Bridgestone MTs ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bridgestone MTs ???

Does anyone have any experience with the new Bridgestone MTs with UNI-T. It looks like it has great off-road traction and also has a center channel to reduce hydroplaning effect. The Bridgestone web site does not have that much information on hydroplaning on this tire.

My existing Bridgestone Dueller ATs will probably last me until the end of this year, so I'm looking ahead and starting my research.

I have heard and read that the MTs (any brand) are not very good in the rain because of the large blocks that act like a flat surface promoting hydroplaning at med to high speed (55+MPH).

My Dueller ATs were terrible in the rain this past winter season here in CA, they were like that even when brand new. I didn't dare go over 60MPH even with all the added weight on the Explorer. My friend with the BFG ATs did better but another with the Pirelli Scorpions AT drove in the rain and said it had no tendency to hydroplane at all.

I don't have any experience with the Bridgestone M/Ts myself, but have looked at them on the web, and they do look like a great new tread design. I can tell you though that the Yokohama Geolandar A/Ts that I finally decided on are superb. They have excellent wet weather traction, good snow traction and a quiet ride. They have performed well off road, exceeding my expectations of an A/T tire.

I too was looking for modern technology in my tire choice. I wasn't impressed very much with the BFG designs, although they are tested. I know I'll go M/T next time, and will probably narrow it to either the Yokohama Geolandar M/T or the Bridgestone M/T.

------------------
Cheers,

Andrew B.
1996 Ford Explorer 4x4 (slightly modified)
BC, Canada

Thanks Bachelor25, I use my Explorer as a daily driver so I'll probably stay with the ATs. I think my choices are going to be the Pirelli Scorpion AT, Yokohama Geolandar AT, and the BFG AT-KO, it all depends on the best price I can get these for.

You might also want to look at Dunlop Radial Rover RVs. I bought a set last winter, great in the snow. I go up to Whistler almost every weekend from Vancouver. They're a bit noisy on the road, but not annoying. Also, you can buy 31's in a metric P tire (P265 75R15), they might drive a bit nicer than a 6ply LT tire.

Cheers

Dale

I can also vote with tiessen on the Dunlop Radial Rover RVs. I put a set of 30x9.5 on my truck the day I bought it, and drove them for 2.5 years (85K kms) They were good tires, (didn't find them very loud myself) and performed well in most situations. (Avg rain and snow traction) Still a good overall tire for an A/T design, but I much prefer my Geolandars now.

------------------
Cheers,

Andrew B.
1996 Ford Explorer 4x4 (slightly modified)
BC, Canada

Back