1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

brake warning light

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by ozzyfan319, June 15, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ozzyfan319

ozzyfan319 Member

City, State:
      wallingford, ct
      Year and Model:
      1995 xlt
      My e-brake light on my dash keeps coming on untill i reachabout 15mph. i have already checked to see that the pedal is entirely disengaged. i dont think the brakes are actually engaged at the time of the light, but mentally it is bugging me out. any thoughts?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. budwich

budwich Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ont
      Year and Model:
      96 XL
      Actually, if you are referring to the brake warning light in the dash, it is not likely indicating that your park brake is on (one of its functions) but more than likely indicating a problem with your brake system .... low fluid or otherwise.

4. ozzyfan319

ozzyfan319 Member

City, State:
      wallingford, ct
      Year and Model:
      1995 xlt
      idk but its the same light that is on telling me the parking brake is engaged. ive checked a million times and the pedal is all the way up
      should i just take the calipers off and see if anything is sticking?

5. gijoecam

gijoecam Village Idiot Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Trenton, MI
      Year and Model:
      98 ExSport, '00 F-150
      There are only two things that light is connected to. First is the switch on the brake pedal. Second is the level sensor on the master cylinder fluid reservoir. Top off the fluid, check for leaks, and inspect the pads (as the pad wear is usually what causes the level to drop the most).

-Joe

6. indecloudzUA

indecloudzUA Active Member

City, State:
      Tuscaloosa/Hoover Alabama
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLT 4x4
      check the brake fluid..mine did that and i noticed that it was below the full line so i just filled it up..pressed the brake a couple times and made sure it still had enough and the light was gone..