Brian1's Twin Trail Build (Lift, Gears, TTB Mods, Bumpers, Sliders, Cage & More!) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brian1's Twin Trail Build (Lift, Gears, TTB Mods, Bumpers, Sliders, Cage & More!)

Brian1's Twin Trail Build

1991 Ford Explorer 4-Door XL 5-Speed Manual 4x4

Project Background and Goals:

I bought this Explorer at a Police auction in August of 2015. I really didn't know what I was going to do with it when I bought it but I couldn't pass up the great deal I got. I stored it away for a bit while deciding to part it out, build it up or just flip it. In the end I decided to build it into a cheap trail truck and use it to R&D some new ideas I had on how to build an Explorer and develop some new parts.

The goal of the build was to do it cheaply while keeping it low, lightweight, and simple. Another goal was to completely transform the Explorer into a trail machine and debut it at the 20th anniversary forum run in Moab (May 2016) while keeping the entire build a secret.

The build has already been completed and made its successful debut in Moab. I will be adding to this thread as time permits of what I did.

Table of Contents - Modifications

to be filled in as the thread progresses for quick access

1" Body Lift
Rear 8.8 Swap and Build
Rear F150 Hybrid Leaf Springs
Front Daystar 2" Coil Spacer & F250 Shock Tower Conversion
Corbeau Seats Pt1
Corbeau Seats Pt2
Rear Shock Bar Pin Eliminators
Dana 35 TTB Beam Boxing
Hybrid Dana 35 Beams with Dana 44 Outer Conversion
Extended Radius Arms
Dana 35 Diff Build with LockRight Locker
Power Steering Cooler
Cutting the Rocker Panels Off
Rear Bumper Build
Front Fender Cutting
Rock Sliders Pt1
Rock sliders Pt2
Front Winch Bumper Build
Extended Breathers and Fuel Pump Access Panel
Rear Fender Cutting
Cage Building
Fabricated Door Panels/Skins
Doubler Install

IMG_20150820_113129908_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mainly because I already had it and it is quick. Plus no wires or popping the hood everytime to hook a compressor up. That said, I do like my compressor setup on my other Explorer.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Want "dibs" on the built TTB 35 if you upgrade to SAS. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

If you did SAS it would you keep it low? That would be one awesome deal if you could do that.

Absolutely! Lots to cut out if I did but I think it would work. Maybe someday...

Came across this searching for slider ideas...WOW!!! Didn't realize just how much went into this build! (Well, ok, I read the article on the D44 knuckle swap in Petersons...so I knew that much.) Guess I should have looked more closely last year! Very nice work!

Yep, Brian has built one of the most reliable, trail worthy rigs on this forum.

Don't I know it...I've rode trail along with both rigs in Moab the last two years...a little sad I won't be there this year to see it in action...

Thanks guys!

Speaking of Moab I guess its time to start some prep on this one since I'm likely taking it to Easter Jeep Safari in a week and a half. Still need to mount that console, mount an oil quart holder I made and run some power ports.

A week and a half? You must like cutting down to the wire in getting everything ready lol...

Guess I don't have much room to talk...my extended RAs and F250 towers were done about a week before driving out to Moab last year :laugh:

Haha! When I posted that (I had to look at a calendar) I thought to myself, that's closer than I thought! Not much needs to be dune luckily.

I had no idea that was a new rig last year, only noticed bigger tires than before, but I think I only saw it once. Wish I knew, I would have checked it out much closer! Excellent job putting it together!

Thanks guys!

Speaking of Moab I guess its time to start some prep on this one since I'm likely taking it to Easter Jeep Safari in a week and a half. Still need to mount that console, mount an oil quart holder I made and run some power ports.

Give them Jeepers Heck out there Brian! lol

Have a person film you doing what they can't. :D

Got the list done before going to EJS but I wound up not even wheeling the Explorer out there but rather used it as a commuter from camp to town. Got to ride and drive in a lot of other vehicles. Anyway here are the mods I did last week:

First up is an auxillary power port in the dash. I cut 2 holes through the dash centered under the a/c duct for a combo plug I picked up on Ebay with 2 USBs and 1 regular 12v port. I think it came out looking good but fair warning if you put it there - you are cutting into the a/c ducting behind the dash!

DSC06376 (Medium).JPG

DSC06377 (Medium).JPG

DSC06378 (Medium).JPG

Next was my console which I finally got bolted in but no pictures of that. I had to relocate my HAM radio so I just blindly screwed the bracket into the bottom of the dash and didn't hit anything important I guess. Radio is solid and easy to see in that spot so that will be where it stays.

DSC06380 (Medium).JPG

Finally I mounted an oil quart holder that I made to the floor in the back. I have 2 quarts trans/pwr steering fluid and 2 quarts of engine oil.

DSC06381 (Medium).JPG

I have a bunch of those 12 volt aux power plugs in the RV. They look the same. Does the USB side have goofy blue LED lights? I had to pop the little plastic "bulb" cover and black them out because they were so bright it was keeping me up at night. Does your A/C work?

Wish I had a plasma table. I would make a engine, trans, and gear oil holder that fits in where that little net covered recess is on R/R quarter.

Yes it has the blue led. It is bright. No a/c on this one, the compressor was gone when I got it (with shorter belt already installed) and I removed the condensor and related stuff last year.

Ive planned to make some kind of storage compartment where that net is for years but have never got to it. A lot of dead space right there behind it that could be useful.

Ive planned to make some kind of storage compartment where that net is for years but have never got to it. A lot of dead space right there behind it that could be useful.
That is sacred Sub-woofer space. ;)

Brian, when you removed your rockers, did you just cut them of and fold up what was left, or did you tack something up to cover it? I've got rust in the same spots, it's starting to progress, and I've been debating on either cutting mine off flush with the doors and filling it or replacing the rockers...with all the salt here during the winters, I can't just leave them open, or this super clean (for my area) truck of mine will end up looking as rotten as the rest...

Brian, when you removed your rockers, did you just cut them of and fold up what was left, or did you tack something up to cover it? I've got rust in the same spots, it's starting to progress, and I've been debating on either cutting mine off flush with the doors and filling it or replacing the rockers...with all the salt here during the winters, I can't just leave them open, or this super clean (for my area) truck of mine will end up looking as rotten as the rest...

The third picture in my rocker post (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-sliders-cage-more.446248/page-2#post-3540253 ) shows how I left them. I didn't fold anything over, it just has 2 metal seams basically running the length. My slider tube sits right under the outside seam which is the sharp one to worry about. The inside seam could be folded over but in your case I think it is better left as-is so it isn't a spot to collect moisture and rust. If you cut them I would leave them like mine and then spray on some rubberized undercoating which you should be able to find in a spray can.

Any new updates on this? :)

Not yet but I have a thing or two in the works, still... Just waiting for some stuff to show up to use with some other things I've had for 6+ months.. Hows that for being vague? :laugh:

Back