbroy Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Orange VA
      1991 explorer xlt
      to answer your question about the rear brakes over adjusting them selves , the adjuster is spring loaded & can only ratchet if there is play in the brakes, once the brake shoes get tight when in use the adjuster will not be able to ratchet & thus not able to over adjust them . . I must stress to take apart the adjusting screw , clean the threads , then put anti seize on the threads every time you replace the rear brake shoes . I install new ones & all new hardware myself . I pull my bass boat with my ex & it stops on a dime . Please prelube the next rear seal . live & learn , we all do it . no biggie . good luck

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. Itchybruno47

93 EXPLODER XLT 4.0 OHV
      That makes sense. Good breakdown. Thanks. I always do the anti seize thing side I have had the exploder. When no first got it the guy I bought it from drive it to me for me to view...with one hanging up caliper that had pads down to the show backing and more than a few grooves in the rotors. The rear brakes were seized up to the point they were not even functioning. That was just under 300, 000 kms ago. It was also my first experience with drum brakes. I never new about the adjusters being automatic though. Always thought that tab was there just to hold the star wheel to where you set it. Wasn't aware it could adjust on its own.

All that being said. Do you have to periodically roll it in reverse and pump the brakes to readjust it does it actually Do it on its own with daily driving?

I'll be pull in the axle and putting a new seal on in the next few days. Have had nothing but overtime at work the last week so have had no time to tackle.

I'll post pics of axle shaft then. I'm going to Go to pick a part this weekend regardless and bringing home the prettiest axle shaft I pull out of the 9 first gen explorers that are there. I think come spring I'm going to swap the back end out for a second gen (?) rear end with disc brakes. I can handle from brake work but I really don't like it. If I can go all disc in gonna. Thanks again for all the replies and input guys.
      IB47

16. Itchybruno47

93 EXPLODER XLT 4.0 OHV
      How's the battle of north going man? Haven't heard from you back yet....

17. gmbroy

gmbroy Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Orange VA
      1991 explorer xlt
      It will adjust enough with just daily driving . its snowing here today , not sticking on the roads . Im an industrial maintenance mechanic myself & i know all too well about the overtime . when the plant is shut down is when we work the most .

18. roscoe 0202

roscoe 0202 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      salt lake city utah
      1999 explorer sport
      you can also get a speedy sleeve for the seal wear part of the axle. the sleeve is so thin that it won't harm the seal for being so tight very thin.
      roscoe

19. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Metairie, Louisiana
      98 XLT 5.0
      During first assembly I'll put the drums on and manually adjust the star wheel from the window in the back of the mounting plate to get an ever so light drag on the shoes. You can actually hear them begin to rub on the drum.

Then what I'll usually what I'll do from time to time with drum brakes is the back up at a good pace and jab the brakes, stop and pull forward a little bit to get the self adjusting mechanism to reset itself and repeat the process a few times.

The idea is that if there is enough slack in the shoes they will "Rock Backwards" on the pins and cause the arm that rides on the star wheel to roll up and tighten adjusting screw.

20. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      If you do go after another axle, find the best condition Explorer up to 2001. The axles are identical and also in the Sport Trac and Sport until they changed body styles(larger).

You can also swap to disc by just getting the brakes from the 95-01 trucks. I still have the spare 98 rear that I bought for the axles. I saved it to get the brakes from it.

21. Itchybruno47

93 EXPLODER XLT 4.0 OHV
      Funny you suggest that as I just talked to my parts guy and he said he could find a sleeve on each side of the size I need but not the right size.

22. Itchybruno47

93 EXPLODER XLT 4.0 OHV
      This is rad info.
      Appreciated man.

23. Itchybruno47

93 EXPLODER XLT 4.0 OHV
      That's how I've always set them too. Then I've always checked em and adjusted from time to time. But by adjusting through the slot at the bottom of the backing plate.

I've never known about the adjusters being "auto" or that you could set em up doing the back up deal.
      Good break down on how they function. Makes sense.

Always something else to learn.

Cheers

24. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      It has always been intended to adjust that way. But it rarely works that way, basically only when all of the parts are new or corrosion hasn't affected anything yet.
      I adjust mine by tightening it when installing the drum or disc, as tight as you can get it and put it on. The 2nd gen parking brakes are the same design, a drum inside the back of the disc. If you don't adjust them very tight(putting the disc on), the parking brake will be ineffective. My first two(98 and 99) had useless parking brakes, until I began making the disc hard to put on, when doing the brakes.