Brakes sound like a mule when I back up! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brakes sound like a mule when I back up!

Ray_2009

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer XLT
Really bizarre sound and it doesn't always do it. Wen I'm backing out of garage, my brakes sound like a mule hee haa sound or a seal baying maybe? I know it sounds funny, but I'm concerned as I've never heard brakes do that.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pads and roaters look good?

Every time I get an oil change, I do the Ford service where they rotate tires, check stuff, etc. They mark the brakes as ok...however, at 88k, they likely need attention.

It doeasn't always make the sounds, and when it rains, it's more apt to make the sound.

...when it rains, it's more apt to make the sound.

That should be your clue right there. Rust on the rotors forms pretty quickly outside in the rain. I am assuming that the vehicle is parked outside. As to never hearing it before then I am surprised - it's a pretty common thing. It is likely that as your pads wear they ride looser in the caliper and can move around more. Than would make more noise than usual. If it goes away fairly quickly then no worries. As you stated though, at 88K you are pretty much ready for at least new front brakes.

Don't rule out parking brakes. Not sure about 2006-10, but some earlier Explorers had issues with the lining separating from the shoes. Hope not, replacement sounds like a royal PITA. Good luck.

Parking Brake Problems

Don't rule out parking brakes. Not sure about 2006-10, but some earlier Explorers had issues with the lining separating from the shoes. Hope not, replacement sounds like a royal PITA. Good luck.

Parking Brake Problems
Good point - at about 90K mine looked good but the shoes and all the hardware got replaced anyway. They are a pain but might as well figure it out because they have to come off to do the rear bearings - which we all know will fail.

That should be your clue right there. Rust on the rotors forms pretty quickly outside in the rain. I am assuming that the vehicle is parked outside. As to never hearing it before then I am surprised - it's a pretty common thing. It is likely that as your pads wear they ride looser in the caliper and can move around more. Than would make more noise than usual. If it goes away fairly quickly then no worries. As you stated though, at 88K you are pretty much ready for at least new front brakes.
Actually, it's garaged; however, it's driven in the rain. I assumed rust, too. Thanks.

Actually, it's garaged; however, it's driven in the rain. I assumed rust, too. Thanks.

If it's garaged then you would have noticed a difference by now between outside and inside. Unless your garage has an insane amount of humidity.
I have no idea what would make a mule sound. But I would start with new pads and rotors. You need to get someone out there to listen and at least tell you if it's coming from the front or the back. My wife can fix anything but she can help pinpoint a noise.

Back