• Register Today It's free!

Broken 4x4

xploderboi

Reaction score
City, State
Kelso, Washingotn
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I have a 92 XLT with automatic hubs. I was out in the woods a few days back and needed my 4x4 so i put it in neutral like always and went to turn it on but it did not light up and the 4x4 did not engage.. Does anyone know what could be wrong and the cheapest way to fix this. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The lioght not lighting up often means the transfer case isn't engaging. A lot of times, this is due to a dirty shift motor. You can try taqpping the motor while somebody pushes the button to see if this will free up the motor. If not, go to the useful threaDS FORUM AND FOLLOW THE LINKS TO sINGLETON'S SITE. He's got instructions for cleaning the motor.

Check the electrical connector on the shift motor first. My connector had a little corrosion or dirt in it. I pulled it off, squirted contact cleaner or De-oxit into the connector, worked the connector on and off a few times, and its been good ever since. if this doesn't help, tap on the shift motor and search for the shift motor repair thread, as suggested.

Bob

i tried cleaning out the connecter but that didnt work..i cant find the thread your talking about can you please post it for me. thanks

Search, this question has been beaten to death...

i tried a search but i didnt bother asking yet cause i dont need it now but what myine does is you click 4x4 and the light comes on the back wheels spin for a second then bam it lockes in then if you stop and try to go again it does the same thing then when you shut it of you can here a grinding noise unless you back up 50 feet or more

thanks thats what i figiured i will order a set of warn manual hubs and a coversion kit

xploderboi said:
i tried cleaning out the connecter but that didnt work..i cant find the thread your talking about can you please post it for me. thanks

X-boi,

Go to the "Under the hood and driveline forum", then do a search on "shift motor", and you will find the repair procedure posted by Brian, with photos.

Note: I would not use sandpaper (unless you can find some that is extremely fine) on the electrical contact fingers on the motor position sensor. Just use a good quality electrical contact cleaner and a soft cloth. On the pronted circuit disc, use contact cleaner and a cotton swab. You don't want to scrape the plating off the contacts. If you can't get contact cleaner, you can use a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol.

Bob

The thread is also on the Useful Threads forum too I believe. You may also want to visit the Singleton Maintenance site. There is a link to that in that forum as well.

Search

Under the List of Useful Threads forum there is one for 4X4 Shift Motor Rebuild which has detailed instructions and pictures for trouble shooting or rebuilding the SM. Also, go to any forum to the search tab, to Advanced Search and search 4X4 AND "shift motor" under the Under the Hood and Driveline forum and you will get some decent hits. Good luck.

Back