• Register Today It's free!

Brakes grab when it's wet outside

rocco123

Reaction score
City, State
Endicott, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT & 2002 Limited
I've hadthis problem for over a year. When it's raining outside, and my explorer is in the garage (or parked outside) my brakes will grab. This only happens until it's driven for a little while. I have replaced the front pads and changed all of the brake fluid, & it hasn't helped. It seems like the front brakes are what grab and cause a sudden stop.
I don't understand it. This happens during first brake applications even after it's been in the garage. What could cause it? Brake booster?
Rear shoes have plenty of material left.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine does it too. I tread lightly on the first brake application when wet then it's o.k. My GMC Safari did it too. Just the rotors being wet is all. I know it shouldn't do it but ...whatever.

I can understand that the rotors would be wet, but if I simply pull the thing to the top of my 50 ft long driveway from pulling out of the garage, they didn't have a chance to get wet. I believe it has something to do with moisture in the air. I know the brake fluid had moisture by the color, so I changed that. Heard that could cause the booster to not function right. It's just an annoyance thing, but my wife drives the truck and then I always hear about it.

That used to happen with a car I own that has drum brakes all around.

The only solution was to replace the linings.

If it's just the rear brakes locking up (which I figure it is), you may just have crappy linings.

I can stand to change the rears. I know the wheel cylinders are good ( no leaks). If they did I could understand them grabbing. Thanks for the input guys.

Rear shoe linings have definately been improved over the years to be able to handle the moisture better.

My moms explorer does this and it is really annoying. But it was the front brakes that would grab when they are wet and they only do it when it wet. But i noticed they they only do it with the ford brake pads. I changed them once and put on brake pads from the parts store and the grabbing completely stopped.

Try switching shoes/pads side-to-side, one end at a time, and see when the problem moves.

Mine do the same the thing! I never thought anything of it. Goes away in 1/8 mile.

I never had an extreme case of it binding or grabbing. I park outside. When it rains you will see rust on the rotors. The longer the vehicle sits the more rust will be present. The brakes will grab very harshly for the first block or so.Sometimes I would hear a break "groan". Once the rust was removed, I had no breaking issues. I would try semi metalic pads or ceramic. I have heard some people praise ceramic pads.

Back