Brett's 4.0L SOHC Swap | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brett's 4.0L SOHC Swap

Okay, the time has come to start this swap. While everyone was off goofing around in Moab over the weekend, I pulled my old 4.0L and 5spd from my sport.

Here are the details:

The patient - 1994 Explorer Sport 4.0L ohv 5spd manual 151K miles
The donor - 2004 Ranger 4.0L sohc 5spd manual 7K miles

My plan is to use as much of the original 94 electronics as possible. Yes, I could wire in the 04 electronics and computer, but I just don't want to. I'm trying to keep this swap simple so it "could" be done in a weekend.

Other details to sort out are:
Oil pan
AC
Front Dress
Fuel Line
Vaccum lines
Electrical

Pictures will follow shortly as I take them.

If anyone has done this before and can share their expience, please post in this thread. I believe that this has been done before, but as far as I know, there is not much documentation for a 1st gen 4x4 chassis. I know some ranger guys have done this with some 2wd trucks. There is very limited knowledge about this swap in the early trucks. Sure anyone can swap in 5.0L's with all the adaptors available. Let's hear about the experiences with 4.0L SOHC swap.

I would like to keep this thread on track with useful information relating to the swap. PLEASE do not post dumb comments like "where are the pictures" or "wow, this is cool". Please keep those to yourself.

Thanks,
Brett

Time spent pulling drivetrain and cleaning up = 8hrs. Total time = 8hrs.

Attachments

• brett pass front small.JPG
    brett pass front small.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 12,034
  • 04Ranger04[1].jpg
    04Ranger04[1].jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 4,895

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you guys are referring to the redline on the tach. I've taken my old 4.0 OHV past the 5K redline before. I've taken the 4.0 SOHC past 5K redline as well.

The thing is with these motors is that the power bands are really below 5K rpm's. So why the reason to spin them higher for anything other than racing?

Brett

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Brett, the SOHC has a higher power band. In stock form they shift automatically at 5500-6000rpm. The heads are higher rpm heads, along with the cam.

Did you ever get your A/C hoses hooked up? I have also done this to my '94 Ex. The donor was a wrecked '97 E.B. I also have not been able to hook up the A/C lines to the condenser.
I retained the 5R55E trans, and used the '94 transfer case.
Nice job on yours!:thumbsup:

HMMM I dont think Brett has AC in Barney (94 sport purple) just yet, the truck is parked for body work and I believe he is planning to remove the SOHC one more time for final fitment issues (I saw Brett last week)
But if I know brett hes likely using his 94 stock AC lines with the SOHC compressor. There are SEVERAL different AC lines to choose from on our Fords, they seemed to change the routing of these hoses ALOT, so it may be possible to find a line that fits your engine bay and plugs in, if not you can have a custom ac line made?

Would LOVE to see pics of your conversion, I am guessing you used the 97 computer?
Brett is running his SOHC with the 94 computer, but its a 04 Ranger 5 speed = truck scoots

The link on my signature will take you to the pictures I have so far,most were from last summer. I was able to get it in my garage, and got it running over the winter. I used the entire '97 harness. I will probably look into seeing if I can get the A/C lines made locally.

so your 94 is now OBD-II, like my 1988 thinks its a 98

Nice work!

did you add a fuel tank pressure sensor (or in your case two!)? just curious :)
do you have any codes?

I did on the front tank ,which came out of the '97, the rear is from a Bronco 2, and kept the '94 evaporative emissions on it. I have not had it running long enough to generate any codes, the battery stays disconnected while in the garage.None have come up when I did the initial sacn on it.

Did you ever get your A/C hoses hooked up? I have also done this to my '94 Ex. The donor was a wrecked '97 E.B. I also have not been able to hook up the A/C lines to the condenser.
I retained the 5R55E trans, and used the '94 transfer case.
Nice job on yours!:thumbsup:

Hey, I would love to check out your conversion. I assume that you used the electronics from the 97. Since I used the 5spd, I used the original 94 electronics.

For the AC box, I am not happy with the amount that needed to be cut from the AC box and the back of the motor still contacts the AC box. I've actually decided to graft in a section of firewall and change out the heater / AC box for something else. I've been looking for a good OEM solution, either a 2nd gen Explorer, or the Ranger donor truck, a t-bird, and even some GM examples.

For the AC compressor, I am not happy with the steering box clearance. I've actually been playing around with a bracket design to mount a 5.0L AC compressor above the power steering pump and relocate the power steering resevoir. Using this style AC compressor will allow me to make custom lines a lot easier.

I have not driven the truck very much over the past 2 years since the conversion. I've put about 6K miles on it, and have been working out the bugs. This summer, the motor and tranny will come out again in order to fix the heater box issue and resolve a few other issues.

Brett

he's alive! LOL kidding!!

I welded in the entire '97 firewall and kick panels. I was then able to use the'97 A/C box and dash. The only '94 parts left are the frame,axles, transfer case, and the shell. The rest came from the '97 donor.

thought I'd dig this thread up sense we we're talking about it in another thread.

In therory....Could I take a '99 SOHC motor and and replace my '99 OHV motor with very little of no wiring?

I don't see why you wouldnt work, u may still change the computer on the cowel? but wire harnesses are pretty similar.

Similar yes. But think about the biggest labor, the actual engine swap. If you are considering the expense of a different engine, plus that big R&R labor, why do all that and settle for the V6? The cost to make it a V8 is not much more, mainly that you have to get the trans and several parts around and in front of the engine. That's why a complete donor is best for that.

The labor to swap to a SOHC versus a 302 isn't that different, that's my point. When I get a little more mileage on my SOHC, or problems turn up, I plan to have my extra v8 parts ready.

If you wanted a rough and rugged X, a 302 would be for you. However, I am also planning on doing a SOHC conversion, and for me, I decided to go SOHC for increased power while also staying fairly economic.

well i think this is a great thread, i have been kicking around the idea of doing this swap as well. So instead of starting a new thread, how about keeping the information all in this thread!

Here are my issues that could be potential problems from what i have read: the different fuel systems in each truck: return/returnless, the motors from the 4x4's having a balance shaft in the motor that the 4x2 trucks didnt have. Also, the 5R55E tranny, isnt that computer controlled? I would think it would be mandatory to have the computer from the donor vehicle for this reason.

My ranger is 4 wheel drive and honestly i was thinking of taking it out to make the truck lighter and have less moving parts, less crap to worry about like seized u joints, transfer case, drive shafts etc.

Thoughts, please!

HMMM I dont think Brett has AC in Barney (94 sport purple) just yet, the truck is parked for body work and I believe he is planning to remove the SOHC one more time for final fitment issues (I saw Brett last week)
But if I know brett hes likely using his 94 stock AC lines with the SOHC compressor. There are SEVERAL different AC lines to choose from on our Fords, they seemed to change the routing of these hoses ALOT, so it may be possible to find a line that fits your engine bay and plugs in, if not you can have a custom ac line made?

Would LOVE to see pics of your conversion, I am guessing you used the 97 computer?
Brett is running his SOHC with the 94 computer, but its a 04 Ranger 5 speed = truck scoots

I was going to make new thread also. But I thought it be best to keep all the info in this existing thread. I hope the OP doesn't mind. so i'll go ahead and ask my question.

I am planing on building a SOHC for my 98 explorer possibly heads from supersix etc...

What would be needed to do the Ranger 5 speed swap into my 98 explorer?

I guess this is directed towards you 410 as I remember you saying in another thread "I'm an explorer book" lol.

Again hopefully I don't piss off the OP. If so I'll start a new thread.

any updates from the OP?

Updates:

Haven't really driven much since I got a Dodge diesel pickup. Am working on rust repair and eventually repainting the truck. Planning to pull the motor and trans back out and work on a better heater box solution and firewall clearance. Also have a built D44 sitting in my garage from my old Early Bronco project that is looking for a home...

Engine swap has not given me any issues at all. The one thing that it could use is a chip to help with the fuel and timing.

I've got a couple other car projects stacked up before this one, but I'm going to try to work it in before the cold weather comes so I can drive it more this winter instead of the diesel.

Brett

Neat swap, did you get back to driving it again?

Back